• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Poor Woody the Problems have now just Begun!!!!!!!

LastDon

I think that after 10 games that Woody will realize that the double small foward lineup is not what's best for the team. He will have to insert Shelden into the lineup for this team to be anywhere close to competitive.

When this takes place either smoove or marvin will become upset with their role with the team. Its going to be hard for a coach to have a number 2 and 6 pick coming off the bench and those players be satisfied with their role.

I just think that in order for this team to compete for a playoff spot that the team should have an open competetion for the 1, 3,4 spots between Claxton,Salim,Marvin,Chill,Smoove,Shelden.

Man...I have been watching the games where Al missed at the end of last year...Smoove/marvin had amazing chemistry and played well together, often feeding ewach other for dunks and layups...also did anyone notice how Smoove's running hook became almost automatic.

Marvin began to get to the line a lot more, as cats started to go for the pump fake on the jumper.

Ball movement was great...and with Speedy..out there this team will be fun to watch, offensively.

Defensively, I don't see how we will improve much from last year unless we add a vet big that plays D. We should cut down on turnovers this year though, that will help defensively.

a) al gone = better defense

b) shelden = better defense

c) solomon jones = better defense than edwards

d) batman more comfortable and better english = better defense

e) woody is stressing defense as #1 in practices = better defense

this is gonna be a fun team to watch once al is out of the way

the smoove/marvin combo works VERY well together and woody won't have problems going with that combo often

What makes you think Woody will have Josh & Marvin both in the starting lineup? Right now the Powerforward spot seems to be Shelden's for the taking. Who ever performs better in practice will be the starting Small Forward. Who cares about where Marvin was drafted. He understands that he still has to show something on the floor. It won't be handed to him just because he was a highdraft pick. Josh Childress will probably be moved next offseason.

• Admin

has something been said to indicate that Sheldon won't be starting? I assumed he would be from day one. If for nothing else than his defensive ability and rebounding. Marvin wouldn't take coming off the bench bad. Just doesn't seem like his personality. Josh might, but then again, he might not.

As far as an open competition, that's what training camps are. Do you think Woodson is just saying "this is my lineup", before they've even played a game together? JJ and Zaza are probably the only two guys who can be penciled in for a sure spot in the starting ro.

"has something been said to indicate that Sheldon won't be starting? I assumed he would be from day one. If for nothing else than his defensive ability and rebounding."

At this point, who knows who will start.

But I am pretty sure JJ/Speedy/Smoove will start.

I really don't see much of a problem..Marvin, Smoove, Sheldon, and Zaza will probably get the bulk of the time at the 3/4/5 spots in various combinations..All 4 players can get around 30 minutes a game and still leaves some time at the 3 for Chillz and time at the 5 for our backup bigs..

Quote:

...When this takes place either smoove or marvin will become upset with their role with the team...

I've wondered about this and you may be right LD. It's one thing to have a normal progression of an experienced player at a position, and a young guy working his way up. I would think it would be easier to explain things like minutes then for a coach. To have 2 (or some may say 3) very young guys vying for a key position on the team seems like it could be troublesome. Maybe it can be done (?) - hope so. We wouldn't want it to break down into individuals competing with each other more than as a team against the other team.

Still - with some creativity (the Hawks specialty!) and as long as one or beth are willing to put in time at the 4 - there may be plenty of minutes to go around.

Honestly though, if there's one area where Woody has excelled, it is in keeping all the players motivated and positive, and giving full effort for 48 minutes nightly despite all of the losing. Until I seem evidence to the contrary, I will assume that all these guys will behave like the professional millionaires that they are and play nice.

Unless a deal comes along for Chillz that brings us a quality big or high draft choice I think its a great problem to have..Especially if we really plan on being a running team depth will be important..I still think we will see times with a Speedy, JJ, Chillz, Marvin, and Smoove on the court together running and gunning..

I don't agree, there were many nights the team was not focused and generally did not play hard...when we play hard like the Bulls and Bobcats ...Woody will get some credit.

Those teams did not always play well but they played hard.

It is hard for me to forget that New Orleans games where they had a million injuries... and we got down and quit, Salim came in, picked us up and then you could tell that we had been going through the motions.

Esteban is probably the worst basketball player that I have ever seen. Why people assume that this stiff will ever play a significant role is beyond me. He can barely make a layup.

He is just as likely to hurt one of our key guys in practice as he is a player on another team. Edwards sucks but he can make a layup and he can knock down an open 15 footer.

Batista is a hack with no skills. I can't believe we extended him. I also can't believe some people here put him into some kind of viable rotation. If Batista plays a lot...we suck. That dude couldn't play for my mens team. He is going to hurt somebody...

Quote:

Honestly though, if there's one area where Woody has excelled, it is in keeping all the players motivated and positive, and giving full effort for 48 minutes nightly despite all of the losing...

Yeah - I think it can be done and Woody did a pretty good job last year (but Blunt does bring up a point). I guess the key question is, when we go MW, JS, and ZZ or Batista...will we get killed in the paint again? I think our situation at the 5 spot is more of a concern when MW and JS play the two forward spots together.

Given that they are a year older, maybe it'll be better (and in fairness; most of the time we were getting killed in the paint last year we had AL at the 4).

marvin-smith-zaza will be much, MUCH better defensively than smith-al-zaza for two reasons:

-al harrington is gone leaving one defensive liability instead of 2 out of 3

-smith at the 4 puts him in a much better position to intimidate and get blocks on help situations, rather than when he is defending on the perimeter, too far to help

Quote:

The real solution would be to have JJ, CHildress, Smith, Marvin and SHelden all on the floor at once. Everyone can score and play D. That's a future playoff team right there.

And who exactly is guarding the PG's, who is bringing the ball up in the backcourt, and who is running the fast break?

i cant believe youre saying Edwards is better than Batista

he was extended because he brings a fire and intensity often lacking on the Hawks

keeping in mind that he has only played basketball since he was 16(!), i cant see how he is guaranteed to be a 'hack' or have no improvement in scoring etc

Edwards meanwhile does something once every 10 or 12 games, and the rest of the time is a waste of space

i personally hope for good things from Batista

good luck with your h4t3 tongue.gif

Quote:

Quote:

The real solution would be to have JJ, CHildress, Smith, Marvin and SHelden all on the floor at once. Everyone can score and play D. That's a future playoff team right there.

And who exactly is guarding the PG's, who is bringing the ball up in the backcourt, and who is running the fast break?

Childress is our best defender so he guards the Point. JJ is our best playmaker so he brings the ball up the court. The fast break? That's the beauty of this lineup because any player is capable of rebounding the ball and running the other way.