• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Derek Fisher sent to Utah?

jezmund

• Premium Member

Quote:

Mr. H, why do you say we have to make a 3 team deal with GS?

Because Knight is wary of long-term deals like the one that Murphy has. It would shock me to see the Hawks trade for Troy.

So, Murphy will have to go to a third team, with Harrington going to GS, and an expiring+1st going to Atlanta.

I think that there is a very good chance that we will take on a large contract from the Warriors, if Knight believes it is for a player who he likes and that can produce immediately which Murphy sure can. I am still not convinced that we wont trade for Baron Davis, but Murphy is probably more likely. I honestly believe that we are far more likely to try and trade for a proven player that can make an impact this year than we are to look for a future first round pick. I think that Knight has shown that he is looking to get us out of the cellar this year and Murphy would definitely help with that. Interior defense and rebounding were our biggest problems last year and there is no denying that Shelden and Murphy very capable of helping with that.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think that there is a very good chance that we will take on a large contract from the Warriors

I seriously doubt the owners agree to take on a five-year, $50M deal for a good, but not great player. He's not a box office draw, not a good defensive player, and not athletic.

I like Murphy, but I just don't see it.

What kind of defensive presence would Murphy bring? Can he guard multiple positions well or just a single position? Is he a tough player these days?

BTW - honest questions here, not meant to be some kind of challenge. Outside of sportscenter clips here and there I don't think I've seen Murphy play since he was in college.

I think that there is a mandate to win now and there are very few players in the league that we can get for Al straight up that can help us win this year more than Murphy. He may not be a crowd pleaser in the Smoove type of sense, but the fans will love that he rebounds his ass off and is a big time hustle player.

He isnt much of a defensive presence. He can guard the 4 and 5 though because of his size and athleticism, but I believe that when the time comes to play lock down D we would be better suited to have Shelden guard the man we want to stop. Murphy is a far better defender than Al though.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I am still not convinced that we wont trade for Baron Davis

That would not be good!

Let me take that back. Davis is scheduled to make about $14 mil per season but his contract is up 2007/08 season. The problem is that Davis has become primarily a jump shooter but shoots a low percentage. He has high assist number but also turns the ball over a lot. Plus you know about his injury history. Is he a good defender? I don't know. So I don't know whether he would be good or bad for us.

• Premium Member

Murphy would have to play the 5 in Atlanta. It would make for an interesting starting lineup, that much is sure.

I think the Hawks are more likely to trade with Indiana (Al, Edwards -for- Croshere, Harrison, 1st). Why?

Because the Hawks are already at $34M the year they have to re-sign the Joshes, and that's without Lue, Salim, and Ivey. (Meaning that money would have to be used on another PG as well).

With my proposed Indy trade, the Hawks would have $43M in salaries next year for 10 players (not including Batista). That means they would have a first rounder in an assumed "deep draft" and some extra money to fill holes.

If they trade for Murphy, they'd have to hope he was the "IT" piece because it would likely cost them one of the Joshes.

I don't know if you followed the Hawks back when Laettner was with the team, but I'm sure you being a North Carolina fan is familiar with Laettner's game.

Troy Murphy is a high post, perimeter oriented four man. Over the past two years, he's posted double double averages.

He has a lot of similarities to Christian Laettner. Laettner was also a high post, perimeter oriented power forward. I think Laettner was probably a better defender, but he did have the benefit of playing next to Dikembe Mutombo in Atlanta. One thing Christian was very good at was his passing. I haven't seen enough of Troy's game to know if he has the court vision that Christian had. When we had Mookie, Steve, Ty, Christian, and Deke as our starting five, I personaly feel that Christian Laettner had the best passing instincts on the team.

Dont be so sure about the financials. There is no reason in the world why we cannot go over the cap to sign the Joshes, as long as we stay under the luxury tax. Of course at that point we can move one of them for a top draft pick and a veteran player or something along those lines, IF we had to. I just dont see BK trading away his only chip for a 20 something draft choice in next years draft. We need a player that can help this year. Murphy would certainly help. There are other options like Chandler, but other than his size he really isnt as productive all around as Murphy is and isnt enough of a defensive force to say he is a significant upgrade, if any.

Davis is a huge risk. If we get the healthy Davis we could challenge almost anyone in the east except for probably Miami. He is a huge risk huge reward type of player though. He would kill us for the next 2 years with the cap if he isnt the player that we need him to be. He certainly is far from my first choice for trading Al for, but I would say he is definitely an option.

• Premium Member

Quote:

We need a player that can help this year. Murphy would certainly help.

Murphy can help some teams, just not the Hawks IMO.

He's not really a post-up threat, and was not exactly an efficient shooter last year. He's a great rebounder, but a poor shotblocker.

He's an above average PF with a long-term, starter's contract. Per minute, I don't think he's that much an upgrade over Croshere to merit the additional four years, $40M+ in salary commitments.

I guess it would depend on what Knight thinks of Murphy as a center, because that's where he would play.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

He's not really a post-up threat, and was not exactly an efficient shooter last year. He's a great rebounder, but a poor shotblocker.

He's an above average PF with a long-term, starter's contract. Per minute, I don't think he's that much an upgrade over Croshere to merit the additional four years, $40M+ in salary commitments.

I guess it would depend on what Knight thinks of Murphy as a center, because that's where he would play.

Agreed! Murphy is not the pick.

Quote:

Quote:

Agree completely. He is of no use to the Hawks. If the Hawks wanted a jump shooting power forward they should just sign Al. Murphy is a better rebounder but with Sheldon in town I do not see the big need for a rebounder.

I would be pissed if the Hawks traded Al for Murphy even if it included some other young "maybe" player.