• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Too many Squawkers on the potential train?

Diesel

• Premium Member

This draft is not about potential neither is this offseason. We have enough potential to last us for years and years. There's nothing wrong with Shelden at 5 except the fact that some believe he has no potential. That's BS. Realistically, in this draft with no Lebrons or Howards, you have to look at who is the best. The best playes out of this draft are Morrison followed by Shelden. PERIOD. The fact that we might be able to get Shelden at 5 is a win for us. He's the best player at the most needed position.

I listen to Squawkers cry about the PG position and yes the PG position is a concern but we can find a PG. Claxton, Banks, Cassell will be available. Bernie Bickerstaff has said that he is looking to trade Brevin Knight. I believe we can get Knight probably for Salim or maybe less than that. Moreover, it's not like Lue is not able to play some PG as JJ plays some PG too. The problem is that finding a good defensive player who can man the interior is very difficult. We have searched through free agency for the last 3 years.

And like it or not, our young players are both Sfs...

It's time to embrace the idea of Shelden AT PF... being our defensive stopper in the frontcourt.

A recent post cited an article that noted that highly drafted Bigs are less likely to pan out, in the NBA, than highly rated guards. In my opinion, that is true only because most GM's value size and length in the Bigs more than their production as players. The old saying the you can't teach size is adhered to like a mantra. Guards are usually rated according to their production. I think that you should always evaluate a player by his production on the court....very little else matters.

This is why I rate Sheldon Williams higher than Aldridge. Bargangni may be the top guy, but I have never seen him play. Aldridge has size and athleticism over Sheldon, but Williams is just flat out productive as a defender. The day may come that Aldridge will become a player in the NBA, but my money is on Sheldon.

• Premium Member

Exactly.

Too many squawkers in particular want to view how well a player will do based on his 40 time and his standing reach and his wingspan rather than what he does on the court.

I think Smart GMs have figured out it's not the wingspan or size but what a player can do that makes the most difference.

David West was a 20 ppg, 12 rpg, 1.6 bpg player when he left Xavier. He measure 6'8 1/2 with a wingspan of 7'4 1/4"... He got snubbed in the draft.

Shelden is more prominent that West.. Played at a higher level for a better school. People still want to snubb him because of the reach and lengths??

It's craziness.

• Premium Member

Well, first understand that I don't like Duke Basketball, Notre Dame Football, or the NY Yankees... So it's hard to admit that a Duke guy would be the right guy for us especially after Roshown McLeod.

However, I watched Duke play a lot of people this year (hoping for the other team to win).. I watched the game with LSU, I watched the game with Texas, I watched 2 WF games, I watched the games with UNC. What I can tell you is that even though a lot of those games were a Redick showcase, Shelden does quite a number as a big.

When we talk here, all we mention is his defense. He is that, but the guy can play on the offensive side of the ball. I have felt that Thomas was a bust. I have not liked Bargnani because he's a Sf. I have gone back and fourth on Aldridge liking his size and potential but hating the fact that he seems soft now and in interviews he sounds more like a PF/Sf than a PF/C. And Cedric Simmons I would take.. with no real excitement.

In Shelden, I see a fit to all of our holes in the front court. The fact that he's 6'8 1/2 just cemented my feeling about him. He has just proved himself over and over... He's not flashy but he gets the job done. The only player I would want ahead of him right now is Morrison.

• Premium Member

Morrison is probably the best player in this draft. Should we draft him, of course trades would have to be made.. however, he would easily become our best Sf.

Or maybe we'd play him at Sg and make JJ our Point forward.

Quote:

...The only player I would want ahead of him right now is Morrison.

Not to change the subject too much, but what's the deal with the Raptors giving some Italian coach a job? Does that automatically mean they are taking Bagnani? It would seem kinda rude to the dude to bring him over here for a job just to use him as a smokescreen and then take somebody else and then can him.

I can't quite understand it - yet - draftexpress has Toronto taking Morrison first on their mock.

• Premium Member

I'm not promoting drafting him.. but if he were available, I would think 2.4 of the 5 minutes would have to be spent thinking of what moves we could make to accomodate him. The guy is a gamer.

My only concern about him is his health.. but the guy has passion and desire that I wish we could find in our players. Plus he's an unstoppable scorer.

For the life of me I can't figure out why a GM would take Bargnani over Morrison? Morrison dominated in college against pretty good competition. Bargnani hasn't done anything near that. We KNOW Morrison will be a great scorer. Bargnani doesn't look like he's going to be a defensive stopper either - what gives?

It'd serve Colangelo right if Bargnani doesn't pan out and Morrison lights it up.

• Premium Member

I think it will play out that way.

I think the thing is that Since Lebron, GMs have become locked in on what could be instead of what is.

Here's the analogy.

I have this coin. If you hold it long enough, it could be worth $1000.00.

vs.

I have $900.00.

It's like people who wake up every day and spend a dollar on their local lottery.

There's far too much emphasis placed on HOPE and not enough placed on Ability.

Re Sheldon: Two important attributes that I have not heard talked about much are maturity and leadership.

He is a couple years older than most of our young guys. His maturity and leadership in college is second to none. Very impressive and thus he will contribute right away to help our other young tallent be realized. To add another young guy that will take a couple years will not further the development of the guys we have.

I think there are more talented players and guys who will be stars, but Sheldon is a blue colar guy that is the best pick for us given our other young talent.