• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stein also thinks we might end up with Magloire

NickJYD

Marc Stein: One last Hawks note: It wouldn't surprise me if this is where Magloire winds up because Atlanta has been interested in him from the start of free agency.

If we get Harrison, we don't need Mags as badly, but without DH, we could really use another center to help Zaza. I'm not sure I can handle another year of watching John Edwards play somewhat meaningful minutes. I also just purchased new speakers and I'm not sure they can handle the loudness of Este's fouls. If we come out of this summer with another big center (and perhaps a 1st round pick) that isnt worthless, I'll be happy.

The positive to getting Magloire would be the fact that he is in a contract year. He might actually decide to play up to his potential to get the contract he wants from Toronto or whomever.

The negative to getting Magloire is that he has a history of a poor work ethic, and this reared its head in Milwaukee this past season. That was arguably Magloire's worst season, and he's put together back to back poor seasons for what his standards should be. Over the past two seasons, Magloire has posted a 12.8 and 11.2 PER, this is after posting a 17.41 PER in the 2003-2004 season. The past two seasons, his shooting percentage and true shooting percentage have bottomed out.

If he had a longer contract, this is a guy I would put the buyer beware label on. For a one year trial though, I think it would be worth a shot.

However, when you hear Billy, Mike, and Michael Gearon Jr. talk about Zaza on the radio, there appears to be no desire to put him on the bench. Based on the last two years though, the only thing that Magloire is markedly better than Zaza at is rebounding and shot blocking. Zaza did post a 15.03 PER to Jamaal's 11.2 PER this past season.

• Premium Member

Quote:

However, when you hear Billy, Mike, and Michael Gearon Jr. talk about Zaza on the radio, there appears to be no desire to put him on the bench.

Which is why I think a veteran backup would be a better fit (e.g., Kelvin Cato, Scot Pollard).

Quote:

The positive to getting Magloire would be the fact that he is in a contract year. He might actually decide to play up to his potential to get the contract he wants from Toronto or whomever.

Now that is a damn good point. It's almost never a bad idea to trade for a guy entering his free agency year, even if he's under-performed up to that point in his career (ala Eric Dampier in his walk year). If nothing else, those players will usually be extra, extra motivated to work hard and play well in anticipation of a big payday.

So I don't see how we'd lose by adding him, even if we don't plan on re-signing him. Assuming he plays well and really boosts up his value, we could either deal him at the trade deadline or hang onto him and do an SNT next summer.

Quote:

Marc Stein: One last Hawks note: It wouldn't surprise me if this is where Magloire winds up because Atlanta has been interested in him from the start of free agency.

If we get Harrison, we don't need Mags as badly, but without DH, we could really use another center to help Zaza. I'm not sure I can handle another year of watching John Edwards play somewhat meaningful minutes. I also just purchased new speakers and I'm not sure they can handle the loudness of Este's fouls. If we come out of this summer with another big center (and perhaps a 1st round pick) that isnt worthless, I'll be happy.

I don't know why people want Harrison... He appears to be a mediocre rebounding big man. Heck, I'd rather have a decent vet than him.

• Premium Member

Magloire is a top 15 center in the NBA and would address the glaring need we still have left on our roster. I wouldn't mind trading for him. The only problem I have with Magloire is that his last two seasons he has declined, gotten more out of shape and the questions of his work ethic and intensity that were out there when he was at Kentucky still remain.

I also don't know if he'd want to resign in Atlanta. The good thing is that having him for a year would give us more than enough of an idea to decide to resign him or S&T him elsewhere since we would have his Bird rights in a trade.

Personally I have an eye towards the 2007 free agency where if we are lucky we can bring in guys like Hinrich or Ridnour at point and Chris Kaman.

I am surprised that Mags numbers are barely 10 and 10. You would have to think that if we were able to get him he would improve on those numbers and increase the chance he would resign. It's pretty apparent that he hasn't felt like he fit in over the past couple of years. How much of that is his issue remains to be seen. But if he could come in and gel with the young guys it might provide an opportunity to remain here. And he would be worth paying for because it takes a legitimage big to make the playoffs.