• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Harrington Sweepstakes Down to 3 Teams

sinctybldh

It appears that the Al Harrington sweepstakes have come down to three teams, that is if you believe what the man himself says.

Basketball News Services spoke with Al Harrington about his NBA future in an exclusive interview in Las Vegas on Monday, and despite some reports that a sign-and-trade deal is as a good as done with the Golden State Warriors, Harrington said not so fast.

"Right now, it's up in the air," Harrington said Monday night. "I've got Indiana, Golden State, the Knicks. You know, those are my top three teams pretty much, right now. Just trying to get a sign-and-trade done for me to get out of Atlanta. I'm not sure what's going to happen. Just keeping my fingers crossed, and whatever's going to happen is gonna happen."

The one thing that appears certain at this time is that Harrington's days in the A-T-L appear numbered. So does Harrington believe he's done in Atlanta?

"Right now, it seems that way," Harrington replied. "At the end of the day, they can still do the most for me. So, you know, it's up to them. Maybe, the next couple of days, they'll fall back in love with me. Until I sign, I don't know what's going to happen. I just know that I'm going to be somewhere, definitely in a winning environment."

Harrington, a St Patrick's New Jersey graduate, also stated that just because the Knicks appear to be in turmoil, he wouldn't count out a return to his old stomping grounds.

"Come on man, there's no way anyone can say that they don't want to play for the Knicks," Harrington said with a smile. "It's always big playing in The Garden every night. If it's meant for me, it's going to happen."

Harrington indicated that one additional team that showed some interest in him was the Denver Nuggets, but apparently the interest was never enough to merit any serious discussions.

When asked if the Nuggets had voiced any interest, Harrington responded, "They have, but I guess not seriously enough that they're someone that we're talking about right now."

When asked if his versatility is worthy of a long hard look from a lot of NBA clubs, Harrington replied, "Yeah, but that's the way the game is turning, anyway. More versatile players, guys playing all over the floor. Yeah, it definitely helps me. There's pretty much no situation where the coach can say he can't have me on the floor."

And it appears that the coaches with the option of putting Harrington on the floor next season will be Rick Carlisle in Indiana, Mike Montgomery of Golden State, or the newly instated Isiah Thomas in New York.

While Harrington acknowledged -- albeit slightly -- that anything could still happen, expect a sign-and-trade to go down in the coming days between Atlanta and one of the aforementioned three teams.

More news as it becomes available.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_18069.shtml

Harrington to NY may make the most sense. unfortunately after Frye it's bloated contract land in New York.

somebody did some good research on another thread that listed a NY player that had an expiring contract this year. i really don't see NY improving to more than an .500 ballclub this year. perhaps we can trade for the pick they are left with if they have to trade it with CHI next season.

Quote:

Quote:

Just trying to get a sign-and-trade done for me to get out of Atlanta.

Doesn't exactly sound like is reluctant to leave, does it?

With the ownership situation, I don't see how you can blame him....

And no, those obviousally aren't winning franchises right now and I don't think either would be that much better with the addition of Al.

Madison Square Garden? Sorry... the building doesn't mean that much to me. I think players that want to go there basically ignore reality of the mess that franchise is in. Pretty close to has bad as the hawks right now.

• Moderators

Quote:

I wouldn't mind a package including either Frye or Lee, or both..

I am not even sure we can acquire those players, though, since they are signed to multi-year deals. I think the incentive would have to be picks, player rights, or something done with Belkin's blessing.

Maurice Taylor has an ending contract that could be used in the trade, but I think any deal with New York has to include Channing Frye. I don't think the first round pick they could give us will be very high in the '07 draft, because it will be whichever pick the Bulls end up with. I'd hate to know that we traded Al Harrington for a pick that turns out to be the 23rd pick in the draft only. Without Channing Frye, they will have to sweaten the pot and give us another future first round pick that doesn't have much protection on it.

Quote:

Why does he consider GS, NY and Indiana, winning environments?

The truth here is that the kincks/nets are personal favorites of his because he grew up in NJ, Indy is a target because he has deep ties there, and GS because his agent is out there and they are interested in him. I don't think winning factors in strongly at all at this point

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Why does he consider GS, NY and Indiana, winning environments?

The truth here is that the kincks/nets are personal favorites of his because he grew up in NJ, Indy is a target because he has deep ties there, and GS because his agent is out there and they are interested in him. I don't think winning factors in strongly at all at this point

I agree 100%. Right now it is about getting paid. This is his best chance for a big payday at 26 coming off an 18 & 7 season.

• Moderators

Quote:

My guess is that the Knicks are being mentioned in order to up Al's price tag...

Unless Frye is available, GS and Indiana are still the two frontrunners ATP.

I would definitely take a future unrestricted first rounder from NY - like their 2008 first rounder.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I would definitely take a future unrestricted first rounder from NY - like their 2008 first rounder.

They already owe a lotto-protected 1st rounder to Utah (via Phoenix) according to nbadraft.net.

That will complicate their trading another 1st rounder, I think. (Trading future picks is too complicated!).