• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Attitude Adjustment

chris

• Premium Member

I think it was BK on the radio who basically suggested that there was a physical altercation last year.

I don't know if Salim is wired to play PG. He just doesn't have the mentality.

However, I really hope that he works on his temper. He's had situations both here and at UA. I don't know if he can continue to be a disruption throughout his career.

I remember reading an article in ESPN magazine that said he was obsessive compulsive personality. Very rigid in how he cleaned his apartment, folded his clothers, etc. I thought then that this cat is gonna have a hard time on the road in the NBA.

I think there is a silver lining to this dark cloud: the kid really has a burning desire to play and win. The hope is that it humbles him some to get his attention. Sounds like Woody has handled it appropriately. Time will tell. Tomorrow we have basketball.

I think is a good thing...it is only a problem when u r gettin your ass handed to you but some of your teammates don't take as hard as you do.

I go back to the NO game, some of the guys quit.

Salim plays hard every game, did not always play well but he played hard.

I have said before, some of u may have given up on him too early.

Some fans may have given up on him. I haven't, and it appears that the people who make the decisions haven't given up on him either. Mike Woodson has already talked about how excited he is about Salim, Shelden, and Marvin this summer, and Billy has repeatedly talked about Salim being one of the reasons they didn't go for a guard in the draft.

he's a good player to have. he often seems to be just the right spark coming into the game to light a fire under the others after they've started slackin' and just going through the motions. i'm a little weary of them trying to get him in the pg role. anyone know if he's ever played point before? seems a little late in the game to learn to do that if he hasn't before. has anyone ever taken a solid rb or wr from college and tried getting them significant minutes as a qb in the nfl? i don't think so.

Quote:

anyone know if he's ever played point before? seems a little late in the game to learn to do that if he hasn't before.

in an interview after we drafted him, i recall him saying he played some PG in high school. i don't think he played much point at UA cuz they had gardner, then shakur.

he's a natural SG, but runnin some point should help him to be more unselfish/take better shots.

Quote:

I know I'm reading between the lines but with the emphasis on him playing the point, tells me that Ty Lue days are numbered.

that's ok with me. lue should actually have trade value. although after the speedy signing, BK talked about the advantage of now having another vet PG with playoff experience.

Quote:

I know I'm reading between the lines but with the emphasis on him playing the point, tells me that Ty Lue days are numbered.

I don't think that's it at all. I think we love Lue. Of course if Salim were to truly succeed at the point, Lue probably would go eventually, but I don't think that's by design here.

I think that the point is that Salim is a (generous) 6'1 shooter. He can't guard points well, let alone SG's. Our best player far and away is JJ who will be always play a large number of minutes and play them at the SG. Add those facts up, and if Salim is ever to be successful as more than a little instant offense off the bench, he HAS TO develop as a PG.

I don't like his odds of being a starter too much unless he's in a triangle-like system where the PG is a spot up shooter, but I do agree that he needs to start focusing hardcore on his handles, his D, and his general PG skills.

I agree that Salim will never be a classic style PG, but he can develop a better sense of the game. If he can develop handles and understand the concept of team defense, then he should be good for 20 minutes a game. He can cause havok out on the court. His main role should be come in and make things happen through, in order:

shooting

passing

good team defense (herding his man into the teeth of our shot blockers)

fast break (his speed should translate into easy baskets)

I like the guy and I hope that he learns to play with his teammates.

I like Salim's attitude. It's what makes him great. If he didn't think that way, not sure how successful he would be.

It seems like he is learning how to control his fire to work for him instead of against him. I think of Salim as our X-factor, and I hope he shows up this season in a big way.

Quote:

I like Salim's attitude. It's what makes him great. If he didn't think that way, not sure how successful he would be.

It seems like he is learning how to control his fire to work for him instead of against him. I think of Salim as our X-factor, and I hope he shows up this season in a big way.

Wait, when did he become "great"?

If he is told by the staff that his job is to come off the bench and score, then a young player tends to try too hard, not noticing how he may help in other ways.

Seems like the staff is trying to change his role.

Thats is what has me hesitant about Woody, he seems to be all over the place when trying to define roles and our style of play.

It seems that Marvin will open the summer league with a lot of post play, hope that this does not take away from his face up game and fake and dribble play.

I think the post play is to help him develop that part of his game in a non-critical situation. Marvin's post game probably won't be a significant part of his game until next year, but its good to get him working on it now.

Marvin can work on the outside game in normal practices. I am wating to see how much stronger he's gotten. Again, his strength won't come for a couple of more years, but I hope he set a good base for additional work.