• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If the Hawks happen to take Shelden (Gumby) Willia

SmooveTheFuture

Any one else Gonna just be super pissed off?????????? ( I MAY PUKE IF THIS HAPPENS). We can not make a mistake for the 3rd year in a row no way. This guy is freaking 6'8! hes not gonna help stop the Howards, Garnetts of the NBA. If we go BIG we better be going with a 6-11/7 Footer or just pass on a big totally. There is some 7 Footers out there in Free Agency who I feel can be the same player Shelden Williams would be for us at 5 Also dont forget we still have Zaza Whose only 22.

This guy doesnt even fill a starting spot for us unless the Hawks plan to use him at Center mind he would be the shortest starting in the NBA and both our SFs and PFs would be taller then him. If we draft Williams that means that either hes coming off the Bench or Marvin Williams. So now our 2nd overall pick from last year is still not a starter with this pick makes zero sense. We do not need a 6'8 PF please thats the least we need. Why is that BK has to make questionable picks every year why he cant make the right pick. THis Shelden Williams isnt even a top 10 talent IMO and we are gonna draft him at 5? We never even worked the guy this is ridculous. We need a PG in the worst way and we've been passing on some good ones the last years. Look Chris Paul, Felton, Deron Etc. I would really like to the see the Hawks Draft either Alridge or Randy Foye both of these guys who evers left can come right in and start at either the 1 or 5 2 of the biggest needs we have on this team. I was reading that the Hawks wanna run more next year wanna use our freakish guys to there strengths theres no better way to run there a GOOD PG which Randy Foye is. A PG would make everyone on this team better JJ can play his natural postiion this guy can get the ball to our young guys on the break penetrate be the floor leader. How many more years are we gonna pass on a Great PGs ESPN has Randy Foye as the steal of the draft. If hes looking at in this face at 5 and we dont take him this franchise has no hope wat so ever. PLEASE GOD DONT LET US TAKE A 6'8 BLOCK HEAD WHO TO ME DOES NOT HAVE A HIGH CEILING!!!

Make a mistake for the 3rd year in the row? So you're calling your boy Josh Smith a mistake as well?

Why do some of you think height is the only thing that matters? If Height was the only thing that mattered Manut Bol would have been the GOAT followed by Shawn Bradley.

Shelden Williams can't shutdown Garnett? Who can?

Shelden may always be shorter than his opposition but he will also almost always be stronger with a lower center of gravity which levels the playing field. It's how Ben Wallace and Elton Brand are still great defenders despite usually being shorter than the man they are defending.

Shelden may not be Ben Wallace on D but he was more productive as a defender in college than Elton Brand so don't rule out the 2 time DPOTY in college transitioning that D to the pros with that 7'4 wing span and all that strength not going anywhere anytime soon.

I hate the idea of drafting him also, but BK is an idiot. Past years I was ok with it but now I am not. Who is going to be our starting PG, becasue both Ivey and Lue suck. No FA is gonna want to play for the idiots we have in the front office. The only way we can get other players here is thru a trade and that seems higly unlikely also.

Quote:

Make a mistake for the 3rd year in the row? So you're calling your boy Josh Smith a mistake as well?

I consider talking Marvin Williams at 2 passing on 3 awesome Point Guards and an Allstar Point Guard in Paul a mistake yes. I believe the Hawks passing on Iguodala, Luol Deng, and Jameer Nelson was also a mistake all these guys have way more talent and upside then Childress does. Not dogging the players Iam saying there taken at the wrong spots in the draft. Who would you rather have right now Paul, Iggy , Smooove or Marvin , Childress and Smoove ill take the 1st group. Whats done is done I understand that but lets make the right moves for once!

Quote:

I hate the idea of drafting him also, but BK is an idiot. Past years I was ok with it but now I am not. Who is going to be our starting PG, becasue both Ivey and Lue suck. No FA is gonna want to play for the idiots we have in the front office. The only way we can get other players here is thru a trade and that seems higly unlikely also.

BK may envision a team with Joe Johnson as the future PG with Childress running the two. It puts the ball in the playmakers hands. Or maybe we get a PG in the 2nd round. The PGs that will be available are certainly better than the big men that will be left in the 2nd.

We might just have PG by committee with Lue, Ivey, Salim, and a rookie.

PG is not why we lost games folks. I don't see why some of you can't understand this concept. Our offense was superior to our defense in every aspect of the game.

Our defense struggled the most in the interior. It's not that hard to figure out why we lost so many games.

Opposing teams could literally score at will on us in the paint last year. We can't let that continue to happen if we are serious about making a significant leap next year like we made this year.

I dont know how many Hawks games you watched but Joe Johnson is not a PG he turns the ball over way tooooooo much. Do you realize we could be running teams off the court with the type of players we have? We have run and gun type guys with NO legit PG to run the break how many years are we gonna pass on great Point Guards. I have no doubt if this team goes with the RUN and GUn offense we will be a much better team. If we had a PG Joe Johnson would really shine as he doesnt have to be bringing up the ball all the time we can finally have a PG who penetrates and finds shots for other players on our team. A great PG will help this team more then a 6'8 Forward I dont care what you say. These young guys need a floor leader and general to direct traffic out there. We can take a big via free agency which can have a similar impact to what Shelden Williams would do. I dont see this guy having a big upside to his game in the NBA bottom line this is a read pick lets take the best player on the board to fill 1 of 2 biggest needs.

Joe Johnson had a better assist to turnover ratio than several players including Tony Parker.

He was in a category with Allen Iverson, DWade, and Lebron when it came to points, assists, and steals. So clearly putting the ball in his hands wasn't such a bad idea.

If you think a pass first PG improves this team more than interior defense you're nuts.

I must be nuts to think a 6'8 Forward is gonna stop Elton Brand, Dwight Howard, 7 Foot Dirk, 7 Foot Rasheed, Chris Bosh , Duncan, Jermaine Oneal, Shaq the list goes on. Shelden Williams will not be able to stop ANY of these guys. You think this guy is the next bill Russell or something where are the Hawks gonna play Blockhead? I will take Joel Przybillas, Samuel Dalembarts, Nene and Ben Wallace shot blocking over Williams any day. We could trade or sign for any of these guys in the offseason and not have to waste a pick on them. Factor in the fact we are drafting for the present and future. Next years pick is going to the Suns. So there will be no PG to take next year. I dont see this team going anywhere with the current PGs we have right now short ball hog Point guards who think shoot before anything else.

Actually if Lue and Ivey's sorry behind's would play some D, and learn that fouling a player is not called defense then we would be straight. Basketball is a team sport we are a sorry defensive team it does'nt just fall on the shoulders of 1 or 2 players.

The Hawks gave up too many points in the interior. Teams would send their backcourt up the gut for easy points lay ups and dunks. Sheldon would shut the paint down to that nonsense. Sheldon may not have the height to block JO's shots, but he has the size to box him out and make JO work harder for his points.

Foye is the best guard in this draft, in my opinion. But, adding him to the roster is not more important than adding Sheldon.

I wanted Chris Paul last year, but this year, I am backing Sheldon for our pick.

Quote:

I must be nuts to think a 6'8 Forward is gonna stop Elton Brand, Dwight Howard, 7 Foot Dirk, 7 Foot Rasheed, Chris Bosh , Duncan, Jermaine Oneal, Shaq the list goes on. Shelden Williams will not be able to stop ANY of these guys. You think this guy is the next bill Russell or something where are the Hawks gonna play Blockhead? I will take Joel Przybillas, Samuel Dalembarts, Nene and Ben Wallace shot blocking over Williams any day. We could trade or sign for any of these guys in the offseason and not have to waste a pick on them.

Ok, I'm fairly tired of comments like these. Well, we could JUST . . . . Just?!? All these guys have issues.

Pryz--We dissed him once. Sure, we'll just sign him since there's no other compeition and the Hawks are way more attractive than his current team.

Dally--The Sixers will probably just give him to us (actually they might). Nice, GINORMOUS salary and the lack of offensive production plus his defensive inconsisitency make it a no brainer.

Nene--He's recovering from a significant knee injury, has quite a few questions about his game, and enjoys restricted free agent status.

Big Ben--The best call. Extra, extra read all about it, Ben Wallace to abandon Pistons for Hawks, says, "I've had with success in Motown. I'm ready for the Southern side of life."

Currently, Atlanta ranks third from last about where NBA players want to play. That doesn't bode well for FAs, does it?

These deals ain't easy and aren't likely. Let's use our options realistically and not live in some fantasy sports Neverland. By the way, who stops those offensive guys on a nightly basis anyway? We know their names because nobody stops them regularly.

I'm not much of a BK fan, but low cap money and a budding talent base suggest he might be onto something. He just may not have enough time.

I can't believe that cats r still callin the Chills pick a mistake, stop listening to the media, they don't watch the Hawks....they have no clue that Chills is a better basketball player right now that Deng or Iggy or Nelson.

I know one thing....it does not matter who we pick really, because if we don't get some good vet big men...we will be right back in the lottery next year....or the Suns will.

• Moderators

No one in the draft is going to stop Dirk, KG, Shaq. Luckily they don't have to on a regular basis

Funny, the suns play a 6'8" guard at center and everyone thinks they are geniuses

How tall is Ben Wallace again?

It'll be nice to have a real power forward on the roster.

Can noone see this? Center is more important than point guard. So let's analyze this- what centers are worth the upper tier of the draft-1)Aldridge, i'd love to have him but most likely he won't be there.2) OBryant, has lots of potential but his bust factor is high. 3) Shelden, no bust factor at all but is shorter than ideal.

That's it. One of those three guys.

Also, BK got bashed for not taking Chris Paul H I G H E R than he was slated to go in the draft. Now BK is thinking of Shelden because he figures he will perform and is a-available unlike Aldridge, and b-bust factor is really low compared to Obryant, at a lever HIGHER than what he is slated and he's getting bashed.

Personally I think we'll trade down to get him but if not, I won't be upset because I KNOW that Shelden will be at least productive for us and will fill a big hole for us.

and for those still convinced a point guard is more important, the best one in the draft, Marcus Williams is considered to be right around the same area of the draft as Shelden Williams.

I agree. I think Shelden is vastly over-rated. I was beginning to believe the Duke PR machine until I saw the write-up on how he did against big players - he certainly did not shut down anyone. So he does a good job on the lesser centers, the ones who won't make it in the NBA. I'll be very disappointed if we pick him or trade down to get him and another benchwarmer. I'm hoping for Roy.

A rookie PG will NOT help this team THIS year, at least the current PG crop coming out of this draft. The Hawks are going to get a vet PG to come in and help with the ball handling. He needs to be able to hit the long range jumper and man up on defense.

One of the issues with pgs coming down the lane on the Hawks is that we have no interior help. Sheldon will help with that tremendously. With the handcheck rules, most drive and dish PGs are having a field day all around the league. This means interior help defense is a must. A front court of Sheldon, Marvin and Smoove will be able to give tremendous help defense on the drive and dish stuff. The league is moving back to a slahser's games. Athletic, long players are what you need now a days.

IMO Sheldon is the best of the "bigs" in terms of defense. Aldridge is prolly better on offense and certainly Barg is a scorer. But the Hawks need defense and Sheldon helps in that regard.