flava

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

I know it's just Summer league, but that's 3 very weak games against sorry competiton.

Another way to think about it...

I know it's 3 very weak games against sorry competition, but it's just Summer league. wink.gif

Our big men are really playing terrible. Solomon, Edwards, Sheldon are all struggling. How the heck does Marvin get to the line so much? My goodness!! I think BK is waiting to see how our big guys do before making a move. I guarantee we go into the season with a big man who can play, whether it is Foster, Murphy or Magloire, we won't enter the season without a veteran big man to back up(or start over) Zaza.

If people aren't concerned now they are fooling themselves.

1. We took this 23 year old 4-year college player because he was READY.

2. He isn't ready.

3. His defense and rebounding (his strengths) have terrible against lousy comp.

4. His offense is horrific. He has 3 FG's in 3 games and is now a collective 3-16 from the floor. Maybe Billy should have taken a look at a few more players in the draft process.

This isn't even poor play. This kid isn't even competing.

Alright, go ahead and shoot the messenger. grin.gif

After these summer league BOX SCORES I completely agree. Shelden is the biggest bust ever, I mean did you see how he played? I don't mean that literally, I really mean did you see the box scores because thats the only way to tell if someone is playing well or not.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If people aren't concerned now they are fooling themselves.

1. We took this 23 year old 4-year college player because he was READY.

2. He isn't ready.

3. His defense and rebounding (his strengths) have terrible against lousy comp.

4. His offense is horrific. He has 3 FG's in 3 games and is now a collective 3-16 from the floor. Maybe Billy should have taken a look at a few more players in the draft process.

This isn't even poor play. This kid isn't even competing.

Alright, go ahead and shoot the messenger.
grin.gif

*LAUGHING*... some of you show no sense of reason. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Being "ready" never was "ready" by this definition you want to apply, but it was always "ready" compared to the rest of the draft class... and as a senior, it's hard to argue that point.

Again, people that other people actually pay six figures based on their history in the game (read: smarter than you) considered Shelden the "safe" pick because he has such a limited ceiling (as you'd certainly attest), and such a limited floor (as you'd evidently argue just gave way into the center of the earth)... I'd laugh just as hard if he were having a bang-up summer league and some were touting him as a potential all-star.

As I think I've seen Diesel write, the same truth about Marvin is the same truth about Shelden... neither are going to become big stars or big busts based on their summer league play.

Burns' column should have at least peppered you hypercritics with some basic wisdom as to why SL ought to be taken with a grain of salt. But, I guess for your own reasons (--my suspicion is the strong desire in many of us males to be publicly recognized as NBA Nostradmases, and get the associated ego kick--) Burns' column isn't useful to you.

crazy.gif Foolish.

Quote:

These idiots just have a strong desire to criticize everything Billy Knight does.

And you are the idiot that tries to defend everything he does.

Well, I wouldn't call all of us idiots, but I didn't like BK's picks this year at all. I support BK. I love the talent he's assembled, but he shouldn't have added Shelden to the mix at number 5. Call me what you will, I try to stay neutral because a computer won't make you a tough guy, but in this instance, I still say Foye/Roy would have been the better pick. It's an opinion just like yours. I'll refrain from computer tough-guy talk for now.

JerryMoron, you need to do a little better than 5 boards and 2 blocks to overcome that lousy line. He also had 4 TO's. Marvin's summer wasn't stellar but he was 19. Shelden has been an unmitigated disaster and he is an old rookie at 23.

He has more FOULS than BOARDS in 3 games.

He has shot 18% from the floor.

He has managed 3 FG's in 3 games despite playing a lot of minutes.

Were not going to settle the Shelden issue with some people until the end of next season. But this kid has looked significantly worse than ANY TOP 25 player in the draft. Go look it up genius. Now, you can stick your head as far up your arzzz as you want...having the very worst numbers of EVERY 1st round pick that has played is not what I expected. And it should not be what any Hawk fan expected from a top 5 player in the draft.

Can Shelden turn it around? How in the hell do I know? But his performance didn't need to be great to keep people happy. But right now he isn't competing on the floor nearly to the level that is expected. He isn't ready. Go back to sleep.

Sturt, your such a voice of reason. The svengali of HS...

I read on this board, ad nauseum, about how this kid was a 14 and 10 guy this year. How he would start right out of the chute. Some guys were 13 and 8 with 2 blocks...on and on. Hell, I started to get optimistic. Some here had legit concerns about his lack of athleticism but the BK believers always shoot everyone down. KB21 was talking about what a sensible pick he was...BK made the pick...must be sensible.

Shelden has been far worse than even I imagined. BK better pull off a coupe in this deal with Al because we just drafted a PF but we still don't have one. I could have stomached this deal better if we had just worked out Shelden out. Not to mention the top 6 players in the draft.