• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Foye vs. Roy - Read and weep

jerrywest

I'm still trying to figure out what position Brandon Roy would play for the Hawks. So many people wanted him, yet the same ones bitched and moaned last year when Billy duplicated the wing positions.

Randy Foye, I can see only in the sense that he may have been able to play point guard along side Joe Johnson. Brandon Roy is a shooting guard though who might be able to play some point in spurts. He is by no means a point guard though, and while I think Randy Foye could play it alongside Joe Johnson, Randy isn't a pure point guard. It looks like the Hawks were actually looking for more of a pure point guard, which is something that I didn't see coming. The word from the draft was that they were trying to move up to get Marcus Williams as he was dropping, and then they signed Speedy Claxton.

Thanks for the link. I was always a Branden Roy fan. What's more impressive was that he was playing point in the summer league - they wanted to see if they could pair him up with Martel Webster. He was shooting over 67% from the 3pt line ! (and 69% for FTs ?!?) So much for the concerns about his shooting. Probably he'll rotate between 1 and 2 - so Portland will have Webster, Roy, and Jack as a rotation. (For the Foye fans, he looked great too.) I was hoping for a Roy, JJ, Marvin, Smoove lineup - but we'll just have to wait and see how this turns out. Might be Shelden will blow us away too.

Too bad neither Roy or Foye were 6'8".

There is no getting around the fact that Shelden was not the BPA at 5. The justification for picking him is that he filled a need but BK justified picking Marvin last year because he was supposed to be the BPA.

The thing that really annoys me is that word of the promise was out before the combine, when Sheldens short standing reach came out. Roy and Foye also showed a lot of athleticism at the combine.

Amen, Sincty. That is exactly correct...with the exception of the Knicks. I like BK over Isaiah.

People here think its some kind of magic trick to accumulate players like are on the Hawks. Hint: When you get the draft picks as high as we do the key is NOT getting a decent and serviceable player. The key is getting the best player, getting the players that make a huge difference.

We will all hear for the next 5 years how we blew the draft by watching Foye and Roy pass us by. The national media is real good at doing that. And many of these same Shelden lovers will be pissed in short order and develop amnesia about how they really felt about the draft. There will be a ton of Foye/Roy fans who swore that they wanted them. LOL...The fact is that we all better learn to love Shelden because we own him. For better or worse he is now a Hawk.

• Moderators

Quote:

The fact is that we all better learn to love Shelden because we own him. For better or worse he is now a Hawk.

Yep. Time to stop the bitching and get on with supporting the players who wear the Hawks jersey. If Shelden doesn't work out then it will fall on BK's head but it is time to give him a chance to win us over and that means at least giving him an entire season.

I also don't understand some people's arguments. They say don't take Foye or Roy because we have Joe Johnson but isn't it true that we used two first round picks to take Josh Smith and Marvin Williams, not to mention Josh Childress? So basically by taking Sheldon Williams are we admitting that taking one of those two players was a mistake? We can't start all 3 so obviously one of these picks was a huge blunder unless one is used in a trade to upgrade elsewhere.

That was a huge concern of mine as well. By taking SW I put the dots together and then decided that maybe Smoove had decided that he wanted to spend some time at the 3. But wait, Marvin was drafted at #2 and we all know he is a certain 3. But wait, we had just taken Josh Childress at #6 in the lottery to play...3. It just seems like we aren't putting together a team as much as we are collecting players. Yes, we needed defense on the interior but we needed a strong guard who could defend the paint and score as well. Call me crazy but I see three players who are very valuable who all prefer the same position. And I'm certain that we are going to see some "experimentation" with some of these guys to get them some PT.

Personally, I think Chill should be packaged with AL to eradicate the logjam and maybe get us some players or picks that help us to start building a cohesive unit.

Quote:

I also don't understand some people's arguments. They say don't take Foye or Roy because we have Joe Johnson but isn't it true that we used two first round picks to take Josh Smith and Marvin Williams, not to mention Josh Childress? So basically by taking Sheldon Williams are we admitting that taking one of those two players was a mistake? We can't start all 3 so obviously one of these picks was a huge blunder unless one is used in a trade to upgrade elsewhere.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. We picked Shelden Williams to shore up our defensive frontcourt. No one with half a brain projected Shelden to be more than a decent defensive-oriented role player. On this team he will be a rebounder defender-part time scorer ala Cliff Livingston of old.

We didn't get Roy or Foye because they are not point guards. Speedy Claxton is a pointguard. We also wanted a veteran at the point...Speedy is a veteran.

Why don't you closet Laker fans go troll someone elses thread. Texas Pete, you haven't articulated a cogent point of view since you been on here.

Johnny B., coming from you thats a complement. I have no desire to be on your wavelength. You are fairly far out there fella...I can at least articulate a thought. I leave a lot of your posts going...Huh???

You are probably the last person who should post about articulation. Now, go trot back out to left field where you belong.

I have every right to post my opinion if I want and that doesn't make me a closet Laker fan because I hate the Sheldon Williams draft pick and express my opinion about it.

I could have also sworn that JJ was brought in here to play alot of point. Foye and Roy could of helped share some of those duties as they do have ball handling skills. SO HOW IS MY POST STUPID? Think before you say something assinine.