• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

NBA.com-HAWKS GET THE POINT

WraithSentinel

Here some info I found on NBA.com regarding Speedy and the Hawks. Basically what the "experts" and fantasy BBall guys think.

=========================

HAWKS GET THE POINT

I think the Hawks helped themselves by picking up Speedy Claxton. I think they desperately needed a point guard. Claxton had a nice year last year. I think he’s improved as a player since he’s come into the league and he’s a big improvement over the situation Atlanta had.

They have a pretty good, talented club. I don’t know what’s going to happen with Al Harrington, because they’ve got an ownership problem, whether they’ll be able to get anything in return for Harrington because they can only get a player back that has a one-year contract. So, that’s going to be very difficult.

The Hawks have young players and their young players are very good. I think Joe Johnson is even better than people thought. They have Josh Smith. They have the two Williamses – one from North Carolina (Marvin), one from Duke (Shelden). Josh Childress is getting a little bit better. They have enough young players and enough people, but they needed someone to help them improve offensively in the running game. Tyronn Lue is a nice player, but he’s not really what you’d call a point guard. So, they needed (Claxton in) that area.

==================

Speedy Claxton to Atlanta

Speedy Claxton definitely gives them more of a push game. I am not sure how good of a distributor he is, but he is quick enough. Claxton is like his nickname, he likes to run the ball up and try to make something good happen. Atlanta is desperate for a small guard and for good things to happen.

====================

Speedy Claxton

Posted on July 12, 2006, at 5:32 p.m.

Old Team: New Orleans Hornets

New Team: Atlanta Hawks

In what amounts to a coup, the Hawks acquire a productive unselfish point guard with solid defense for a relatively low price. Claxton should get 35-plus minutes and should unquestionably be the starter. Claxton turns into fantasy heaven as a result, mainly because he contributes so significantly in steals, one of the rarest categories on draft day. For his career Claxton averages 1.5 steals per game in 25.8 minutes, and with heavy starting minutes he can make a run at the NBA lead in steals. Claxton’s biggest downside is that he has limited range – he is not a good three-point shooter and as a result rarely shoots from beyond the arc. In leagues that count turnovers, though, Claxton is even more underrated – he gets a solid amount of assists while keeping his turnovers low. Surrounded by a young team full of finishers, Claxton has significant upside in assists.

===================