• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Depth needs to be the focus.

Plainview1981

Honestly, I don't think there's much more to do in terms of the starting lineup... I think we could do this trade... It was brought up on another site:

Atlanta gets

Jamaal Tinsley

Scot Pollard (S&T)

Indiana gets

Ty Lue

Al Harrington (S&T)

The Hawks get another point guard and another center, while the Pacers get a small forward and a reserve point guard.

This leaves the Hawks with:

Jamaal Tinsley/Speedy Claxton/Salim

Joe Johnson/Childress/Claxton

Josh Smith/Marvin Williams/Childress

Shelden Williams/Marvin Williams/Jones

ZaZa/Williams/Pollard

The only problem is that the Hawks don't have a legit 2nd option at this point. Obviousally, you expect Marvin Williams to become that player. But I don't see it at the start of next year.

I think Tinsley, Claxton, ZaZa, and Josh can all 3 provide 11-14PPG. But can you count on these guys to be consistant?

The team looks sort of like the Bulls to me. The Bulls are a team that counts on a balanced attack. But so far they've only got in the first round. Can you win games building what The Bulls and Hawks are building on?

I can see 35 wins next year... I think they're will be a slow start. How fast the Hawks reach the playoffs probably depends on how well Marvin develops.

I think Smith at some point will play a bulk of minutes at center, or will become the 6th man because I think the Williams boys will be the starters at the 3/4 spots for the future.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Honestly, I don't think there's much more to do in terms of the starting lineup... I think we could do this trade... It was brought up on another site:

Atlanta gets

Jamaal Tinsley

Scot Pollard (S&T)

Indiana gets

Ty Lue

Al Harrington (S&T)

The Hawks get another point guard and another center, while the Pacers get a small forward and a reserve point guard.

ZaZa/Williams/Pollard

The only problem is that the Hawks don't have a legit 2nd option at this point. Obviousally, you expect Marvin Williams to become that player. But I don't see it at the start of next year.

I think Tinsley, Claxton, ZaZa, and Josh can all 3 provide 11-14PPG. But can you count on these guys to be consistant?

The team looks sort of like the Bulls to me. The Bulls are a team that counts on a balanced attack. But so far they've only got in the first round. Can you win games building what The Bulls and Hawks are building on?

I can see 35 wins next year... I think they're will be a slow start. How fast the Hawks reach the playoffs probably depends on how well Marvin develops.

I think Smith at some point will play a bulk of minutes at center, or will become the 6th man because I think the Williams boys will be the starters at the 3/4 spots for the future.

Don't agree with any you said or proposed except that Marvin & Sheldon will man the 3-4. T. Lue and eventually Salim are adquate back-up point guards and Smith will not play center for the Hawks.

Quote:

Quote:

Atlanta gets

Jamaal Tinsley

Scot Pollard (S&T)

Indiana gets

Ty Lue

Al Harrington (S&T)

ZaZa/Williams/Pollard

Don't agree with any you said or proposed except that Marvin & Sheldon will man the 3-4. T. Lue and eventually Salim are adquate back-up point guards and Smith will not play center for the Hawks.

Salim might not make it. He's an EXTREMELY EXTREMELY limited player and with his attitude, I think he'll find himself overseas in a few uyears. His negitives FAR outweigh his positives.

Lue needs to hit the road... He can't run an offense and we've seen that by now.

Josh Smith is only going to start in the future if he's traded, or Marvin doesn't develop. The hawks don't have the offensive firepower to afford Josh Smith's lack of offensive ability. He has poor handles, a weak jumpshot, and no post game.

Marvin Williams will possibly (if develops) will be in the mold of a Jamal Mashburn and he'll probably shoot alot of jumpshots and you will have Williams at the 4 spot who will play closer to the basket.

That's the combo I see at the forward spots. Josh Smith could still be effective playing minutes at several spots.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Josh Smith is only going to start in the future if he's traded, or Marvin doesn't develop. The hawks don't have the offensive firepower to afford Josh Smith's lack of offensive ability. He has poor handles, a weak jumpshot, and no post game.

No need to restate this position because we both agree. But he won't play center for the Hawks

Quote:

Don't give up on Josh's offensive game just yet. He's only 20, right? And he did show quite a bit of improvement over the 2nd half of last season...

It's hard to be a big offensive player with no handles or post game. Maybe a poorer version of Marion.... I think he can be about a 13PPG 7.5RPG 2.5BLK type of player.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Salim might not make it. He's an EXTREMELY EXTREMELY limited player and with his attitude, I think he'll find himself overseas in a few uyears. His negitives FAR outweigh his positives.

Like John Paxon, Steve Kerr, Dennise Rodman, Ben Wallace, Peja Stojakovic, Jeff Foster, Tyson Chandler, Ben Gordon Earvin Johnson, Damion Jones etc,etc,etc. My point is the league is littered with extremely limited players. But if they can do at least one thing well, then they have value. We already know that Salim will be a good if not great scorer/shooter

Quote:

Quote:

Like John Paxon, Steve Kerr, Dennise Rodman, Ben Wallace, Peja Stojakovic, Jeff Foster, Tyson Chandler, Ben Gordon Earvin Johnson, Damion Jones etc,etc,etc. My point is the league is littered with extremely limited players. But if they can do at least one thing well, then they have value. We already know that Salim will be a good if not great scorer/shooter

Peja averages around 6 rebounds per game... Which isn't bad for a SF to be honest. Ben Gordon might just be a scorer, but he has good skills at what he does.

The one thing that will go him thrown out of the league is the attitude problem he is. It even drove out far talented players like JR Rider.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The one thing that will go him thrown out of the league is the attitude problem he is. It even drove out far talented players like JR Rider.

He will need a far bigger rap sheet before you can mention his name in the same sentence with JR Rider.

Smoove actually started to develop a bit of a turn and face post game at the end of the season and was working on a bit of a running hook and some stuff off the glass.

He still needs a ton of work, but I thought a saw the first glimmer of a post game in the last quarter of the season.

Considering that Smoove averaged 15 ppg and 4 apg for the entire second half of the season as a 19 year old, I think he will be able to find a way to be a productive offensive player in the league.

LOL AT THAT TRADE!!!!!!!! We can sign Pollard outright cause he is unrestricted. Why give up Al and Lue for Tinsley when Lue is more the player we need than Tinsley is. With Speedy we are gonna need a guy who can shot at point when teams force us too. Lue is that guy.

Aint no way in hell Tinsley would start over Claxton, Tinsley has not been healthy in a couple of years. And as of right now we dont know what kind of players Marvin and Smoove will be, while Smoove has shown more promise than Marvin at this point. I would rather explore a trade with Golden State maybe Monta Ellis,a couple bigs and a 1st round pick.

Quote:

LOL AT THAT TRADE!!!!!!!! We can sign Pollard outright cause he is unrestricted. Why give up Al and Lue for Tinsley when Lue is more the player we need than Tinsley is. With Speedy we are gonna need a guy who can shot at point when teams force us too. Lue is that guy.

Lue can't run a team. Anything he gives you on offense he is bound to give it right back up on defense. When you're trying to build a team to win... It's best not to have extremely crappy defensive players getting minutes.

Quote:

Aint no way in hell Tinsley would start over Claxton, Tinsley has not been healthy in a couple of years. And as of right now we dont know what kind of players Marvin and Smoove will be, while Smoove has shown more promise than Marvin at this point. I would rather explore a trade with Golden State maybe Monta Ellis,a couple bigs and a 1st round pick.

Speedy Claxton is a journeyman. He shouldn't ge give anything. He hasn't been a stable starter at any point in his NBA career.

Smoove doesn't have the offensive skills to be a starter on a team lacking other legit consistant options.

Quote:

Quote:

He will need a far bigger rap sheet before you can mention his name in the same sentence with JR Rider.

Not to mention Rider hung on for quite a while befire being exiled.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Lue can't run a team. Anything he gives you on offense he is bound to give it right back up on defense. When you're trying to build a team to win... It's best not to have extremely crappy defensive players getting minutes.

You act like that guy is going to be out there 35 minutes per game guarding Wade every night. We are only talking 10-15 minutes if that many. He does bring value in that he is a very efficient scorer from the out side and doesn't turn the ball over. I say that he is a more than adeguate back-up point guard

• Premium Member

Quote:

Smoove doesn't have the offensive skills to be a starter on a team lacking other legit consistant options.

Right now I agree but he shows flashes. Who knows what he will look like this up-coming season. My bet is that he will look better because he is a hard worker.