• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If we let Al walk...

CBAreject

If we let Al walk and don't sign any new players, what will our cap situation be next year (assuming the same cap)? Will we have enough space to make a near max offer?

Isn't next year's FA class supposed to be quite strong? It seems like we might do well to let the cap space ride if we could make a big play...

Quote:

If we let Al walk and don't sign any new players, what will our cap situation be next year (assuming the same cap)? Will we have enough space to make a near max offer?

Isn't next year's FA class supposed to be quite strong? It seems like we might do well to let the cap space ride if we could make a big play...

if we are on the cusp we can move around some players like Lue.

i was thinking of this in a Lebron type scenario today. Cleveland wouldn't have to trade him if he wanted to leave. for him to go though he'd have to find someone with enough cap space to take him. it would be like the Kobe situation a few years ago. the Lakers refused to trade him.

i'm not saying we can sign Lebron, what i'm saying is we will be damn close to having the caproom for another max deal before we have to re-up our own.

I was thinking about it, and I think we can make a huge offer next year if we don't take back salary for Al. I don't have the exact salaries, so I'm not sure on this. I read the cap was 52.5 for this coming year.

Salim and Lue will expire, so we'll have

Joe Johnson (14?)

Josh Smith (2.2)

Josh Childress (3.6)

Marvin Williams (4.5)

Zaza Pachulia (4)

Shelden Williams (2.5?)

Speedy Claxton (6.2?)

Basically that's 37 million or so. That leaves a huge chunk under the cap, even if it doesn't increase, and even if I've underestimated the salary of JJ, Speedy, or Shelden.

If this is the case, I would be very reluctant to take back a big contract for Al, unless it is a 1-year contract, or the contract of a major impact player.

Now, we'll just have to see who's available next year to decide if it's prudent to let the cap space ride for 1 year. The great players are all restricted from 'Bron's draft class. Wade and Anthony have already signed extensions, and it's somewhat ridiculous to think we could acquire Lebron. Has Bosh re-upped yet? I know Dirk and Rashard Lewis are FA's, but we probably can't get Dirk, and I don't think Lewis is what we need. Mike Bibby and Vince Carter are available.

Just a thought.

Take this for what its worth. On draft night SAS said the Bobcats owner is rumor to be the Donald Steerling of the East. In their defense there is really no one out there that can help them. They made qualify offers to Melvin and Robinson. They already got their PF,SF,SG,PG of the future. They could use a Center unless they decide Emeka is a C and play May at PF. Either way you look at it. They are in good shape with their young players. Will need to save cap in order to re-sign their key players. That is why the Hawks don't need to waste too much salary because it could hurt them in re-signing their players assuming the current owners remain. Money may not be an issue for them. It is better to play it safe for right now.

Next year's FA class was supposed to be the greatest FA class of all-time in any sport but there have been several players who have signed deals that have started ruining this like Bosh, Wade, and Carmelo. Players like Dirk, Kirk Hinrich, etc are all in next year's class. It's really still loaded for now.

I wouldn't mind throwing money at a young PG like Luke Ridnour.

i'd look at captain kirk hinrich.......Stargate log 6 dash 42 hut: I've signed................a long.......term contract......with........the Atlanta........Hawks.

but i definitely want to get SOMETHING for Al. i'd be upset if we couldn't. i think something that is still out there and possibly doable buthaven't heard anything to the like, is Al Harrington for Magloire and Milwaukee 1st...that gives us expiring contract(for best free agent class ever) and draft pick(in one of best drafts in recent times)..

Quote:

Take this for what its worth. On draft night SAS said the Bobcats owner is rumor to be the Donald Steerling of the East.

I may be wrong, but I thought that the Bobcats didn't have the same cap space as every other team. I thought that from the first year they were brought in that they had a much lower cap rate that would steadily rise to everyone else's cap space.

Not sure if thats accurate or when they would have the same cap as everyone else but that would explain why they haven't spent as much.

Quote:

i'd look at captain kirk hinrich.......Stargate log 6 dash 42 hut: I've signed................a long.......term contract......with........the Atlanta........Hawks.

but i definitely want to get SOMETHING for Al. i'd be upset if we couldn't. i think something that is still out there and possibly doable buthaven't heard anything to the like, is Al Harrington for Magloire and Milwaukee 1st...that gives us expiring contract(for best free agent class ever) and draft pick(in one of best drafts in recent times)..

I don't see the Bucks wanting Al now that they have Charlie V to play power forward.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Last I checked, the Hawks should have around $40M vs. the cap next year. That assumes no 1st round pick and doesn't take into consideration what will happen with Al.

Still, they should be able to sign someone for more than the MLE next year if they want.