• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is anyone worth the money?

CrawDaddy

All I ever read on this board is that "this guy's not worth the money." So the question is - who is worth the money?

We've had cap room the past three years and the only big name we've signed is Joe, and that pickup came through a sign and trade.

Everyone says Nene wasn't worth the money. Everyone says the Bulls overpaid for Big Ben. Everyone says Chandler's contract is way to much for us to take on.

By that logic, we should just sit on the money we have and be content in being mediocre (at best) next season. I'm sick of reading over and over on this board and everywhere else that someone is overpaid. THEY ARE NOT OVERPAYING - WE JUST AREN'T PONYING UP. A FA signs for what the market will give for him. Therefore, none of these FA's that are signing are being overpaid, they are just going to the highest bidder.

Point of the post? We have to "overpay" to bring in good players. That's the way the market works.

• Premium Member

Quote:

By that logic, we should just sit on the money we have and be content in being mediocre (at best) next season. I'm sick of reading over and over on this board and everywhere else that someone is overpaid. THEY ARE NOT OVERPAYING - WE JUST AREN'T PONYING UP. A FA signs for what the market will give for him. Therefore, none of these FA's that are signing are being overpaid, they are just going to the highest bidder.

Is that you Isiah?

Quote:

Point of the post? We have to "overpay" to bring in good players. That's the way the market works.

That's a very interesting post. Do you know who was second in payroll this year? The Western Conference Champion Dallas Mavericks. They shelled out 97 mil I think.

I agree that one day we need to start paying out big bucks. I just don't think that time is right now.

Hey, if you want to wreck the salary structure of this team by paying a bunch of money to a guy and never being able to get out from under the deal, that's fine.

Good thing Billy is smart and doesn't go for that kind of stuff.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The key phrase is good players that will finish off your product and make them championship contenders. Tyson Chandler, Ben Wallace, Nene don't make us championship contenders. Now adding Duncan, Dirk or Amare Stoudamire would. That's when you shell out the big bucks. Shouldn't spend money just to spend it.

I think the problem is that the NBA is not a true free market. So when Ben Wallace gets paid almost as much as Tim Duncan people cry that he isn't worth the money. The reality is that on a free market Tim Duncan would fetch $30 million or maybe more. If the teams could pay that much they wouldn't think Ben Wallace was overpaid.

Since each team can afford 2, or even 3, maximum contracts. That gives you a top 60-90 players that they all compete for. The maximum contract makes it so the 50th best player gets paid the same as the best. I would say the 50th best player is not overpaid, but more so that the best are underpaid.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think the problem is that the NBA is not a true free market. So when Ben Wallace gets paid almost as much as Tim Duncan people cry that he isn't worth the money. The reality is that on a free market Tim Duncan would fetch $30 million or maybe more. If the teams could pay that much they wouldn't think Ben Wallace was overpaid.

Since each team can afford 2, or even 3, maximum contracts. That gives you a top 60-90 players that they all compete for. The maximum contract makes it so the 50th best player gets paid the same as the best. I would say the 50th best player is not overpaid, but more so that the best are underpaid.

So let everybody else over pay! We'll be in the driver's seat in the future and win just as many games as NO who paid peja $50 mil and Indy with Jamaine's Crippling contract, Philly, NY etc. Hell I think that we will be competitive with Bulls & the Pistons with those Crippling contracts that they have.

I agree with Peoria in that Chandler is not worth his contract. I think a big reason we're not willing to burn up our cap on just anybody is because BK is cognizant of the fact that the Joshes will be up for contract renewal in 2 years and he doesn't have an unlimited budget. If we plan to keep the youngsters, we have to be fiscally responsible. I agree that if there is a all-star caliber player out there that fits a need & warrants that kind of money, we should go after him. However, that rarely happens because the really good players are usually re-signed before their contracts are up to keep them from hitting the free agent market.

Quote:

So let everybody else over pay! We'll be in the driver's seat in the future and win just as many games as NO who paid peja $50 mil and Indy with Jamaine's Crippling contract, Philly, NY etc. Hell I think that we will be competitive with Bulls & the Pistons with those Crippling contracts that they have.

I'm not saying we should give away contracts to any available free agents, but the principle remains true. You have to spend to win.

I think we will see next year, what a team full of reasonably priced players gets you. We are still needing to acquire a superstar either by draft, trade, or free agency.

• Moderators

Quote:

Very good post.