• Raised $440 of $700 target

Article from the AJC

Blunt91

Woodson: Hawks targeting 4 point guards

By JEFF D'ALESSIO

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/29/06

"Hang in there with us. Please."

That was the request from Hawks coach Mike Woodson to fans gathered at Philips Arena to watch the team's pick of Duke forward Shelden Williams Wednesday night. Many of those in attendance loudly booed the decision.

Woodson said the team would address what is seen as the team's most glaring need — a quality point guard — via trade or free agency.

"There's no question we need a point guard," said Woodson, who then named four veteran free agents Atlanta would target: Sam Cassell (Clippers); Mike James (Raptors); Speedy Claxton (Hornets); and Bobby Jackson (Grizzlies).

"Those are the guys who can help put our ballclub over the top."

As for the selection of Williams, Woodson said the Hawks first needed to address their interior defense.

Surprise no one else has posted it. I still want to give Jay Williams a shot, even if he is hurt.

we don't really need him to shoot. We need a guy who can split time with Lue, and can try to play D, get on the fast break with the young guns, and not turn the ball over. We're trying to upgrade Royal Ivey here, we're not holding out for Magic Johnson

Quote:

we don't really need him to shoot. We need a guy who can split time with Lue, and can try to play D, get on the fast break with the young guns, and not turn the ball over. We're trying to upgrade Royal Ivey here, we're not holding out for Magic Johnson

I'd rather have a starter than two backups that are on an even level.

so would I. But I would much, much, MUCH rather have 2 really good backups running the show than 1 nobody and 1 backup. Claxton/Lue would do so much better than Ivey/Lue it's not even funny.

By playing shelden, smith, no more Al, our D should improve and we should get more blocks and boards. That's almost useless if we don't have a fast PG who can run the break. If not a large part of Smith, Marvin, and Chill's athleticism goes untapped. Again, we don't need the most talented guy in the world for it to make a real difference. Lue doesn't run often, Ivey isn't good and doesn't run, and JJ walks it up. We need a pusher in here.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's not always how good a player is. It's how much his skill will help your team. And sometimes an ok player can help a ton if he's in the right place.

Quote:

Quote:

agreed, claxton or cassell would help us tremendously. I can't see cassell coming here though. Not sure about claxton

You really need to set higher goals that 18MPG backups like Speedy Claxton. That dude can't shoot a lick.

Listen, this is BK we are talking about, we would be lucky to get a point guard as talented as Speedy Claxton. My guess is BK has his eyes on someone like Howard Eisley.