• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

A common discussion on this board is Al's 18 ppg

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

And who will absorb the those 18 points if Al leaves.

1st of all Speedy Claxton averaged 12 pppg as Chris Paul's back-up so even if his points don't change as a starter which is unlikely, the balance is 18-12 or 6 points. We also added Shelden William in the draft and he averaged 19 ppg in college. Now even if he struggles as a rookie, He should be able to muster up 6 points per game don't you think? Now say that doesn't happen and we have to get 6 points per game from Marvin & Smoove. Marvin Averaged 8.6 ppg and he goes up to 11ppg and Smoove goes from 11ppg to 13ppg, we have only 2ppg to cover. I think that Shelden could handle averaging 2 ppg don't you think even if he is terrible.

Am I the only one that thinks that losing Al's offense is easily replaced?

• Admin

It's easy for most teams to make up 18 raw points. Lets face it, like him or not, Al was more than 18 raw points. He was a defensive focus. Teams doubled him and even when they didn't, they focused on him which opens things up for everyone else. Many of Josh Smiths late season 3's were the result of his man leaving him to go into the post to squeeze Al.

Speedy isn't going to be a defensive focus. So it comes down to Smooth, Marvin, Sheldon or Zaza to step up. If any one of these guys has improved enough to force teams to focus on them, we will be more than fine. Otherwise, we're going to miss Al's presence far more than his raw 18 points.

Quote:

And who will absorb the those 18 points if Al leaves.

1st of all Speedy Claxton averaged 12 pppg as Chris Paul's back-up so even if his points don't change as a starter which is unlikely, the balance is 18-12 or 6 points. We also added Shelden William in the draft and he averaged 19 ppg in college. Now even if he struggles as a rookie, He should be able to muster up 6 points per game don't you think? Now say that doesn't happen and we have to get 6 points per game from Marvin & Smoove. Marvin Averaged 8.6 ppg and he goes up to 11ppg and Smoove goes from 11ppg to 13ppg, we have only 2ppg to cover. I think that Shelden could handle averaging 2 ppg don't you think even if he is terrible.

Am I the only one that thinks that losing Al's offense is easily replaced?

Any discussion about adding/suntracting a player's points doesn't really strike me as that practical.

If accounting for points was the way to quntify a team, then Bernard King, Mark Aguirre, Dominique, Glenn Robinson and Keith Van Horn would be the ultimate.

I'd rather have the Celtics,Lakers or Bulls in their dynasty days.

No Al means more offensive effciency in my mind. There should be more ball movement and plenty of capable people of adjusting favorably to Al's departure. Al didn't always draw a double team, and wasn't always effective at exploiting it.

It will be replaced, we don't need Al's offense...what we need is a style, an identity...and we need to stick to it.

Salim and Chills will prolly score more this year.

Our starting group should never walk the ball up the court..with Speedy and Joe we should be able to control tempo.

Don't get me started.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It's easy for most teams to make up 18 raw points. Lets face it, like him or not, Al was more than 18 raw points. He was a defensive focus. Teams doubled him and even when they didn't, they focused on him which opens things up for everyone else

I disagree, Joe johnson was the focus of other team's defense. JJ was double teamed all of the time! That is what the staff found out early last year and desided to get another point guard into the game. And you don't think that Shelden will command a double team when he post up

• Premium Member

Anybody can adopt a style or identity.

Hell, in the mid 90s the Mavs adopted the triangle with JKidd, JMash, and JJack...

However, whatever you Adopt has to work.

It's really a waste if you develop something and stick to something that just doesn't get it done.

Like it or not, there was a benefit to having Al on the court offensively. JSmoove and Marvin were both beneficiaries of Al's offensive game.

Now to come here and say that one of these guys will easily step up to replace Al is nothing but Hope. Especially when you consider that neither one of them has a strong move around the basket.

Shelden won't draw double teams, not initially. But our offense does not need to come from the post...actually we looked horrible when posting up last year with AL or ZZ, the offense often times becomes stagnant. We should penetrate and finish...or get to the line or kick to open shooters for the majority of our half court offense.

Remember the majority of the league can't guard on the perimeter.

Then pick and roll/pop/fade.

Lastly..if we must post, we can post JJ or ZZ or even Smoove at times.

Offense won'r be a problem ...it is on the other end where we get in trouble.

The majority of Al's offense last year came from jump shots...you are exaggerating his post presence.

Of course you don't continue to do the same thing if it does not work...obviously feeding Al in the post doesn't work well..so lets stay away from that.