• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I believe Indiana has best straight trade for Al

KB21

If there is no third team involved, I think the Hawks would be better off going through Indiana for a trade than through Golden State. With Golden State, the Hawks may be able to pry away Andris Biedrins, who would be a prime catch, but they would have to take on a bad contract. I like Biedrins, but I don't think I like him enough to take on Troy Murphy's, Mike Dunleavy's, or Adonal Foyle's contract.

With Indiana, their prime trading chip is Jeff Foster, who has a very managable deal and is a steal for his price because of his rebounding ability. I think Jeff Foster would be able to fill a great role off the bench as a back up 4/5 man that can come in and grab rebounds and give good defense even though he's not a shot blocker. Of course, Jeff Foster by himself won't be enough salary to make the deal, so the Hawks would probably have to take one of Indy's three point guards in the deal. Either Tinsley, Jasekivus, or Johnson. Tinsley has the longer contract, but he's the better player by far when he's healthy.

Now, if the Hawks and Warriors can get Denver to be the third team in a three team deal, and the Hawks somehow come out of the deal with Andris Biedrins and perhaps Andre Miller, then that would be the deal to pursue, IMO.

• Premium Member

I'm missing it on Dunleavy... why is he such a bad option?

I know vaguely about the BYC thing, but since we're under the cap as we are and given that Al's contract will be in the 10 range by most accounts, that seemingly isn't such a big deal in terms of having to give back 2x Dunleavy's salary.

I don't know that Dunleavy is a fit for our team, but I for one remain high on him. He has a John Havilcek-ness to him that's really intriguing.

And besides, it's essentially a one-year deal if we got him, right???

Quote:

Do you think the Hawks told Speedy he would start to get him to sign here?

I don't see why we would take a pg in trade unless we are moving a pg.

i think they told him they'd pay him 25 million. at that point the concersation probably ended on Speedy's end.

Dunleavy is another SF...like we don't have enough of those? His contract sucks and he is soft as a babies bottom. The dude can't even shoot that well either.

I want to deal with GS because they have some nice pieces and Chris Mullin is horrible and ready to be fleeced. This is the same GM that signed many of these guys to bad deals.

Monta Ellis is who I want more than anybody and would take Murphy's contract to get him. Biedrins or O'Bryant might ne in a deal as well because the Warriors have 3 centers...I don't want Foyle for any reason.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Childress included in the deal to alleviate our SF logjam...he would be playing for Montgomery again...and we could get a big and an Ellis.

Quote:

I'm missing it on Dunleavy... why is he such a bad option?

I know vaguely about the BYC thing, but since we're under the cap as we are and given that Al's contract will be in the 10 range by most accounts, that seemingly isn't such a big deal in terms of having to give back 2x Dunleavy's salary.

I don't know that Dunleavy is a fit for our team, but I for one remain high on him. He has a John Havilcek-ness to him that's really intriguing.

And besides, it's essentially a one-year deal if we got him, right???

With the BYC, any trade involving him you take half of his salary and use that as the cap hit.

For example, say Dunleavy makes $10 M a year (I don't know if it is or not). Any trade involving him would say he makes $5 M a year. So if we S&T Al at a starting salary of $10 M per, in order to trade for Dunleavy we would need to package at least another $2.9 M in the deal in order to satisfy the 125% + $100,000 rule. This is also because GS cannot recieve more salary then they send out due to the cap.

And in Dunleavy's situation, having him as a BYC and then having another player satisfy the rest of the deal would more than likely put us right at the cap and possibly over.

I hope that clears up the BYC confusion a little better.

• Moderators

Quote:

Just curious, what is the purpose of the BYC crap in the cba?..It only restricts player movement and keeps teams from making improvements..

To keep players from being traded in the first year after they sign a contract. It is designed to restrict player movement.

Quote:

Just curious, what is the purpose of the BYC crap in the cba?..It only restricts player movement and keeps teams from making improvements..

It is just to block a loophole in the traded player exception (the one that says you need to be within 125% + $100,000).

Here is an update in regards to GS's chances

The road was made easier for the Warriors to acquire Atlanta Hawks free agent forward Al Harrington. A Maryland judge revised his recent ruling that the Hawks could not initiate any multiyear contracts other than for their draft picks. So Atlanta is free to sign Harrington to whatever deal he works out with another team and then trade him to that team, provided that contract doesn't exceed the salary cap.

Quote:

However, another part of the judge's revision could affect the Warriors' chances at landing Harrington. The judge ruled the Hawks could not add a player with a contract of more than four years unless both sides of the feuding Atlanta ownership sign off. Warriors forward Troy Murphy, who would figure to be part of any deal for Harrington, has five years remaining on his contract.

Contra Costa Times

Quote:

If there is no third team involved, I think the Hawks would be better off going through Indiana for a trade than through Golden State. With Golden State, the Hawks may be able to pry away Andris Biedrins, who would be a prime catch, but they would have to take on a bad contract. I like Biedrins, but I don't think I like him enough to take on Troy Murphy's, Mike Dunleavy's, or Adonal Foyle's contract.

With Indiana, their prime trading chip is Jeff Foster, who has a very managable deal and is a steal for his price because of his rebounding ability. I think Jeff Foster would be able to fill a great role off the bench as a back up 4/5 man that can come in and grab rebounds and give good defense even though he's not a shot blocker. Of course, Jeff Foster by himself won't be enough salary to make the deal, so the Hawks would probably have to take one of Indy's three point guards in the deal. Either Tinsley, Jasekivus, or Johnson. Tinsley has the longer contract, but he's the better player by far when he's healthy.

Now, if the Hawks and Warriors can get Denver to be the third team in a three team deal, and the Hawks somehow come out of the deal with Andris Biedrins and perhaps Andre Miller, then that would be the deal to pursue, IMO.

Jamaal Tinsley and Foster? If I was Billy I'd be tripping over myself to do that deal. But Lue would have to go.

Quote:

Here is an update in regards to GS's chances

The road was made easier for the Warriors to acquire Atlanta Hawks free agent forward Al Harrington. A Maryland judge revised his recent ruling that the Hawks could not initiate any multiyear contracts other than for their draft picks. So Atlanta is free to sign Harrington to whatever deal he works out with another team and then trade him to that team, provided that contract doesn't exceed the salary cap.

Quote:

However, another part of the judge's revision could affect the Warriors' chances at landing Harrington. The judge ruled the Hawks could not add a player with a contract of more than four years unless both sides of the feuding Atlanta ownership sign off. Warriors forward Troy Murphy, who would figure to be part of any deal for Harrington, has five years remaining on his contract.

Contra Costa Times

i would hope Billy has to be able to do better than that deal anyway.

I think it would be worth taking a bad contract on to get Biedrins, since all (well, almost all..) of they're bad contracts are still good players. With the exception of Foyle, any big contract we pick up could be moved relatively easily later on. Take Murphy for example. He may be a big contract, and he doesn't really fit in with us, but he's a 26-year-old double double machine. We could swing him somewhere real easy.

PS.

Yay first post!

Quote:

Of course, Jeff Foster by himself won't be enough salary to make the deal, so the Hawks would probably have to take one of Indy's three point guards in the deal. Either Tinsley, Jasekivus, or Johnson. Tinsley has the longer contract, but he's the better player by far when he's healthy.

We have Speedy, Lue, Royal, and Salim and JJ as "kinda" PGs. Why on earth would we be taking on one of their PGs? It just doesn't make sense unless we turn around and trade one of ours.

I think you are right about Indy, but wrong with the players. It would have to be Foster, Bender, and a 1st. We would be pretty damn close to the cap in that situation, so maybe we would have to throw Edwards back at them. I don't know if Bender has a league approved medical reason for retiring, but if he does that means his salary goes away mid-season. If he isn't approved, then we could use that big expiring contract to make a mid-season trade.