• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Actual interesting analysis from RealGM, who knew?

ATLBob

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because, as I see it, he was not allowed to follow through on his rebuilding in Memphis. They are good now because of the moves he made while he was there, but they are stuck in limbo because they didn't keep him and allow him to finish out his plan.

In Atlanta, he has had only two years of rebuilding, and he has doubled the win total in that time while turning over 100% of the roster, putting the Hawks into a very good position relative to the salary cap, and has the team loaded with young talent. He hasn't buried the Hawks future by signing the likes of Kenyon Martin and Erick Dampier to long term, maximum deal contracts. He patiently waited and got a player who is actually worth a max deal in Joe Johnson. He has signed bargain free agents that have turned out very well for the Hawks in Stephen Jackson and Zaza Pachulia, and he turned Jackson into Al Harrington.

We only gave up TWO first round picks. One is the 21st pick in this year's draft. That pick will net nothing more than a back up player for the Suns. The other is yet to be determined, but I don't think the Hawks will be picking in the top 10 next year. In the long run, giving up the 21st pick and the, let's say 14th pick, is a bargain for Joe Johnson. Boris Diaw was a throw in, because he was never going to do anything in Atlanta. Billy Knight would be getting crucified on this board had he let Joe Johnson slip through his fingers because he didn't want to give up Boris. Of course, Billy Knight gets crucified by some fans just because he is breathing. I think a lot of those fans are actually afraid that he might not only succeed, but succeed in a big way if he's allowed to follow through on his plan. The interesting thing is, Kiki Vandewiegh traded THREE first round picks for Kenyon Martin, and I think Joe Johnson has already had a much bigger impact than Martin has made. Yet, there are a lot that would rather have Kiki as the GM than Billy. It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

As far as the article goes, it's not that different from drafting quarterbacks with high draft picks in the NFL draft. Big men and quarterbacks always carry more value than they should, and they always get drafted higher than where they should be slotted. Look at Michael Olowokandi going #1 overall. Patrick O'Bryant will be drafted higher than he should simply because he is a seven footer that can walk and chew gum at the same time.

The bust rate for quarterbacks drafted high in the NFL draft is very high, but you rarely ever get a great starting quarterback without using a first or second round pick on that position. The same goes for big men. While the bust rate is high, you don't find many successful big men that were drafted after the 10th pick of the draft. GM's are generally going to take a risk when it comes to getting size.

Quote:

You forget that Billy was overruled on that trade.
d*ck
Versace and Michael Heisley are responsible for that trade, not Billy Knight.

If that is the case then it is impossible to determine which deals he is responsible for, since he apparently lacks full authority to make deals.

Has he ever had a really good deal? I guess the Gasol trade is a winner, but that was a fleecing of babcock so shouldn't really count. Otherwise, he brought in a bunch of mediocre talent to Memphis (Wright, Battier, Swift, etc.). He has never built a winner and until he does in Atlanta he remains a question mark as a GM.

I'm starting to really build a hate for BK. Not for the drafting or trades but because he has disappeared and doesn't say anything to anyone. Communication is part of his job and he isn't doing it.

As to trades - I thought he got taken by giving that second pick to Phoenix. ZaZa was a plus. Always kind of thought he gave Rasheed away too cheap. Hasn't handled the AL situation well. Traded Jon Barry for Lue. Traded Antoine Walker for Gary Payton and a draft pick and change - gave the pick to Phoenix and Waived Peyton. Signed and then waived Kenny Anderson. Kind of a mixed record. And now we'll be entering the FA season and every one knows BK's job is on the line and is desperate - so get out the KY jelly.

On the other hand, he seems to do very well drafting. Smoove, Chill, Marvin (sorry Diesel), Salim ... Pretty good eye for talent. Maybe it is the negociating part with other teams that he has to get better at.

Quote:

You are a blind sheep. Let's hear it KB "baaaaa".

So, KB is a "blind sheep" because he stands against the media (both local and national) and most of the members of this board in his support for BK?

I thought sheep followed the flock without thinking independently. It seems a sheep would be in there railing against BK with the rest of you.

What a stupid metaphor. It takes no creative thought to repeat a hackneyed cliche. The least you can do is use it correctly.

Quote:

Quote:

You are a blind sheep. Let's hear it KB "baaaaa".

So, KB is a "blind sheep" because he stands against the media (both local and national) and most of the members of this board in his support for BK?

I thought sheep followed the flock without thinking independently. It seems a sheep would be in there railing against BK with the rest of you.

What a stupid metaphor. It takes no creative thought to repeat a hackneyed cliche. The least you can do is use it correctly.

KayBee is a proven liar not to mention he lacks any objectivity when dealing with issues reguarding Billy Knight.

Quote:

We only gave up TWO first round picks. One is the 21st pick in this year's draft. That pick will net nothing more than a back up player for the Suns. The other is yet to be determined, but I don't think the Hawks will be picking in the top 10 next year. In the long run, giving up the 21st pick and the, let's say 14th pick, is a bargain for Joe Johnson. Boris Diaw was a throw in, because he was never going to do anything in Atlanta. Billy Knight would be getting crucified on this board had he let Joe Johnson slip through his fingers because he didn't want to give up Boris. Of course, Billy Knight gets crucified by some fans just because he is breathing. I think a lot of those fans are actually afraid that he might not only succeed, but succeed in a big way if he's allowed to follow through on his plan. The interesting thing is, Kiki Vandewiegh traded THREE first round picks for Kenyon Martin, and I think Joe Johnson has already had a much bigger impact than Martin has made. Yet, there are a lot that would rather have Kiki as the GM than Billy. It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

As far as the article goes, it's not that different from drafting quarterbacks with high draft picks in the NFL draft. Big men and quarterbacks always carry more value than they should, and they always get drafted higher than where they should be slotted. Look at Michael Olowokandi going #1 overall. Patrick O'Bryant will be drafted higher than he should simply because he is a seven footer that can walk and chew gum at the same time.

The bust rate for quarterbacks drafted high in the NFL draft is very high, but you rarely ever get a great starting quarterback without using a first or second round pick on that position. The same goes for big men. While the bust rate is high, you don't find many successful big men that were drafted after the 10th pick of the draft. GM's are generally going to take a risk when it comes to getting size.

that's a good post and that should explain why NOONE should hate BK. dont' think he's the best out there? fine. don't like his gruff attitude? fine. but he is FAR FAR FAR from a horrible GM just because some of you think you know how easy it is to force another team to make the trade you want and how players fit together. sure some of his moves many of us feel could be A BIT better but he by no means has pulled any isiah thomas moves.

some people just see what diaw is doing this year and heare the words "two first round picks" without analyzing what those would have meant to Atlanta in the scope of things. he's doing a fine job. sure who wouldn't like Billy to be releasing statements stating what he wants to do just to keep our Hawks fix going...but if he is to be sly, he cannot show his hand.

again, not like some of the details of certain moves, fine. but there is no logical reason other than some strange affliction that has grown inside of you that anyone should downright hate BK and his moves..

if any of you do, please list below the reasons why, i will try to explain the fault in your logic and i want you to tell me why my explanation is wrong.

Once again, tell me when he has had a chance to build a winner.

He put the foundation that the Grizzlies are currently built upon in place. Their foundation is Pau Gasol and Shane Battier. Everything else around them has changed. As far as Stromile Swift goes, go take a look at John Hollinger's draft do overs. Even though he hasn't lived up to his potential, he is still rated as the 4th best player to come out of that draft. Considering that Kenyon Martin hasn't put up stats that are much better than Stromile Swift's, Billy made the right pick in that draft.

Quote:

In Atlanta, he has had only two years of rebuilding, and he has doubled the win total in that time while turning over 100% of the roster, putting the Hawks into a very good position relative to the salary cap, and has the team loaded with young talent. He hasn't buried the Hawks future by signing the likes of Kenyon Martin and Erick Dampier to long term, maximum deal contracts. He patiently waited and got a player who is actually worth a max deal in Joe Johnson. He has signed bargain free agents that have turned out very well for the Hawks in Stephen Jackson and Zaza Pachulia, and he turned Jackson into Al Harrington.

BK has been rebuilding for two years because he decided to stand pat his 1st year. Maybe that was a mistake? He started as GM, replacing Babcock, in April of 2003 before the draft and before the free agent signing period.

He had been Director of Basketball Operations for us prior to that. He knew our players and their level of talent prior to his taking complete control in 2003. From what our record shows here, he has not doubled anything but his own lousy record from his 2nd year...

2005-06 26 56 .317=GM BK draft and the whole season

2004-05 13 69 .188=GM BK draft and the whole season

2003-04 28 54 .341=GM BK draft and the whole season

2002-03 35 47 .427=GM Babcock

Now I am not saying he is a bust, but until we win at least 50 ( FYI please do not use 30 as a criteria for success; just makes me sick to think about only 30 wins ), he has not done squat to prove himself in any league...

Give me a break.

His first year as the GM, the ownership situation was in flux. Billy couldn't do anything, and he didn't have a long term deal. It was at the mid point of that year that he pawned off the contracts of Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Theo Ratliff, and Glen Robinson. That started the rebuilding process. He made those moves without knowing if he would have a job after that season due to the flux of the ownership. AOL/TW was selling, it was rumored for almost a year that David McDavid was buying. Billy didn't choose to go into that first season with Glen, Reef, and Theo. He had no choice but to accept that they were on the team.

Quote:

Give me a break.

We are talking about the real world corporate world here. You want a break or some damn sympathy; go back to what ever lalal land disney world crib you were born in...

Are you really a grown man or just pretending to be one?

Quote:

Are you really a grown man or just pretending to be one?

I would say that's a fair question, judging by some of the online tantrums KB has.

I would hope he's not like that in real life, or you would have to question whether he's emotionally stable enough to become a doctor.

Quote:

I would say that's a fair question, judging by some of the online tantrums KB has.

I would hope he's not like that in real life, or you would have to question whether he's emotionally stable enough to become a doctor.

That is funny man....

I'm only this way when I'm confronted by a bunch of idiots with dumbass opinions.

And like I said in another post. You guys are lucky you can say this stuff while hiding behind a computer screen, because you wouldn't say it to my face. That's a fact!

Quote:

And like I said in another post. You guys are lucky you can say this stuff while hiding behind a computer screen, because you wouldn't say it to my face. That's a fact!

And now the internet tough-guy routine. That's so cliche, but just another classic KB **meltdown**.

Quote:

I'm only this way when I'm confronted by a bunch of idiots with dumbass opinions.

this jack@ss is straight out of "A living color" skit.

JimBob wannabe KB: "i just got back from eatin some goood aaaasss deer meat jimmy bob. by the way i'm a huntin me a doctors license. can you get them at there Wal-Mart like them there huntin' licenses? i sure would like to live in them there houses with that there whatcha call it there? washin mushins? i won't be havin ta hang grannies undies on that there line no mo if i cun get me that dad gum fishin, 'cuse me doctors license there Bo. purhaps i can be uh what they call uh proctologist. you know Jimbob that's french for doctor don't ya?"

Quote:

I know KB. You are the brave one and the rest of us are just hiding behind our words and computers. You are either a totally clueless adult or seriously young and imature.

I cannot figure out which, but I am leaning towards the young and imature one, that way I never have to worry about someone close to me ever having surgery done by you...

God that would be a nightmare!