• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Status report on Hawks from Jason Walker.

Hoosier

This is what I've contended all along has to happen with the Hawks' handling of affairs this summer and beyond. Which may not be a bad thing, the young nucleus will stay together and mature together for another season.

This report seems to be in direct conflict with what was reported from the season ticket holders meeting. Maybe they had not come to grips with reality yet, then.

The link: http://realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=530900

• Premium Member

This was the question that I had from the very start. It just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

First...

This is what these guys do for a living, no? They make money. They deal with contracts and business. So, they DON'T go into this venture with protecting themsleves as priority number one?

Secondly...

Given that they might make a mistake on any given contract; they wouldn't look at a business venture THIS HUGE and THIS SIGNIFICANT and have a little extra precaution going in?

Third...

All of their legal advisors went over this contract, knowing both points above, and did not catch this loophole?

...and it is one thing for you or I to go out and secure legal assistance in a business matter - but for these guys? Imagine the cost and relative experience/expertise of THEIR legal staff - and the size.

Fourth...

After looking at the wording of this contract, and watching Belkin wipe his ass with it, Team Spirit ignores the only avenue that they "legally" have to do something about it?

Lastly...

Their high powered, high cost, legal team absolutely advised them that this is the best way to go about handling the situation.

Wow...

I get the feeling that either they simply did not have the capitol to follow through on the legal route or Team Spirit (and their legal advisors) simply knew all along that they were in a bad spot.

I disagree with the article regarding free agency. The owners could still make moves. Belkin would just move that the Atlanta Spirit put up a bond to to guard against a drop in value of the franchise.

The NBA won't allow a franchise to stay in limbo and not make any moves..the NBA doesn't benefit by having a non-functional team in the 9th largest TV market.

I hope you are right Johnny. Even if we let Al Harrington walk the least we could do is sign David Anderson and make a bid for Jay Williams. If the Hawks don't make any moves this offseason I will not go to any games this year. No matter if they are giving away $10 tickets.

I think they brought Jay Williams in for a workout and determined that he just was not physically ready to play yet.

Again, if true, Jaywalker's info (which has been very reliable in the past) is the ype of stuff that will prevent this franchise from being competitive in both the long and short term. Too bad.

I don't understand how Belkin could operate the Hawks on the cheap. The team is reportedly projected to lose $20 million next year. You can't get to much cheaper on the payroll than we are right now. With JJ, the most expensive year is behind the Hawks and JJ would be a good deal for the team going forward.

• Moderators

Quote:

I don't understand how Belkin could operate the Hawks on the cheap. The team is reportedly projected to lose $20 million next year. You can't get to much cheaper on the payroll than we are right now. With JJ, the most expensive year is behind the Hawks and JJ would be a good deal for the team going forward.

Don't add any significant salary and don't resign Marvin, Josh Smith, etc. Just do like the Clippers did and let your lottery picks leave and replace them with new, cheap lottery picks.

• Premium Member

Belk comes in and trade JJ off for Draft picks and ending contracts.

Just for an example...

JJ to Chicago for Nicoini, Gordon, and their pick and rights to the NY exchange.

He would probably let Nicioni go free agent, pick up a Center in the draft and claim that we had our core players for the future.. but when our players rookie contracts were up, he'd trade them for more rookie contracts.

That's terrible news.

But even if Belkin wins the appeal and gains contol of both teams, he'll still have to gain approval of 75% of each league's Board of Governors in order to take over those teams (this according to the AJC). Failing 75% approval, then once again we are up in the air, and once again this matter will be headed back to the courts.

This really sucks. I'm beginning to hate Belkin with a passion.

I was hoping because of that, Stern would step in behind the scenes and tell Belkin privately that he would have no chance of winning NBA approval, and would have to settle.

But I just heard Bob O'Neal on 680 say that he just talked with Belkin last week, and that he has every intention of owning the Hawks and Thrashers.

Stern will not roll over and play dead. He's sees it as his league and the other owners see it as their investment. If Belkin comes in and messes with either, he's not dealing with the Atl Spirit. That's minor league compared to the other ownes and Stern.

One thing I've come to understand in my 20 years of business is that deals are done behind closed doors and then people come out and pretend like they've made a decision. And the same is true with Stern. Don't underestimate him.

• Premium Member

Like on Wrasslin when somebody has done something illegal and the promoter steps in and holds up the championship.. It would be funny and sad if Belk goes through to get the Hawks and Stern steps in and says.. Now way.. The Hawks are up for grabs to the highest bidder! Belk you will sell out at cost!

Now,, that, i would enjoy...

to see Belk's face when Stern screws him!

I have to take this with a grain of salt. Who did he talk to? And if it was someone who did know something, it stands to reason that they would've been told to keep their mouth shut. Spreading these rumors would not be in their best interest or the team. I think Walker is legit, but talking to him with the chance it would get out would make it risky for the source.

Where is our Basketballprinces when we need her. Time for her to give us her inside info. Maybe we pissed her off?