• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

My Take - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Lascar78

Quote:

Quote:

...On a sidenote am I the only one who thinks Phoenix wasted the pick they got from us?

Sure seems like it to me Blunt. I think they were hoping for a project like Sene (did he go high or what?)...but once they didn't see anything out there they just decided to stand pat.

I thought they got a 2007 first rounder from the Celtics for Rondo?

They sent Rondo to Boston and in exchange the Celtics will pay off the remaining salary of Brian Grant for the Suns. Then they also traded Sergio Rodriguez for Cash. The Hawks could have used either of those guys.

This is what ESPN is reporting:

Suns deal Rondo, Grant to C's for future pick

The Celtics acquired Kentucky guard Rajon Rondo, the No. 21 pick overall, and veteran forward Brian Grant from the Phoenix Suns. In return, the Suns will acquire a future first round pick the Celtics acquired from the Cavaliers in exchange for swingman Jiri Welsch.

Guest Walter

1) Solomon was a good 2nd rd pick. That's where you should get big 1-dimensional prospects with upside.

2) Agree that not trading up was a poor move. We could have had Sergio Rodriguez late also and if we want to run like Pheonix we can't do it with Ty Lue or ANY of the FA Pgs.

3) Ugly is SW. I can't stand it when people acknowledge they wouldn't have picked so and so (and just about everyone does) and then refuse to criticize the draft selection (enough to suggest the selection was "good" even). SW is a 1-dimensional undersize, underlength player. You get those players later (see #1 the "good") not with a top 5 pick when much better players are available.

W

Don't hate on Solomon Jones. He was the 2nd best shot blocker and rebounder in the toughest conference in basketball. He's got a 7'5 wing span with a 40 inch vert. He's a longer Tyrus Thomas on paper. He's a freaking steal.

If you think he can't beat out Batista you are a fool.

PG-???/Lue/Ivey

SG- Joe Johnson/Salim

SF-Josh Smith/Josh Childress

PF-Marvin/Solomon

C-Shelden/Zaza

Guest Walter

Quote:

Don't hate on Solomon Jones. He was the 2nd best shot blocker and rebounder in the toughest conference in basketball. He's got a 7'5 wing span with a 40 inch vert. He's a longer Tyrus Thomas on paper. He's a freaking steal.

I said was good use of 2nd rd picks. That's good.

Again, "bad" was not moving up to get a mid-late 1st Pg.

Ugly? Drafting an undersized 1-dimensional big is not good use of a top 5 pick.

W

W

Quote:

JB, IMO Cassell would be PERFECT for this team...great defender, alot of fire and tenacity, a very good distributor, and a veteran that knows how to win...what the heck else would you want in a PG for this team???

Cassell a good defender?? He's possibly the worst defensive player in the has.

My thinking on this is that the Hawks aren't close to moving players around.

The Rondo selection by Boston may be lining up ducks for a trade with Atlanta or other teams.

I really think BK alresdy has a deal for Al we just have to wait for FA signing period.

Not getting a point in this draft doesn't bother me so much in that we did get the best defensive big in the draft. Sheldon can play in the paint and will really help the team.

As for points, there are several names that haven't been mentioned in this thread:

Marcus Banks- a good player that we should consider, he's RFA

J. Crawford- not exactly a pure point, but he's the one guy from NYK that would make sense adding to the Hawks roster

Delante West- not that I really want him, but Boston has to move him or Allen to accomodate what they got on draft day.

Jack- What is Portland going to do with their backcourt? This seems like a good fit if we can send them something that makes sense.

Just my take on all the recent news. Its just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Quote:

What is Portland going to do with their backcourt?

Here is a quote from the Portland paper:

Quote:

Are you ready for this? Nate McMillan has already named his starting point guard for the Blazers' first game: Brandon Roy.

"Roy will be the starting point guard," McMillan said.

Roy, you will remember, was picked by Minnesota, then traded to Portland for Randy Foye and cash in essentially a swap of the Nos. 6 and 7 picks.

Oh wait, there's more to McMillan's quote: " ... of the summer league, and he will get the opportunity to get some playing time there."

It's old home week in Portland. The McMillans, Brenden Roy, and Martell Webster all knew each other in Seattle. So McMillan knows exactly what he is getting. (and his son is a hot prospect as well.)

Guest Walter

[quote}

Here is a quote from the Portland paper:

Quote:

Are you ready for this? Nate McMillan has already named his starting point guard for the Blazers' first game: Brandon Roy.

"Roy will be the starting point guard," McMillan said.

This year is going to hurt alot.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

I saw that quote earlier. Did you forget to add the part where he says in Summer League.

Yes, but he's already ahead of Blake, Jack at Pg. They know what they've got in Roy. A potential star, immediate starter, big, do everything ball distributor.

W

• Premium Member

So what you're saying is that the Hawks should go after Jarrett Jack, since they already have their "star, immediate starter, big, do everything ball distributor?"

Good idea. Best thing you've suggested in days.

tongue.gif