• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

BK has fooled you all!

Wurider05

• Premium Member

Being that marvin was drafted on his potential, until he reaches his potential, he should come off the bench.

Look... seeing that everybody likes to compare Marvin to Kobe, didn't the Lakers do Kobe the same way? The answer is yes, Kobe shared the 2 guard spot with Eddie Jones. When Kobe showed that he was able to take the position over, Jones was traded.

However, at no time did the Lakers not continue to complete their team.

You might have something if Shelden played the same position as Marvin.. but they are 2 totally different players playing 2 totally different positions. In fact, they could play on the floor at the same time.

What you have to get over is your obsession with redundacy that will kill our team by playing players out of position.

About Marvin, if you would understand..

I bash his pick.

I bash his redundancy.

Is that a bash on him? Not neccessarily.. I think Marvin will be a good player, not a great player.. but I truly beleive that Marvin won't ever live up to his pick.

I would have rathered we picked one of the elite PGs...

Imagine that.

Moreover, we have both a player who can play C and a means to get a PG. So our BIGGEST need becomes a Post player who can defend the interior... If you don't believe me, notice our opponents FG% numbers.

Also.. Nobody in the draft will be a better C than Zaza so what's the purpose?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

I don't really have in a dog in this fight, but I was wondering, how do we know for sure that Sheldon will be a 4. Can he not play any minutes at the 5. Is it possible that we might be picking him because we are confident he can play the 5. At the worst, it could be possible that he would split time at the 4/5. If Sheldon did that, he would play roughly 15-20 min at the 4 every night. Then there would be around 76 min for Marvin and Smoove to split at the 3/4. That seems like enough time for me for everyone to play plenty of minutes.

Heres to hoping we will have plenty of depth next year.

Ok so lets say Marvin reaches his potential within the next 2 years, that means we still have 3 players that play the same position rather then addressing our need for a center and/or a point guard and people wonder why we will continue to be a crap team. Players like Sheldon Williams are a dime a dozen. You don't take 10 point and 8 reb per game players as a top 5 pick when there are options that have higher upside available at the pick.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Players like Sheldon Williams are a dime a dozen.

Fraid this is wrong.

Shelden is a 2 time NCAA defensive player of the year. The only player that has had that distinction in recent history is Okafor.

Shelden is 3rd in the History of the NCAA in ppg, rpg, and bpg The oher two players who have excelled in this distinction are Ralph Sampson and Pervous Ellison.

He is the third player in ACC history to have 1,500 points, 1,000 rebounds and 350 blocks (joining Tim Duncan and Ralph Sampson).

Shelden is a Wooden 1st team all american.. the people who share that distinction:

2006 Men's Wooden Award All-American Team

Dee Brown 5'11" Sr. Guard Illinois

Glen Davis 6'9" So. Forward LSU

Randy Foye 6'4" Sr. Guard Villanova

Adam Morrison 6'8" Jr. Forward Gonzaga

Kevin Pittsnogle 6'11" Sr. Center West Virginia

Allan Ray 6'2" Sr. Guard Villanova

J.J. Redick 6'4" Sr. Guard Duke

Brandon Roy 6'6" Sr. Guard Washington

Craig Smith 6'7" Sr. Forward Boston College

Shelden Williams 6'9" Sr. Forward Duke

The three finalist for the wooden Award was Morrison, Redick, and Shelden Williams.

Now if you really want to talk about Dime a dozen... you need to look at Marvin. There's always somebody with good size and length that you can expect to be something but never turn out.. For example:

Darius Miles, Tim Thomas, Qyntel Woods, Billy Owens, Tony Massenberg, etc.

I keep hearing about redundancy at a position, or doing what is best for Marvin's development. But, the mgt should be doing what is best for the franchise to win soon. We have a nice group of players, in the right positions, but ZERO low post defensive forwards/centers. Shelden is completely different from any other forward we have, he is a post player and great defender. JSmith and Marvin are 3's and that is it. Smoove is playing the best, so he can start and we can bring Marvin, JChildress and Salim off the bench. That is quality depth and that is what makes playoff contenders. Moreover, the competetion between the 3's would make them greater, than trading the guy in front of him. I mean, why would we just hand over the starting job to a guy who has not earned it, yet? If we just get rid of players so our high draft picks can start, then we will never have quality depth and that would make us the exact team that we are now.

Quote:

We got enough players with upside. We need to start surrounding them with establish players. Players who can play now. How long are we going to play this potential game? I want to start winning now. We got our core of young players in place. Start surrounding them with proven players. Shelden is a proven player.

EXACTLY! Couldn't agree more.

Quote:

So, does last year's #2 stay on the pine?

I honestly believe that it's only the fans that would be pissed if Marvin is "on the pine". They want to be able to say Marvin was the "right" pick and in order to do that he needs to - not just get starter minutes - BE a starter and produce.

Marvin doesn't complain about his minutes or otherwise, he didn't at NC and he won't for us. He's just happy to be playing, I'm sure. There will be a time for Marvin, he understands this as does our coaching staff (more than likely). There is NO reason to rush his development.

That's wild that you mentioned him because I have wondered what happened to him. If you go back and look at how he was rated weeks/months before last year's draft, he was in the top 5-10. Has he been in Europe? How has he played?

Bottom line on Sheldon, he makes the young talent we have better this year. He's the blue collar guy that brings out the upside of the studs we have. That's his value.

On the other hand, wouldn't surprise me if we trade down and get one of the pg's we brought in.

Quote:

At the worst, it could be possible that he would split time at the 4/5. If Sheldon did that, he would play roughly 15-20 min at the 4 every night. Then there would be around 76 min for Marvin and Smoove to split at the 3/4. That seems like enough time for me for everyone to play plenty of minutes.

Heres to hoping we will have plenty of depth next year.

You've hit the nail on the head. This is why I've become okay with Shelden at the fifth pick. He gives us depth at the 4 AND the 5.

Salim | Lue | Childress

Johnson | Childress

Marvin | Childress

Smith | Shelden

Zaza | Shelden

We pick up Claxton in FA and SnT Harrington and Lue for Martin or Nene (minus Lue) and we get this...

Claxton | Salim

Johnson | Childress

Smith | Marvin

Martin | Shelden

Zaza | Shelden

Hmmm.

Phoenix went to the Western Conference Finals with two 6'8" guys playing the majority of the time at center. Detroit has won a championship with a 6'7" center in Ben Wallace.

Why is it so hard to see that the game is changing, and that there are simply very few seven footers who will make a major impact in the NBA these days?

Answered my own question. Here's info from Israel.

John Gilchrist

Maccabi Rishon LeZion

Birth Date 06/29/1984

Position Point Guard

Height 187 cm

Country United States

Status Foreigner

Description Born in Newport News, VA... Played college ball in Maryland... Left after 3 years, and wasn't drafted... Originally was supposed to play in Greece, but left before the season... Great talent, whose only question about him is his mental side... Very physically strong... Great defender...

Achivements Won the ACC Championship in 2004

Voted ACC Tournament MVP in 2004

Complete Career Stats | Game log

He averaged 29 minutes a game, 13 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists per game.

Go look at most NBA scouting reports and the listed big weakness in SW game is his athleticism, or lack thereof...so he really doesn't fit in the new fast paced game. If you want to play that way then go get your yourself an athlete...the Suns don't have one plodder on the court like Shelden Williams.