• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is it time to be concerned about Shelden

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Quote:

So far, Shelden has 7 rebounds. That's probably more rebounds than Obryant had playing the whole Reebok pro S averaging over 20 mpg.

Why do people consistently try to lie and mislead others on this forum by making statements that are obviously false and can be easily checked. That is how you lose credibility on this board. And then when other posters question your motivation, it is seen as a personal attack on you personally.

For the record;

Shelden Williams is averaging over 24 minutes per game, 7 ppg, 3.5 rpg (tot. of 7) Shooting 25%

Patrick O'Bryant averaged 22.6 mpg 9.6 ppg 4.2 rpg (tot. of 21) shooting 45%

So no, Shelden does not have as many rebounds in 2 game as Patrict O'Braynt has in summer league play. You need to stop your lies Diesel and start making valid argument! Just some friendly advise.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

OK, lets get this right. If Shelden can't score against guys who aren't even going to play in the NBA, he is not going to make a mircale transformation in 3 months when the comp level gets multiplied by 5x. He had 7 fouls last night which is an indication that he is either out of position or not athletic enough to get into position.

To the person who asked about domination against Aldridge, so what? Aldridge will be a project further away than Marvin was last year. Let me ask you...did you see Marko Killingsworth piss in Shelden's face for 35 minutes against Indiana? That was all Shelden. Marko scored 36 points on 15-19 shooting point blank in his face. We were all commenting watching that game that Shelden looked like an unathletic slug and would not do much in the NBA. Marko muscled him all night long. Newsflash: Marko is not near what he will see in the league.

Finally, to the poster who said that we didn't have as much need for a guard and Shelden was the most ready big man...WTF? Going into the draft our guards were lue, grundy, ivey, and salim. Two of those guys don't belong in the league and the other two are hardly complete packages. We needed a scoring combo guard that could share the backcourt and also DEFEND other guards from getting into the paint. I hear all this stuff about protecting the paint with Shelden...how about preventing people from getting into your paint with a guard like Foye?

We drafted a career role player at 5 and will watch as guys that we passed up shine in the league. We are going to have to listen to crap ad nauseum about how we passed up two great guards when we had a hard need at the guard spot.

I wasn't expecting Shelden to tear up the lousy front lines in the Rocky Mountain Revue. Frankly, he isn't that type of player. But what the RMV has clearly demonstrated, whether BK homers want to acknowledge it or not, is that this kid has struggles with athleticism and the NBA front lines are made up of athletes. His shot blocking will not transfer over much either.

Two games in the RMV does not make a career. But Shelden's weaknesses are already being exposed for all to see. This is NOT how the #5 pick who is 23 and has 4 years of college under his belt is supposed to show. Its just not. And we can all wait for this to play out...in the end their will be few here who don't consider Shelden a bust. There will be several who won't admit it regardless because they idolize the GM.

Shelden Williams was a bad pick. Now. Tomorrow. In 6 months. And during the next few years. His game does not translate to the league. But our brilliant GM settled on him back in May without truly taking the draft process seriously. He thinks he is smarter than everyone else. He is obviously not...I can't wait to hear the spin come out this week. Frankly, I'm tired of these clowns telling us all to be patient with players that they shouldn't have taken in the first place.

Careful Tex, you are sounding just like Diesel did last year. We know that Diesel is going nowhere but what about you if Williams picks up his play this year and Foye and Roy turn out to be just Summer league phenoms?

Quote:

Let us be honest with ourselves, we were not going to pick any of those players anyway because we already have a lot of players at the 2 and 3.

I think a lot of GM's in our position would have taken Roy or Foye. Roy is getting a lot of time at the point and obviously Foye is playing the point.

I don't think these SL games are any big deal and I think Shelden will do well here but I also think that the pick was a mistake.

If the Hawks drafted Foye/Roy and then moved Smith to the 4 all they would need was a center.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think a lot of GM's in our position would have taken Roy or Foye. Roy is getting a lot of time at the point and obviously Foye is playing the point.

What did Foye do in the summer league that made you feel confident that he could play point guard?

Quote:

If the Hawks drafted Foye/Roy and then moved Smith to the 4 all they would need was a center.

Then what would you have as back ups to the center & power forward positions? John Edwards? Batista? Who? So how would Drafting another 2 guard solve your interior defensive problem? Or are you in the camp that believes..All you need is a defensive point guard and the hawks will begin to shut down the lane?

Quote:

All you need is a defensive point guard and the hawks will begin to shut down the lane?

If you actually watched the games last year you would know that Harrington was a horrible defender. Just getting rid of him improves the defense greatly.

Also it was opposing PGs, not PFs or Cs, that put up the biggest numbers against the Hawks.

And you seem to ignore the fact that JJ is himself a combo guard so the Hawks don't need a pure pg to play next to him. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this board but I guess you missed it.

Of course there is still the issue to Zaza's horrible defense but that would still be a problem regardless of who the Hawks drafted. However if the Hawks started the season with the 4th leading shotblocker in the league starting next to Zaza that would help cover up his mistakes.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Of course there is still the issue to Zaza's horrible defense but that would still be a problem regardless of who the Hawks drafted. However if the Hawks started the season with the 4th leading shotblocker in the league starting next to Zaza that would help cover up his mistakes.

I hope you also know that Josh Smith is a horrible defender also!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Also it was opposing PGs, not PFs or Cs, that put up the biggest numbers against the Hawks.

1 Kobe Bryant, LAL 2 42.5 38.0 14.5-27.0 53.704 2.5-7.0 .357 6.5-11.5 56.522

2 J. Richardson, GSW 2 42.5 35.0 13.5-26.0 51.923 3.0-8.5 .353 5.0-7.0 71.429

3 Ricky Davis, MIN 1 38.0 33.0 13.0-21.0 61.905 3.0-7.0 .429 4.0-4.0 100.000

4 C. Anthony, DEN 2 43.5 31.5 8.0-20.0 40.000 0.0-1.0 .000 15.5-18.5 83.784

5 S. Claxton, NOR 1 32.0 29.0 9.0-21.0 42.857 0.0-1.0 .000 11.0-13.0 84.615

6 Ray Allen, SEA 2 42.0 27.5 9.0-21.0 42.857 4.5-9.0 .500 5.0-5.0 100.000

7 Kevin Garnett, MIN 1 32.0 27.0 9.0-12.0 75.000 0.0-0.0 .000 9.0-9.0 100.000

8 Josh Howard, DAL 1 41.0 25.0 10.0-13.0 76.923 2.0-2.0 1.000 3.0-4.0 75.000

Yao Ming, HOU 1 33.0 25.0 10.0-17.0 58.824 0.0-0.0 .000 5.0-6.0 83.333

Chris Paul, NOR 1 42.0 25.0 9.0-19.0 47.368 1.0-2.0 .500 6.0-8.0 75.000

Tracy McGrady, HOU 1 34.0 25.0 7.0-16.0 43.750 0.0-2.0 .000 11.0-12.0 91.667

12 Marcus Camby, DEN 1 37.0 24.0 10.0-13.0 76.923 0.0-0.0 .000 4.0-4.0 100.000

13 Dirk Nowitzki, DAL 2 40.0 23.5 9.5-22.5 42.222 0.5-1.0 .500 4.0-4.0 100.000

14 Zach Randolph, POR 2 41.0 22.5 9.5-15.5 61.290 0.0-0.0 .000 3.5-5.5 63.636

15 R. McCants, MIN 2 37.5 21.0 9.0-14.0 64.286 2.0-4.5 .444 1.0-1.0 100.000

Carlos Boozer, UTH 1 32.0 21.0 8.0-14.0 57.143 0.0-0.0 .000 5.0-8.0 62.500

17 Mehmet Okur, UTH 2 31.0 20.5 9.0-14.5 62.069 1.0-2.5 .400 1.5-2.5 60.000

Andre Miller, DEN 2 41.0 20.5 7.5-12.5 60.000 0.0-0.0 .000 5.5-6.5 84.615

Manu Ginobili, SAS 2 29.5 20.5 8.0-13.5 59.259 0.5-1.0 .500 4.0-5.5 72.727

20 Earl Boykins, DEN 1 26.0 20.0 7.0-12.0 58.333 0.0-2.0 .000 6.0-7.0 85.714

As you can see, only 4 point guards were in the top 20 in scoring points against the hawk. So you are definitely wrong!! You need to do a little reseach before you make these incorrect statements

• Premium Member

vs. Portland Trail Blazers 24 mins 3 rebs

vs. Los Angeles Clippers 19 mins 1 rebs

vs. Cleveland Cavaliers 22 mins 4rebs

vs. Denver Nuggets 20 mins rebs 8 rebs

vs. Toronto Raptors 28 mins 5 rebs.

These are the facts, that's 5 games. 21 rebs... for somebody who is 7 foot 250 lbs..

And in the great game where OBryant doubled his rebounding high, they played a Denver team who's big man was 6'11 217 lbs (Sanchez) and GS was outrebound 39 to 30...

click

Patrick O'Bryant sucking isn't going to help Shelden Williams. At least O'Bryant has 3 YEARS to get to age 23 like the landlord. Randy Foye would have been an amazing help to this team. His on ball defense was as good as Rondo's...the two best by far in the draft. JJ and Foye...one helluva backcourt. Instead...nevermind.

The Billy Knight era needs a quick conclusion.

I agree that two summer league games is not a lot of basketball to make a draft bust judgement. I also think that Sheldon is probably struggling with unlearning reactions he would have made under Duke's system. He played so many games under that system that a lot of his reactions are reflexive. The Hawks undoubtly want him to make different reads and adjustments. This will take time to happen fluidly at game speed. This is poor comparison, but after playing for three years at my first high school I transfered to a new school for my senior year and really struggled at first with defensive reads under the new system. I just reacted under my old coaches system. Further, I was playing the same level of talent. Not saying Sheldon will be a dominant power forward in this league but give him some time to unlearn old tendancies and adjust to the new system.

Quote:

If you had read what I said about Obryant, I didn't say that SL predicts he will be a bum. I said how can a 7 footer play 30 minutes and get 2 rebounds consistently in SL?

So far, Shelden has 7 rebounds. That's probably more rebounds than Obryant had playing the whole Reebok pro S averaging over 20 mpg.

Good ole Diesel, changing his words again. Man I love this board.

Quote:

Quote:

Shelden should have fouled out after 12 minutes...I Know thos cagey and crafty Dallas summer league players are hard to stop but that's ridiculous.

Yeah. Its obvious whats going on. It was obvious at the draft. Some people just don't see it.

Dude, are you Diesel's alter-ego. You have picked up on the other Williams this year just as obsessively.

Hahahaha, I can definitely see him as a junior Diesel on this topic. Very funny.

I would be careful if I were you Fanatic. I've seen posters bring back your old posts and it wasn't always pretty. Turns out...you aren't always the expert you act like on this board.

Your right about one thing. This board is pretty funny sometimes. But your right in the middle of all of it...not above it. Your opinions are no more or less valid than mine, KB21's, or Diesel's. How about climbing down from the high horse pal?

Let's get something straight TexasPete. I have not seen one person on this board say that Foye is not going to be good or would not have helped the Hawks. We just agree with BK and Woodson that Shelden will help to fix a greater need, interior defense. You seem to be completely ignoring or just plain not understanding the fact that the Hawks mgt decided two years ago that they had too many young players and did not want to bring in a rookie point guard to run the team. They want to win now and not wait for a young PG to figure out how to run a team in the NBA. Hence, we signed Speedy Claxton. He fills that huge void we had at PG. So, now we have filled the two gaping holes on the team and the Al Harrington trade is just gravy. Maybe you can stop repeating the same freakin speech in every thread and come up with some new material. I am not a BK lover. I just like the team now and feel like Shelden will get his stuff together.

Quote:

I would be careful if I were you Fanatic. I've seen posters bring back your old posts and it wasn't always pretty. Turns out...you aren't always the expert you act like on this board.

Your right about one thing. This board is pretty funny sometimes. But your right in the middle of all of it...not above it. Your opinions are no more or less valid than mine, KB21's, or Diesel's. How about climbing down from the high horse pal?

Sure thing Diesel...I mean pete.

Fanatic, I guess its easier for you to attack posters than reasonably debate an issue. If I had your knowledge base I might do the same. Most of the stuff you post is pretty lightweight...not much substance. Its obvious you follow hoops as a secondary hobby because there is just not much to hang your hat on as far as details. I'll bet you never even played HS ball did you? You probably got cut. shocked.gif Your one of those guys who would rather be liked than dig in and have an opinion. Thats OK. But now I know who I'm dealing with...your not too tough to spot.