• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Good Info on Speedy Claxton

KB21

Speedy Claxton

This was during the 2003-2004 season with the Golden State Warriors.

Quote:

In 29 starts in 2003-04 (Warriors 15-14), Speedy Claxton averaged 13.6 points, 5.3 assists and 1.97 steals. Before being forced to sit out 20 games with a fractured second metacarpal in his right hand, Claxton had started 19 consecutive games (10-9 record), averaging 15.6 points, 3.2 rebounds, 5.9 assists and 2.32 steals in 34.3 minutes during those 19 contests.

Quote:

Much of Speedy Claxton’s late-season success was due to his his ability to get to the free throw line and make free throws. On 2/25 at Memphis, despite suffereing a fractured second metacarpal in the opening minutes of the game, Claxton tallied a career-high 28 points while also posting new career-highs in free throws made (16) and attempted (18). His 16 free throws made were the most by a Warrior since Latrell Sprewell went 22-for-25 at L.A. Clippers on 3/10/97. On 2/6 vs. Denver, Claxton posted a then-career-high 25 points, which included 17 points in the 4th quarter and 13-of-13 free throws in that quarter -- one shy of Rick Barry’s NBA record of 14 free throws in a quarter in 1966. Speedy finished the season ranked 39th in the NBA in free throw percentage (.812), and made 73-of-83 free throws (.880 FT%) over his last 14 games.

Quote:

On 2/11 vs. Phoenix, Speedy Claxton established a new career-high with seven steals -- one night after tying his previous high with six thefts at Seattle (2/10). He became the first Warrior to have six-or-more steals in back-to-back games since Chris Mullin had seven at Houston (1/22/91) and six vs. Milwaukee (1/25/91) 13 years ago. In his return from the injured list vs. Houston (4/6), he recorded five steals in 27 minutes. Speedy would have ranked 15th in the NBA in steals (1.62 spg) if he had enough games played to qualify.

Quote:

Appeared in 60 games (29 starts), averaging 10.6 points, 2.6 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.62 steals in 26.6 minutes...Among NBA leaders, ranked 22nd in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.60), 39th in free throw percentage (.813) and would have ranked 15th in steals (1.62) if he had qualified...Led the team in steals...Established new career single-season highs in several categories, including scoring, assists and minutes...Two double-doubles (points/assist)...20-or-more points four times...

There is also a short highlight video on the right side of the page.

Quote:

Quote:

Before being forced to sit out 20 games with a fractured second metacarpal in his right hand

Quote:

On 2/25 at Memphis, despite suffereing a fractured second metacarpal in the opening minutes of the game

Sounds like a durable player to me...

Billy Knight could assemble Dram Team 1 and you'd crap all over it.

I don't think people realize how good Speedy Claxton is. Golden State didn't improve much at PG with Baron Davis. I wonder if they realize it...

Claxton has his faults, but he's an average starting PG, all considered. I think we could do far worse. In fact, we could pay a lot more to do a lot worse.

NBA Comparison: Kenny Smith

Strengths: He isn't knicknamed "Speedy" for nothing. Great scorer and leader. Very good athleticism. Has good range and looks to take over in crunchtime.

Weaknesses: Undersized. Taller points will be able to pass over him. Will get muscled and banged around some due to his lack of strength.

Stats:

G FG% FT% 3P% BPG SPG RPG APG PPG

96-97 Hofstra 27 .432 .706 .158 0.1 1.9 4.6 3.4 15.0

97-98 Hofstra 31 .485 .730 .182 0.3 2.2 4.6 7.2 16.3

98-99 Hofstra 30 .482 .801 .316 0.5 2.3 4.4 5.3 13.3

99-00 Hofstra 31 .470 .764 .381 0.2 3.3 5.4 6.0 22.8

Totals 119 .468 .748 .322 0.3 2.4 4.8 5.5 16.9

Quote:

NBA Comparison: Kenny Smith

Strengths: He isn't knicknamed "Speedy" for nothing. Great scorer and leader. Very good athleticism. Has good range and looks to take over in crunchtime.

Weaknesses: Undersized. Taller points will be able to pass over him. Will get muscled and banged around some due to his lack of strength.

Stats:

G FG% FT% 3P% BPG SPG RPG APG PPG

96-97 Hofstra 27 .432 .706 .158 0.1 1.9 4.6 3.4 15.0

97-98 Hofstra 31 .485 .730 .182 0.3 2.2 4.6 7.2 16.3

98-99 Hofstra 30 .482 .801 .316 0.5 2.3 4.4 5.3 13.3

99-00 Hofstra 31 .470 .764 .381 0.2 3.3 5.4 6.0 22.8

Totals 119 .468 .748 .322 0.3 2.4 4.8 5.5 16.9

The range part didn't play out to well did it?

dude he never shoots 3s. Meaning that the 3s he take are probably late in the shot clock when nothing else is available and he has no choice but to hoist up a bad shot. So the percentages mean nothing. He's shooting well under one 3 per game. The fact is that he's not a 3 point shooter but a) he won't be putting 3s up and b) we have plenty of other 3 pt shooters

Quote:

dude he never shoots 3s. Meaning that the 3s he take are probably late in the shot clock when nothing else is available and he has no choice but to hoist up a bad shot. So the percentages mean nothing. He's shooting well under one 3 per game. The fact is that he's not a 3 point shooter but a) he won't be putting 3s up and b) we have plenty of other 3 pt shooters

He shoots 41% overall. If he's shooting well under one 3 game and he's still shooting only 41% that says even less about his range.

When a guy is shooting like 41%FG and 37% in 3's and shoots a reasonable number you know his overall percentage is alittle low because of the 3's. But if a guy is shooting 41% and not even attempting 3's you know he's simply a bad shooter all together.

Cmon, don't give me the whole "He took them with the shot clock running down" stuff. You can try and make that excuse for any low percentage shooter.

Quote:

I'm not making excuses. I know that he has no range. I'm saying that the actual percentages of his 3 pt shooting in the NBA are meaningless. The guy is a vet and has shot less 3s in his career than Salim has in his rookie year.

Well, if he can't shoot 2's at all it's likely he can't shoot 3's either. But anyway, I just remember how it was with Brevin Knight and teams leaving him open for jumpers.

I know the Hawks were not going to get a perfect player, but I think when teams get the Hawks in a halfcourt game they'll really struggle.

Quote:

Weren't you one of the pro-Foye/Roy and anti-Shelden Williams posters?

From what I've read, those two guys have more potential and I thought Williams seemed to be a cross of Henderson and Antonio Davis. I've always said I watch very little of college. I do some reading about the draft picks.

I didn't think Williams is the worthy of the 5th pick from what I've read and heard. It's a different story with the other two guys.

Besides, it doesn't matter who shot what in college.... These are young players and they can improve. Speedy Claxton has been in the league 5 or 6 years and is what, 27? And has n't improved his shot.

Good signing by the Hawk's. Claxton gives the Hawk's a point guard that can get up and down the court and put pressure on defenses.Its important to have another dimension to give defenses a harder time something we haven't seen as Hawk's fans in a number of years. We have JJ and now Claxton.Now when we face up with the Mavericks and Spurs maybe they will show a little respect with our speedy guard on offense at least giving Harris and Parker something to think about when defending Claxton.