• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The more I look at Fosters numbers

tmac13

• Premium Member

Quote:

Because the pick will be in the late 20's which means that it will stink. We had about 15 years of drafting in the 20's. I was never impressed. And in any event we don't need anymore young players. I don't even want to draft anyone next year.

Draft picks are valuable commodities. You can draft a player, Trade the pick for another pick or player, or trade the pick and another player to get a more valuable player. Believe me, They are a good thing to have!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Quote:

Nobody gives a sh*t about late first rounders. In 1999 we had to draft four people because nobody wanted our 4 1st rounders, with 2 of them in the 20's.

Actually, we traded one of those picks.

I know I would have loved a pick in the early 20s this year to grab Marcus Williams, Rajon Rondo, etc.

The Pacers pick this year was 17.

Quote:

They were 17 but if you trade them Al..they will be arguably the 4th best east team again which will make the pick a high 20's pick.

And in 1999 we didn't trade the pick we traded the player actually.

They won't be the 4th best team if they trade us Foster and Johnson. Assume Z is out, who else do you propose we go after?

I think each of the last several years we would have loved a pick in the 17-23 range. Last year it could have been Jarret Jack.

• Moderators

Quote:

They were 17 but if you trade them Al..they will be arguably the 4th best east team again which will make the pick a high 20's pick.

And in 1999 we didn't trade the pick we traded the player actually.

In a deal made within minutes of the pick. It was a draft day deal because the pick was in demand.

• Moderators

Quote:

Jarrett Jack? He is the Bucks 3rd point guard. I am not impressed.

I think he is referring to the Jack who is going to be the starting PG in Portland not whoever you are thinking of on the Milwaukee Bucks roster.

Quote:

Jarrett Jack? He is the Bucks 3rd point guard. I am not impressed.

The BLAZERS also stated that he was their only untradeable player at draft time. Anyways it's crazy to argue with you because you only want to bring in recognizable names no matter how crappy their contracts or how limited their games are.

A pick in the late teens or early twenties next year is gonna be a solid pick.

The proposed deal wouldn't be groundbreaking for the Hawks, but it would better than letting him walk and it would add more depth/more pieces. i.e. - this wouldn't have to be our last move of the summer.

Foster is a proven rebounder, we don't have anyone that's put up big numbers on the boards in the NBA yet. We just have a bunch of guys who SHOULD be good rebounders.

Well the bottom line is it would be better to get a backup big and a #1 pick (even Indy's) than nothing for AL.

Like Las said - it's an isolated market so we may not be able to get what we expect AL's worth would be.

The only other options are to let AL walk (though where will he walk to?) or sign him and play him.

I think something will be worked out here shortly though.

I think that we are operating with the assumption that we can only work with Indy and GS..because that what the media says. But in a SNT we can work with anyone. So we are not in a position where we have to accept weak pieces for Al. I'd rather let him walk and bid on free agents like Wilcox then bring in Foster. Whomever we trade Al for should be a starting caliber player. We are already 2 deep at pretty much every position.

Quote:

...I'd rather let him walk and bid on free agents like Wilcox then bring in Foster. Whomever we trade Al for should be a starting caliber player. We are already 2 deep at pretty much every position.

Well I agree in theory JB. I guess I should do some homework and figure out which team(s) thoughout the league can afford AL in a straight FA contract. I think Charlotte could but they are pretty well set at 3/4/5.

If there is no snt, this contract year may not work out as well for AL as he'd hoped.

Still, I've got a gut feeling that the Hawks may have an "agreement in principle" with a team - and the details are currently being worked out.

We can't trade with anyone. We can only trade with those that want Harrington or want to be a part of a trade that nets them something in a trade for Harrington (eg a 3 way), PLUS Harrington has to want to go to the team we trade with. That limits the market, possibly severly.

There are a few teams that actually need Harrington:

Chicago- maybe, seems like a good fit, but...

NYK- this seems like a good fit, but what do we get back?

Pacers- good fit for them, pieces are only so-so coming back

Warriors- good for them, pieces coming back not a great match, but could work out

Bucks- not real sure they want Al, but Maglore seems like a nice piece, but what about his 'tude?

What may be holding up moving Al is what is going on with Chicago. Are they going to get KG? Deal with NO/OK? These two trades probably are holding up whatever goes on with Al. Al may get included in some of this movement making the deals difficult to put together.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Al end up in NY.

Quote:

But what I do know is that we are limited to anything.

Not following you here.

We are limited by several factors: teams that want Al, teams that are willing to do a trade, teams that have something we actually want for Al, and if Al wants to go to that team. That is pretty darn limiting. Its not an open season on Al, its a limited market.