• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Depth needs to be the focus.

Plainview1981

Quote:

Quote:

Lue can't run a team. Anything he gives you on offense he is bound to give it right back up on defense. When you're trying to build a team to win... It's best not to have extremely crappy defensive players getting minutes.

You act like that guy is going to be out there 35 minutes per game guarding Wade every night. We are only talking 10-15 minutes if that many. He does bring value in that he is a very efficient scorer from the out side and doesn't turn the ball over. I say that he is a more than adeguate back-up point guard

I guess you'll have to learn... He'll have to play more than 10-15MPG because Speedy is not a 30MPG+ player. I don't know how it's so hard to see that. When you're trying to build a team that can WIN those 10MPG mean something anyway.

There's a difference between just putting up stats and winning. Journeymen are journeymen for a reason.... And the Hawks main two PG's are journeymen... That's a problem that will show up.

• Premium Member

Quote:

There's a difference between just putting up stats and winning. Journeymen are journeymen for a reason.... And the Hawks main two PG's are journeymen... That's a problem that will show up.

Didn't Miami just win a championship with a Journeyman point guard? Come to think of it so did the Pistons and the Lakers

Quote:

Quote:

Didn't Miami just win a championship with a Journeyman point guard? Come to think of it so did the Pistons and the Lakers

Miami has star players and Atlanta don't. Teams build with 2 star players and role players (Chicago, Lakers, Heat) or they build with balanced lineups like Detroit did. That's what I said before.

The Hawks don't have 1 legit superstar mustless 2 of them. So they need a really all rounded talented starting lineup.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The Hawks don't have 1 legit superstar mustless 2 of them. So they need a really all rounded talented starting lineup.

I hate to say this Hots but you sound a bit short sighted. Do you realize how long it took Chicago, LA, Detroit, and now Miami to get to the promise land. Believe me, it was a lot longer than 3 years!

Quote:

Quote:

I hate to say this Hots but you sound a bit short sighted. Do you realize how long it took Chicago, LA, Detroit, and now Miami to get to the promise land. Believe me, it was a lot longer than 3 years!

We'll I think the Hawks have young talent that will develop into good, but not superstar players. And they don't have to be... I was mainly just responding to that guy. I think the Hawks can win 35 games next year with Speedy... but to improve on that, I think they'll need a better starting PG.

Actually, it didn't take Miami that long. They might have been in the finals last year had it not been for the injures. It did obviousally take LA and Chicago longer.

Quote:

JJ is not far off the all-star track and we just need to see what happens with Smoove, Chilz, MWill, and Sheldon.

Way to early to say none of them will be a legit all-star. Way to early...

• Premium Member

Quote:

Actually, it didn't take Miami that long. They might have been in the finals last year had it not been for the injures.

It depends on when you think they started. Maybe you are assuming that they didn't start trying to win a championship until they got Shaq. My guess would be to assume it not to be true.

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, it didn't take Miami that long. They might have been in the finals last year had it not been for the injures.

It depends on when you think they started. Maybe you are assuming that they didn't start trying to win a championship until they got Shaq. My guess would be to assume it not to be true.

They were building with a reasonably young core with Wade, Bulter, Odom and Alston who were all young at the time.

The next year the main players are Wade, Shaq, Eddie Jones, Damon Jones, Zo, Haslem and Leattner.

Quite a change in one offseason it was.

They went from a young team to a vet team in the span of one offseason. With one of the players being an aging Shaq.

So you tell me...

Quote:

Quote:

JJ is not far off the all-star track and we just need to see what happens with Smoove, Chilz, MWill, and Sheldon.

Way to early to say none of them will be a legit all-star. Way to early...

I mean the Hawks have no Wade, LeBron James, Duncan, Kobe etc....

You don't have to have them... But when you don't, you need a more complete starting lineup.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Don't give up on Josh's offensive game just yet. He's only 20, right? And he did show quite a bit of improvement over the 2nd half of last season...

I agree.

mj

I am a believer in Josh as well.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't give up on Josh's offensive game just yet. He's only 20, right? And he did show quite a bit of improvement over the 2nd half of last season...

I agree.

mj

Me too. I like Smoove, Marvin, AND Chill. (Still trying to recover from the Shelden shock, but I'll get there.)

I'm an optimist. I don't see any problem with the players we'll have. Shouldn't matter who's on the floor when the game starts, just who has the most points at the end. There are a lot of minutes in a game and if they play hard and run more, we'll need all of these guys. We have a lot of talent, let's see if they can do it. Now it's up to Woody.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

mj

Me too. I like Smoove, Marvin, AND Chill. (Still trying to recover from the Shelden shock, but I'll get there.)

I'm an optimist. I don't see any problem with the players we'll have. Shouldn't matter who's on the floor when the game starts, just who has the most points at the end. There are a lot of minutes in a game and if they play hard and run more, we'll need all of these guys. We have a lot of talent, let's see if they can do it. Now it's up to Woody.

I think Smoove has shown alot more long term potential then Marvin.

How you completely poo poo all over the Speedy signing and then turn around and want to trade our second leading scorer for Pollard and Tinsley completely slays me. Go figure.

I agree that depth is an issue, but those guys? I gotta poo poo that one.

Quote:

Quote:

It's hard to be a big offensive player with no handles or post game. Maybe a poorer version of Marion.... I think he can be about a 13PPG 7.5RPG 2.5BLK type of player.

So you think he can only increase his PPG by 3 for the rest of his career? You are one of the most pessimistic posters on this board. Josh Smith has arguably the highest upside on this whole team. As he develops a perimeter jumpshot he will become more and more unstoppable.

Losing that dunk contest was the best thing that ever happened to Josh Smith because since then he has been a lot more than a one dimensional player increasing his scoring output month by month including a whopping 17 PPG for the final month of the season.