• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

With All the Al talk, NOBODY has asked the questio

Diesel

I think we were all simply ecstatic that the Hawks acquired a bonafide point guard and barely even looked at the numbers, trusting that BK is generally pretty stingy with his budget.

Though I honestly believe that Brevin Knight will get close to that amount in an offseason market as well. He's more of a pure point, though he wouldn't push the ball like Speedy (assumedly) will.

not only that, but speedy is 3 years younger than brevin. even if their games are equal, i'd rather have the player who's under 30, more coming into his game and with a chance of a few more years to develop. didn't we already trade brevin away once? ex-players, to me, are like ex-girlfriends--there's a reason why you broke up with them to begin with, so (usually)it's best not to go back down that road again. lastly, we already have 2 joshes, 2 williams, i don't think we need 2 knights--the one we have now is more than enough!

Quote:

Did we overpay for Speedy giving him 6 million per?

How much different is Speedy than Brevin Knight?

Actually thats the first thing I said when I heard we signed him. He is getting $6.25 M a year. No other team was going to offer him more than the MLE ($5.2 M). So yes, we overpaid for him. But when BK wants a player, he ALWAYS overpays. Honestly, JJ isn't a Max player, he is close to it but not max. Speedy is an MLE type player, BK went about a million over what anyone else would give. Zaza is cheap, sure. But BK signed him to an offer sheet, so that gives you the impression that he wouldn't have been extremely upset if he didn't get Z. Collier? Come one, he gave him about $1.5 M when I doubt anyone else would offer the minimum.

Quote:

How much different is Speedy than Brevin Knight?

Would it be such a bad thing if he were a lot like Brevin Knight?

Brevin averaged 9 assists and only 2.2 turnovers in 29 minutes a game 2 years ago. Last year he averaged 8.8 assists and only 2.4 turnovers in 34 minutes a game. BTW in both years he averaged 2 steals.

So I think I'd be O.K. with that.

Anyway, I don't think it's that big of a deal to slightly overpay for someone to ensure that you get your man. Now if we gave him a 6 year 60 million dollare deal...that'd be different.

• Premium Member

Because Charlotte was openly trying to trade him. He makes 4.4 million which is less than we payed Speedy. I think Brevin is a better distributor and equally as quick with te ball. I think Speedy does get into a scoring position much better.

It's just some thoughts I had. I love the acquisition of Speedy and didn't want anyone to misunderstand my question. I do believe we overpaid a bit, but I believe that in our situation, we must overpay to get good free agents.

Quote:

I believe that in our situation, we must overpay to get good free agents.

until we're a better, more respected team its gonna be like that for a good bit. as a city, players love ATLANTA. but the organization isint all that attractive.

so we're gonna have to overpay. im just hoping that we "slightly" overpay and stay away from monster contracts.

i dont think speedy's contract is that big of a deal. if hes net worth is $5 and we paid $6... im ok.

• Premium Member

The only bad thing about overpaying is that you lose out on that player being an asset later.

What I mean is that if we wanted to use Speedy in trade Later, it will be difficult because he's not worth what we're giving him... Unless he becomes worth the money.

• Moderators

Remember we had a big offer for Cassell that he turned down. I'm sure BKs process was put out a big offer for Cassell (which was the highest offer) if it doesn't work then land Speedy. He didn't want to risk losing him after he lost his first choice. I'm cool with it.

Quote:

you're right, but speedy at that price is very movable. We overpaid a little, but not much. In the league of ridiculous contracts, this one is not bad at all.

Excactly Las...we aren't the only team overpaying a bit for free agents. Everybody seems to be this year. And with the new salary cap, #s are changing from the past so who's to really say what overpaying is?

• Premium Member

I hope he's movable.

The league is becoming flooded with young PGs. It won't be long before every team will have one. Having a high priced PG will not be advantageous. I like Speedy and am genuinely glad that we got him because we really needed a PG. I just wanted to point out what happens when you overpay.

For instance, who will take Eddy Curry off of NY's hand? What about M. Rose?

Look at the hard time Chicago will have moving Chandler!

And very soon, KG, Ai, and JO will all have their problems being moved too, but at least they have the talent to make their move doable.

a) the league is not flooded with young PG's. There are some good young PG's with potential as always, there is no more PG flood than there is at any other position

b) secondly to compare this contract with ones like Curry is ridiculous. If Curry's contract is an F, Speedy's contract is a B. Yes we overpaid, but not by much. It doesn't worry me one bit

• Premium Member

Well, there will never be more PGs than Forwards...

But there are a lot of PGs who are in the league now who could not have been PGs 10 years ago.

Then there are some guys not even in the league that's can be.

Gilchrist, Dude out of Washington, Stepp, all those PGs hiding in Europe like Cenk...

The day of the OG being PG is here and there's a lot of them dee brown like guys who will find a team in the league because of Arenas.