• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Depending on What Bernie Said, MW lovers should

Diesel

• Premium Member

be worried.

If Bernie alluded to us not believing that our young guys could get it done offensively (as Rex Hawk Suggests), then MW lovers should really be worried that Marvin may be a bust.

I can understand why BK would want to keep MW a bust as a secret. Mainly because BK catches so much flack about not taking Paul.. Not to mention the redundant position arguement.

I think one of the greatest indicators to where BK feels Marvin really is is weather or not we resign Al.

If we resign Al, what exactly is BK saying? Especially about MW.

The concern is that a 19 year old Marvin won't be able to replace Al's scoring THIS YEAR when we need to make sure the Suns don't get an absurdly high draft pick--not that Marvin could NEVER replace Al's scoring.

And the only reason we're even thinking about resigning Al is because of the restrictions placed on us by Belkin. Before all the legal problems arose Harrington told the world the Hawks had made it clear he wasn't coming back.

Quote:

be worried.

If Bernie alluded to us not believing that our young guys could get it done offensively (as Rex Hawk Suggests), then MW lovers should really be worried that Marvin may be a bust.

I can understand why BK would want to keep MW a bust as a secret. Mainly because BK catches so much flack about not taking Paul.. Not to mention the redundant position arguement.

I think one of the greatest indicators to where BK feels Marvin really is is weather or not we resign Al.

If we resign Al, what exactly is BK saying? Especially about MW.

Diesel, you should really go work for Days of Our Lives or something ... did you throw a hissy fit when they wouldn't let you enter the local beauty pageant as a kid?

Quote:

The concern is that a 19 year old Marvin won't be able to replace Al's scoring THIS YEAR when we need to make sure the Suns don't get an absurdly high draft pick--not that Marvin could NEVER replace Al's scoring.

And the only reason we're even thinking about resigning Al is because of the restrictions placed on us by Belkin. Before all the legal problems arose Harrington told the world the Hawks had made it clear he wasn't coming back.

Why do we care whether the Suns get an absurdly high pick? That would really only affect us if we were playing each other in the NBA finals, and their window for reaching the finals is probably the same as our own window for just making the playoffs.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Actually, I think Marvin is 20 now. Let's get our excuses out of the teens...

Secondly, what kind of time would Marvin need to be able to produce?

Ummm... can we give him more than one freakin year, at least??? Sheesh.

• Admin

First off, you can't call a guy a bust after one season. It's stupid to do it and stupid to suggest it.

Second, if we resign Al it doesn't really mean anything given the situation. We can't sign anyone else and we can't SnT Al. Letting him walk would be a huge waste. So if we are truely stuck, resigning him isn't that bad of a move. Becuase he's still an asset that can be traded and his value isn't going to drop much if at all.

wow, i'm still amazed at all the cra.p that Marvelous Marvin Williams gets. The man has played all of 1 season in the NBA, turned 20 3 WEEKS AGO, and showed a great improvement over the course of the year.

take out the unbeleivable season Chris Paul had and noone would be saying a drip.

I have 100% faith and expectation that Marvin will be an all-star in the league. And I think IF Al Harrington is moved and Marvin's playing time increases, you WILL see a glimpse of the future from him this season.

If i'm wrong, fine. But so far he has not shown ANYTHING whatsoever to make ANYONE think he's going to be a waste of a pick.

And every sportswriter and Diesel will have to eat their words.

• Premium Member

While I really agree with us resigning Al for the purpose of him being an Asset.

If Bernie is going around with the story that they are worried about where will points come from.. then it has to speak to our disbelief in Marvin's ability to step up any time soon.

Sorry if I'm not on the freakin Marvin Williams 5 year plan.

But I believe that at some point, even the MWLove fans should have some type of expectation on when the baby will be ready for some meat?

Marvin went to College for 1 year.

Averaged more than 20 min per game in just about every game last year.

Is Marvin on the Carmello Anthony plan? Obviously not.

When can Hawks fans expect anything from Marvin because it may be that the Hawks frontoffice has a timetable that goes beyond this year.

What if Paul just had his best season as an NBA player? We won't know until the future happens. Thinking we do know what will happen is foolish.

And one of those teams filled their need with a PG who was not named Chris Paul.

God, I HATE this stupid debate. I wish Paul would vanish from the planet.

• Admin

and it's as simple as that. You're losing 18ppg and losing an offensive focal point. It's not a stretch for anyone to wonder where the points are going to come from. The reality is that they will not come from one person. Marvin isn't going to be expected to go from 8.5ppg to 28ppg all by himself. It will be on JJ, the Josh's, Lue, Zaza, the new guys AND MARVIN to get the points. His comments have nothing to do with marvin specifically or marvin alone.

I don't get the whole "when is marvin going to do something" BS. He's a second year player who isn't going to really start to develop until years 2-4. WTF more do you really expect from him given that? If he adds 4 ppg this season, will that not be enough? If he adds 6, will that do it for you? What about 8? You keep throwing up this open ended question that is more of a veiled criticism than it is any genuine question. Why don't you tell us all what you expect from Marvin and stop wasting time.

It all comes back to the same old [censored]. Through the years you've nuzzled the sack of countless "projects" and in some cases continue to do so even after they've had 5-6 years to prove something and have failed to do so. Yet we draft a project and all of a sudden the rules change and he has to become an all-star immediately or he's a bust.

But I'll tell you what I expect. I expect improvement. I watched him a lot last year and I saw what he did well and what he did poorly. For a rookie with no role and two more experienced players ahead of him, he did damned good. I expect his points, rebounds, defense and overall game IQ will all be better this year. I've watched him enough and I know the game well enough that I will be able to tell whether or not he's gotten better. I seriously doubt that anyone in the Hawks organization is expecting more than that either.