• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

We are keeping Al

Rexhawk

From the interview this morning with Bernie, all signs point to us keeping AL for one more year.

1. If Al walks then he will only get the middle level exception which is less than his salary this year.

2. It appears that the hawks have not been satisfied with any SNT offers for AL. Bernie stated that Billy was looking for a 22yr old player or another player "Similar to Al". My interpretation of this statement is that they are not going to trade him unless they get another young player in returns that averages between 15-20pts a game which leads me to my next point.

3. Bernie stated that there is some worry whether or not they can replace AL's scoring. The team is starting to feel that their best shot at the playoffs rest with Al still on this team.

4. Keeping AL is an advantage for the hawks. Basically free agency is over and there are no good prospects we could get in a SNT. If we keep AL for a year or the trading deadline, then there is a possibility that we could get more later on down the line.

If Bernie actually said that it is nonsensical. Why in the world would they draft another forward if they intend to resign Al?

This team needs a total ownership, front office and coaching makeover. Seems no one is communicating and no one knows what they are doing. Very frustrating because the team does have some talented young players on the roster now.

At this point, given the new legal problems to take into consideration, it might make a lot more sense to keep Al on board. Then we can still trade him once this mess gets resolved, maybe at the trade deadline a year-and-a-half from now. With Al on board we would have more depth and scoring, but we should still improve on defense with the additions of Sheldon and Speedy. The only problem is this holds back the development of all our young forwards.

• Premium Member

I guess Shelden represents a defensive face. i.e. that none of our players save maybe JJ will play above 35 mpg. We will have a team that scores and then defensive reserves until we get to a situ where one of our young players can replace Al. I would hope that we would trade Al for a Pick and an ending contract so that we can look at getting Hansbrough or Big Baby or Noah.

assuming Milwaukee truly wants to trade Magloire they are the solution. i wonder if they would offer a first rounder along with Magloire to lock up a good young player for 5 to 6 years.

next year we could use Magloire in a S&T in the same fashion.

keeping Al for another year would and should be the last option. it's really time to move on.

also as i've asked in the past what is in the CBA about 1 year deals? you never see them in the NBA so that's why i wonder. wouldn't signing a player to a small one year deal to bump him up the next year be circumventing the salary cap? if so then do you have to have a player on the roster for 3 years to be able to sign him and go over the cap?

This may be the best scenario for the Hawks. If Al stays this year, then we are a playoff team. This will be enough to sale tickets next year. I think that the Hawks want him just for the short term in order to win quickly as possible.

If we can't trade him now, then it would seem to make a lot of sense for both us and Al to re-sign him now then trade him later- though that would thoroughly screw up our plans since how on fricken earth will we ever be able to get enough minutes for our stable of forwards?

It would just be absolutely ridiculous to have a #2 pick in the draft riding pine for his second straight season, but that might be what we're looking at.

G-damn Belkin to hell. He is the stereotypic turd in the punchbowl. It's like everytime we as Hawks fans have something to feel excited about or look forward to, along comes Belkin to crap all over it. First it was the Joe Johnson saga last year, then the news right before this years draft that Belkin has the upper hand in taking over the whole operation, and now this BS which may very well hinder us in being able to move Harrington.

• Premium Member

Quote:

This may be the best scenario for the Hawks. If Al stays this year, then we are a playoff team. This will be enough to sale tickets next year. I think that the Hawks want him just for the short term in order to win quickly as possible.

Just curious, what would be his contract and what would be you starting line-up and rotation?

• Premium Member

Actually, from Bernie talk, it seems that we can't SNT Al so our options are either to let him Walk literally for NOTHING or to re-Sign him.

My thought is that it just makes sense to resign him because he is an asset.

If you look at all our players as assets, then resigning Al makes the most sense. If you're worried about how Woody will handle having another 18 ppg player on the squad, then you're looking at this the wrong way.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If you look at all our players as assets, then resigning Al makes the most sense. If you're worried about how Woody will handle having another 18 ppg player on the squad, then you're looking at this the wrong way.

How much would you pay? And what would be the starting line-up and rotation?

Quote:

Actually, from Bernie talk, it seems that we can't SNT Al so our options are either to let him Walk literally for NOTHING or to re-Sign him.

Well we wouldn't exactly be getting nothing by letting him walk, because we would be getting a large measure of additional cap-space, but what good is that if you can't use it?

And Al gets absolutely nothing by walking, except screwed over nine ways to Sunday.

Al "Matador" was a key cog in last year's 26 win team.

now we have a 2nd to 3rd tier PG and we have a banger down low that wouldn't be on the floor at the same time as Al. those are the only changes.

how is that a recipe for success?

H E Double L NO Al Harrington Has Got To Go!

Our main goal next season is to win. Period!!! I don't care if Marvin, Shelden,or Josh Smith has to sit the pine to accomplish this goal. I don't care if Al has to sit to accomplish this goal. The Hawks have to put the best players on the court. People on this board have to stop talking about where players were picked in the draft. Only fans are concerned witht that BS. Billy Knight and Woodson are only looking at talent and it is there job to put together a playoff team.

• Moderators

Quote:

We should be able to S&T him for expiring contracts and pick(s).

• Premium Member

Quote:

Our main goal next season is to win. Period!!! I don't care if Marvin, Shelden,or Josh Smith has to sit the pine to accomplish this goal. I don't care if Al has to sit to accomplish this goal. The Hawks have to put the best players on the court. People on this board have to stop talking about where players were picked in the draft. Only fans are concerned witht that BS. Billy Knight and Woodson are only looking at talent and it is there job to put together a playoff team.

Your proplem in understanding my delima is that you just happen to one of the few that thinks that Al has all of this talent whereas I don't think that he has that much talent. Sure he had a career year last year but even in his career year, we won 26 games. Volume shooting will get you points and other than his points, what did he do well?

• Premium Member

Quote:

How much would you pay? And what would be the starting line-up and rotation?

Seeing that the market has fallen from beneath Al's feet and that we want to remain viable for trades during the year and next year, I would give Al a 6 year 55 million dollar deal.

I think it's fair. It's a bit of a lowball, but when it's either this or 4 yr 22 million, I think Al would probably appreciate this deal a lot.

We would have the best excuse in the world to give Al.. Ownership mess.

If he wants more, I would offer a 5 year 50 million dollar deal.. but I think the six year deal is probably better for him. I'll even give him a P.O, after 5 years.

As far as rotation.

I'm of the belief that we should cut Ivey.

I believe we should sign Grundy to a 2 year 1.5 million dollar deal.

I like our PG rotation of Speedy, Lue, Salim.

I like our Sg rotation of JJ, JChillz, Salim.

I like our SF rotation of JSmoove, Marvin, JChillz

I like our PF rotation of Al, Shelden, JSmoove.

I like our C rotation of Zaza, Shelden, Este.

There is a crowd in our forwards. However, we have so much depth that we don't have to fear injury SOOO Much.

We also have lots of tradable assets.

Why?..If it makes sense for AL and the Hawks just give him a 1 year deal..See how the young guys develope and see where we are as the trade deadline approaches..That should work for the Hawks and for AL..No way in hell you give him a longterm contract with our glut of forwards..