• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Agree with Speedy !!!!!

craigo667

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, Mike Woodson was an assistant with Philly during Speedy's rookie year, so Mike is somewhat familiar with his game.

Speedy was a solid starter during his two years in Golden State. Typically for Golden State, they didn't realize what they had in Speedy. In two years with Golden State, Speedy averaged 11.7 PPG, 5.2 APG, and 1.7 SPG. Before being traded to New Orleans, Speedy was averaging 13.1 PPG, 6.2 APG, and 1.9 SPG. This past year while playing behind Chris Paul, Speedy averaged 12.3 PPG, 4.8 APG, and 1.5 SPG. His per 40 numbers for this past year were 17.2 P/40 and 6.6 A/40 with a 16.20 PER.

He only started 3 games this past season when filling in for Chris Paul, but he averaged 20.7 PPG, 9.3 APG, 1.3 SPG, and shot 51% from the field.

3 games don't count for anything. He's played on 5 teams in 6 years. That alone tells you he's not a keeper.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

3 games don't count for anything. He's played on 5 teams in 6 years. That alone tells you he's not a keeper.

By that logic I guess Chauncy Billups isn't a keeper either. (Although Speedy obviously won't be as good as Billups, but you get what I'm saying.) Some players just take a while to find their way in the league. Speedy is just now entering his prime, so we'll see what he can do.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

He only started 3 games this past season when filling in for Chris Paul, but he averaged 20.7 PPG, 9.3 APG, 1.3 SPG, and shot 51% from the field.

Damn, that's a helluva stat line for those 3 games. I remember when he came here when Chris Paul was hurt and he almost singlehandedly beat us by himself. I'm glad he is a member of the Hawks now.

I think what you need to take from those numbers is that this might be a guy who can really run this team as a playmaker. He isn't going to score 21 a game for the Hawks or probably anywhere near there. He is, however, going to be able to be a playmaker and he is going to be able to defend. I don't think we had either of those things from the PG position last year. He is never going to shoot 50+ from the field over the course of a season but he is fast enough to penetrate and to fast break. He is a veteran. Those are all very good things and he is coming at a price that makes him a real asset to the organization.

I am pumped to see what Speedy can do with the horses we have on this roster.

Quote:

The Hawks still have around $12 million they can spend, depending upon how much the first year of this deal is worth.

Well this looks like the offseason that BK has targeted for filling out the team, and he likely isn't done yet. It'll probably take em awhile to develop some chemistry together, but we are looking much more competitive now.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

The Hawks still have around $12 million they can spend, depending upon how much the first year of this deal is worth.

No, it looks like we are out of cap space as of right now. Until we resolve the Harrington situation, we are capped out.

Do you mean literally out of cap space based on the cap hold for Harrington? That seems high.

Quote:

Quote:

By that logic I guess Chauncy Billups isn't a keeper either. (Although Speedy obviously won't be as good as Billups, but you get what I'm saying.) Some players just take a while to find their way in the league. Speedy is just now entering his prime, so we'll see what he can do.

Billups is an exception rather than the rule.

Quote:

Hotlanta1981, you've made your point about 100 posts the last 30 minutes.

You must really enjoy raining on folks parades.

Yes, I am a newbie here, but it's bad attitudes like yours that kept me a lurker for so long.

mj

Well, people set themselves up for the fall.

"He's better than Lue"

As if that means he's worth the contract he got.

Quote:

What's your problem Hotlanta? If you hate the Hawks so much why do you post here.

hey his opinion is his opinion. i don't agree with it just as I don't agree with Kaybee Toyman or Diesel 90% of the time but that's what keeps the debate going.

Quote:

Quote:

Billups is an exception rather than the rule.

That's true, but it's not unheard for players to take a while to learn to play in the league. Speedy's right at that age where he will be at his best for the years we have him.

I'll bet that Speedy is a "you get what you see" player. He's undersized, and doesn't do anything all that well besides run.

Quote:

...Speedy's right at that age where he will be at his best for the years we have him.

Right V...we don't have to train him and hope he can play in the nba...and we dobn't have to worry about declining physical skills for awhile. Whatever his career is gonna be, we'll get the best of it (barring injuries, knock on wood).

Now were are two-deep everywhere (if you count Esteban).

Quote:

Quote:

...Speedy's right at that age where he will be at his best for the years we have him.

Right V...we don't have to train him and hope he can play in the nba...and we dobn't have to worry about declining physical skills for awhile. Whatever his career is gonna be, we'll get the best of it (barring injuries, knock on wood).

Now were are two-deep everywhere (if you count Esteban).

Count Solomon over Estaban

I think his steals will be an asset too and give JJ and Smoove some highlight dunks.

I think he's the best available pg for our team, and the key word is team. I think he'll help the chemestry come together. That was one knock against James and Banks was a little young.

Glad he got it done early. Now for the Al trade.