Plainview1981

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

you play Shelden next to Zaza in the starting lineup to cover Zaza's defeciencies on the defensive end. it was something Al "matador" was sorely equipped to do.

Billy Knight said Smoove is a 3/4. Smoove said he prefers to play the three. Marvin is still not old enough to buy alcohol. it's
okay
if he comes off the bench as our 6th man.

What's the point in d!cking around with the young players? You're a 27 win team and trying to develop players. ZaZa is a backup and will be nothing more than a backup in the league.

The h*ll with ZaZa he ain't shyt.

i learned on Monday with the Speedy thread not to argue with you.

however i will 2 things that everyone here except for a few already knows.

1. Zaza is a youngster. if you think he's an older player then you must be trying to field an all-AAU team.

2. no player save possibly 2 or 3 in the NBA today is a complete basketball player.

Quote:

I say Marvin and Smoove will start and you really won't be able to tell what positons they are playing.

Well this uni-forward approach is all well and good...but if we are playing (last year's) Pistons - one of em is gonna have to guard Prince and the other Rasheed. That's a big difference. Not saying they both couldn't do both, but at least for defensive purposes you have to have a PF and a SF when the other teams are approaching the game that way.

I'm basing my projections off of what Knight said in his interview, and off of what we saw a lot of last season - Smith at the 4. He said Childress was a 2 who can play some 3. Marvin is a definite 3, could play a little 4. Smith is a 4 who can play at the 3. Shelden is a 4 who can play at the 5.

I've never seen Smith say he is more comfortable at the 3. If there's a link to this info I'd like to see it.

Shelden Williams would not be a defensive player either if he was put in ZaZa position. Za go beat up last year, pushed around and worn down. It remains to be seen how good he is on defense when he has someone to help him out.

You sure are one negative dude. Don't worry, be happy.

Quote:

I think you are right on this. The only thing I don't like is Edwards. I hope we are still working on bringing over Andersen - he couldn't be worse than Edwards and would likely push Zaza for the starting spot.

(And all this is without getting anything for AL.)

Solomon Jones better get a shot over Edwards. Edwards is terrible.

As far as Zaza Pachulia starting next year, like I said I don't problem having him start while Shelden is a rookie but if anyone thinks Zaza should be given a chance to be our center of the future, they are being foolish. No way does Zaza Pachulia have the upside of Shelden Williams especially on the defensive end.

Many people point to Zaza's offensive production. Putting up 11 points per game does not make up for being a defensive liability. He is a great contribution off the bench but by no means should he be in our future plans for a starting 5.

Shelden Williams will be a much better interior defender and rebounder and will at least equal the offensive output if not surpass it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

As far as Zaza Pachulia starting next year, like I said I don't problem having him start while Shelden is a rookie but if anyone thinks Zaza should be given a chance to be our center of the future, they are being foolish. No way does Zaza Pachulia have the upside of Shelden Williams especially on the defensive end.

Many people point to Zaza's offensive production. Putting up 11 points per game does not make up for being a defensive liability. He is a great contribution off the bench but by no means should he be in our future plans for a starting 5.

Shelden Williams will be a much better interior defender and rebounder and will at least equal the offensive output if not surpass it.

I sorry, I must have missed something. What is the point of trying to predict which 22 year old will be the Hawk's center of the future?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

He said it during an interview on draft night.

Interesting. Is there a link? Was it on 790 the Zone?

Somebody link it about a week ago. It was a link that contained all of the significant interviews this year on 790. Unfortunately I'm not computer savy enough to link it from my work computer but I may be able to do it tomorrow when I get home.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I sorry, I must have missed something. What is the point of trying to predict which 22 year old will be the Hawk's center of the future?

So you think Zaza Pachulia is starting material?

I don't know yet! He is 22 and has only started in the NBA once in his career. And to be quit honest with you, he did pretty good.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So you think Zaza Pachulia is starting material?

I don't know yet! He is 22 and has only started in the NBA once in his career. And to be quit honest with you, he did pretty good.

He exceeded our expectations. He was very productive considering the circumstances he had to play under. Yes I agree.

But he can't play D! I hate to bash Zaza Pachulia but he's as much to blame for our interior D as Al Harrington. No defensive liability should be our starting center of the future.

• Premium Member

Quote:

But he can't play D! I hate to bash Zaza Pachulia but he's as much to blame for our interior D as Al Harrington. No defensive liability should be our starting center of the future.

There is a difference between Al & Zaza. Al is 26 and been in the league for 6 years. Al does not want to play Defense. Al would not try to stay in front of his man. Al did not try to block shots. Whereas Zaza would throw his body around, Block a shot occasionally. I think that Zaza could improve his defense if he worked on his foot work and positioning. If you think Zaza's defense is bad, then you have to say the same about Josh Smith. They both need to work on their defense.

• Premium Member

Most NBA teams have a player who is not good defensively. You build your team with other players who can play defense well.

Our problem last year was that we lacked good defense from 3 positions.. but big positions and the PG. I think this year will be a lot different.

Very good points. Every player we're adding helps defensively compared to what we had last season. Not only will they make a direct impact, but indirectly they'll help our returning players be better defensively by taking some of that pressure off.

Defense is a team concept that largely depends on your confidence in your teammates, and individuals being held accountable by their teammates for their defensive assignments.

I really hope Speedy brings a solid "floor leader" mentality, and Shelden makes a difference calling people out from the post.

Quote:

Most NBA teams have a player who is not good defensively. You build your team with other players who can play defense well.

Our problem last year was that we lacked good defense from 3 positions.. but big positions and the PG. I think this year will be a lot different.

I agree most good teams have a player or two who is a defensive liability but not at the center position! Interior defense is very important in this league especially in an era where it's almost impossible to keep a player on the perimeter with defense. A center on a good team has to be able to contest/alter/block shots.

Zaza Pachulia shows effort on defense unlike Harrington but unfortunately it's about the same result. Is Josh Smith a bad defender? You betcha. But he's got a helluva lot more upside defensively than the much more cumbersome Zaza Pachulia.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you play Shelden next to Zaza in the starting lineup to cover Zaza's defeciencies on the defensive end. it was something Al "matador" was sorely equipped to do.

Billy Knight said Smoove is a 3/4. Smoove said he prefers to play the three. Marvin is still not old enough to buy alcohol. it's
okay
if he comes off the bench as our 6th man.

What's the point in d!cking around with the young players? You're a 27 win team and trying to develop players. ZaZa is a backup and will be nothing more than a backup in the league.

The h*ll with ZaZa he ain't shyt.

i learned on Monday with the Speedy thread not to argue with you.

however i will 2 things that everyone here except for a few already knows.

1. Zaza is a youngster. if you think he's an older player then you must be trying to field an all-AAU team.

2. no player save possibly 2 or 3 in the NBA today is a complete basketball player.

ZaZa was not a lottery pick. You DON'T FILL YOUR BENCH WITH LOTTERY PICKS AND START MEDIOCRE UNATHLETIC DUDES.

It's that simple. ZaZa is not that good. When you factor in bad defense his 11/7 fails to impress. Just because ZaZa is young doesn't mean he's going to get better. People always assume young players will make big improves. ZaZa doesn't have that kind of potential.

If you want ZaZa as your starter you don't select Shelden with the 5th pick... ESP if there's players that have more potential. It's stupid. Plain and simple.

Do you not understand how idiotic it is to have a 6th and a 5th pick coming off the bench and starting a guy like ZaZa who has limited potential. I don't give a crap if he's 21 or 30... His potential is limited.