• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coming into the 06-07 Season what is our strength?

Wurider05

I went to 35 games last year and I didn't see many shots swatted in his face. What I did see was a guy who hustled his ass off and has the knack for knowing where the ball is going off the rim.

Z has a lot of room to improve...but I like him on the team and believe that he brings some good things to the table.

Quote:

If ZZ had the same year he had last season in Detroit or Chicago...guys would tripping over themselves to get BK to sign him

Zaza would have been a practice squad player in Detroit, and with his defensive weakness there is no way he would have gotten many minutes in Chicago.

I understand the criticism on Zaza, but I really think he could have been more effective with some help. We asked for him to give us as much as he could on interior defense, and he gave a great effort. He just simply was all alone against the NBA's best.

I'd love to see someone else starting in front of ZZ, but I just can't diss the guy after all the elbows in the face I saw him take.

One thing he did for us that not many people gave him credit for, was getting guys in foul trouble by simply making an attempt to get the ball to the rim. I noticed quite a few games where he would get a key player taken out of the game by drawing fouls, and he was a solid FT shooter as well.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Give it a little time. We give Marvin, Smoove, and Chill time...why do people not give Z a little room?

I like Zaza, I think he's young and crafty like a young Vlade. I think the reason why people won't give Zaza more time is because of Hidden Nationalism. If Zaza was from the University of West Utah, they would easily give him more time.

• Premium Member

I think you have to also consider that playing beside an equally strong rebounder and defender will help mask some of Zaza's flaws which will make him even better.

But reduced minutes, more experience, Zaza should be better.

Most heckle and jeckles can't see that because they value Marvin more than the team.

Quote:

One thing he did for us that not many people gave him credit for, was getting guys in foul trouble by simply making an attempt to get the ball to the rim. I noticed quite a few games where he would get a key player taken out of the game by drawing fouls, and he was a solid FT shooter as well.

The problem is that he picked up a lot of offensive fouls by diving into people. He also threw up a lot of bad shots because he was looking to draw a foul rather than finish. That is a big reason his shooting percentage was so low for a center. And he also was one of the league leaders in offensive fouls.

The key to Zaza's offensive game improving is for him to seriously improve on the mid-range jumper. He'll never be a highlights guy. But if he can hit the mid-range jumper he can draw the opposing center further from the basket and open up the middle for our plethora of 6'9" slashers.

I agree that his mid-range shot is a big key for him offensively but that still won't mask his defensive weakness.

When it comes to Zaza Diesel will make every possible excuse for him. He keeps saying about how Zaza will get better if this or that happens yet he refuses to acknowlege the progress marvin made over the course of the season.

He also continues to deny the things Marvin does well while also trying to deny the things Zaza does poorly. his touting Zaza as a defensive rebounder is like Johnnybravo touting Salim's pg skills.

Quote:

I think you have to also consider that playing beside an equally strong rebounder and defender will help mask some of Zaza's flaws which will make him even better.

But reduced minutes, more experience, Zaza should be better.

Most heckle and jeckles can't see that because they value Marvin more than the team.

I agree on the first two points all the way.

You have zero credibility on the third point because no one's "hate" of zaza (or any player) is anywhere near being in the realm of your hate and bashing of Marvin

Versatility is easily our strength which is what BK wanted all along. Just look at our actual depth chart (listed in order of most likely to be used in that spot.

Speedy/Lue/Salim/JJ

JJ/Chillz/Salim

Chillz/Marvin/Smoove/JJ

Smoove/Shelden/Batista/Jones/Edwards

Zaza/Shelden/Batista/Jones/Edwards/Smoove

You can interchange most of our players at one or two positions and not loose any skill on the court. Right now the big question is cohesiveness of the team as a unit.

By the by these are my thoughts on Shelden since I havent said anything since the draft. Just like Kieth Brooking is worth more to ATL than anyone else so is Shelden. Shelden is one of 2 or 3 players on our squad to be well coached in college. I think he will do wonders for the younger players teaching them how to be coachable on the recieving end. On the court, I want you all to do me a favor. Go write down the dominant legitimate low post big men in the NBA. It cant be longer than 5 names cause there arent that many. All the 7 footers want to play wing now. Shelden wants to do the dirty work. Shelden has the technique and footwork that players taller than him dont have. Shelden will get leverage on most players. Shelden will easily get 10-15 pts a game on garbage points and put backs. All those defensive rebounds Zaza let get away wont get away. 12-5 is a good number to expect from Shelden. Was Shelden the best player at 5? debateable, but he was the best for us at 5.