• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou's latest blog about Al and JJ...

flava

Bet on J.J. making U.S. team

By Sekou Smith | Monday, July 24, 2006, 03:55 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

It’s mind boggling to me that we’re entering the final week of July and there’s still no deal done on this Al Harrington sign-and-trade. But here we are, watching and waiting for the agreement to be completed.

As I discussed here last week, Indiana is the destination. But the details are still being worked out. I saw Hawks GM Billy Knight several times over the course of the weekend here in Las Vegas and asked what the hold up was and when he felt like something would be done. He told me that talks were ongoing and that when something was finalized, and only then, would he be ready to discuss it.

So, as of Monday afternoon, the deal has not been completed. When it is, the details will be available for you as soon as I can get them typed and posted on ajc.com.

In case you hadn’t heard already, Joe Johnson has turned heads in a major way during the U.S. national team training camp. He’s in some ridiculously great shape (he joked that he’s had months to work on his body since the Hawks’ season ended so long ago) and he’s shooting the ball as well as ever.

In talking to several people who are allowed in the gym for the entire practice session (the media is only allowed to watch the last 45 minutes or so of the workout), they’ve raved about Joe’s ability to play basically all over the floor.

One guy I like and respect said that Joe’s this team’s version of Ray Allen. And he said Allen, and not some of the other recent Team USA stars, was the U.S. player feared most by opposing international teams because of his deadly shooting ability and ability to play within the flow of the international game. He thinks Joe is this team’s Ray Allen. I thought that was an interesting comparison and one that seems to have plenty of merit.

And it’s no secret that Coach K and Jerry Colangelo are smitten with not only Joe’s game but his demeanor, professionalism and tireless work ethic (read about it in Tuesday’s story on JJ).

There’s no way he doesn’t make Wednesday’s trim to 15 players on the roster and I’m going to predict now that he’ll be among the 12 players that make the final roster for next month’s World Championships in Japan.

Permalink | Comments (17) | Post your comment |

sounds like BK blew Sekou off like he does all of the other press. don't blame BK for waiting - he has nothing to lose by folding his cards - hold out until the deal sweetens or until a third team comes to the forefront - Al is a nice guy but business is business.

as for the success (or lack thereof) of this offseason, consider:

1. we needed a PG - we offered the best candidate out there the most money out there (Cassell) - when he passed, we signed the next best thing at a reasonable contract - need addressed

2. we need front court defense- we drafted a player with the best track record of front court defense (it may have been a little of a reach, but we took the guy that would address the most immediate need) - we are actively shopping a free agent of ours in a SNT to obtain an athletic big (plus possibly more) - incomplete results to assess whether the need is fully met, but it is partially met

i think the BK bashing on the board is a bit excessive. so BK doesn't hit a home run on every transaction (sign cassell, SNT for magloire, draft foye). he has hit enough (JJ, Zaza, MW) to be batting .500....

flava

Guest Walter

Quote:

so BK doesn't hit a home run on every transaction (sign cassell, SNT for magloire, draft foye). he has hit enough (JJ, Zaza, MW) to be batting .500....

You see JJ and MW as home runs? What is Paul then? And while I agree about the JJ deal being necessary, I'm not too sure how good it will be until after we give up our pick in a deep draft next year.

Using the baseball analogy, I would call the SW drafting episode giving away our signs and hitting a sacrifice fly with a man on first.

W

to dismiss marvin as a pop-fly, a single or even a double would be a mistake. chris paul is good. marvin williams may, very easily, be sensational. maybe the home run category was a stretch, but drafting williams over paul certainly was not a momentary lapse of reason - marvin has all the tools to be a star - give the 19 year old some time...

flava

Getting Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams were definitely home runs. You simply don't get the opportunity to get players that have the overall talent level of Marvin Williams at that size very often. When that opportunity presents itself, you capitalize on it. Billy did that.

Getting Joe Johnson also is an opportunity that cannot be just thrown aside. He's the ultimate team player in a selfish league, and he has the ability to take over games.

Getting Josh Smith with the 17th pick was a home run as well, because in hindsight, when you take into account his current production and upside, Josh is arguably the 2nd best player that was drafted in that draft behind only Dwight Howard. Speaking of that, I'm still amazed at the talent level of that senior class of 2004. To have Dwight Howard, Marvin Williams, and Josh Smith in the same class is extraordinary. When you also consider that Shaun Livingston, Al Jefferson, and Rudy Gay were also part of that class, it just puts it off the charts.

Guest Walter

But if MW is a homerun, then again what is Chris Paul.

I would insist MW's is still batting with 1 ball and 1 strike, the strike being a foul ball directly behind him indicating he's close to timing the pitch, but Paul is already a homerun, no question.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

Getting Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams were definitely home runs.

I don't understand how a person who does produce and a person who possibly can are both at a home run level. It dilutes what JJ has done and does to insist MW is his equal.

I'd say JS and MW are both still at bat with JS just missing a foul ball homerun and having a 2 ball, 1 strike count and MW with a 1 ball, 1 strike count and fouling the ball stright back showing he has the proper timing, but perhaps not the power for a homerun.

KB, what is SW amongst the baseball analogies? Paul? Roy or Foye?

W

• Admin

can't they both be homeruns?

You're in such a hurry to label Marvin a failure and anoint Chris Paul the second coming that you can't tell [censored] from shinola. Just because Paul had a great rookie season it doesn't mean he'll be great 3-4 years from now and his rookie season is no more a barometer for how good he WILL be than it was for Marvin.

As those who rode Jamaal Tinsley's nuts in his rookie season found out, the shine can wear off quickly and for a variety of reasons.

Quote:

Could it be that BK is waiting on sealing another deal with another team, this affecting the Pacers deal and what he wants from Indiana?

If this is a done deal, I hate to see what the alternative would be.

We have no evidence that ther is another piece to the deal, but it would make sense. When BK did the ZaZa deal it came out of left field and the same was true for JJ. Totally unexpected. Maybe the same will be true this time.

• Premium Member

Quote:

but Paul is already a homerun, no question.

What constitutes a homerun no question? Is it winning ROY? Or have I missed something that Paul has done that was so extrodinary? Now when Magic johnson won championships in his Rookie Seasons, then they were home runs. Bird team goes from 20 something wins to 60 win his rookie season is a no question homerun. Even when Jordan led the league in scoring shooting 51% his rookie season then that was a no question homerun. Or Olajuwon averaging 20/13 2.5ppg shooting 53% as a rookie that is no question homerun. Chris Paul averaging 16ppg & 7.8apg shooting 43% is good but far from no question homerun!

Quote:

Quote:

but Paul is already a homerun, no question.

What constitutes a homerun no question? Is it winning ROY? Or have I missed something that Paul has done that was so extrodinary? Now when Magic johnson won championships in his Rookie Seasons, then they were home runs. Bird team goes from 20 something wins to 60 win his rookie season is a no question homerun. Even when Jordan led the league in scoring shooting 51% his rookie season then that was a no question homerun. Or Olajuwon averaging 20/13 2.5ppg shooting 53% as a rookie that is no question homerun. Chris Paul averaging 16ppg & 7.8apg shooting 43% is good but far from no question homerun!

Hmm.. CP is a home run. The Magic and Bird things you've mentioned.. those are more like grand slams!

Guest Walter

Quote:

Hmm.. CP is a home run. The Magic and Bird things you've mentioned.. those are more like grand slams!

Well said. Regardless, if the ROY is a homerun (logical) then MW is definately not one yet and remains at the plate. I believe JS is still at the plate hitting them long but just foul. We'll see what number of extra bases he manages in the next two years.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

...but you let KB slide on equally comparing JJ and MW as both home runs.

Interesting. Selective nit-picking. Wonder why.

W

True! I admit, I don't want to take away people's enthusiasm for the team. Marvin obviously didn't remotely resemble a homerun in his 1st year. We will have to wait a couple of year to see how these players turn out before we pass judgement.

• Premium Member

Quote:

True! I admit, I don't want to take away people's enthusiasm for the team. Marvin obviously didn't remotely resemble a homerun in his 1st year. We will have to wait a couple of year to see how these players turn out before we pass judgement.

That's past homerism.

That's some boys club stuff. I think that's the problem that some have here. They don't respect the truth. They only respect what their imagination can conjure up. Marvin is not in Chris Paul's League and probably never will be. PERIOD. That's the truth. Your mind may conjure up something like Marvin being the next KG or Marvin being the next Tmac. Come on back to reality. Marvin's first year was weak for a #2 overall. He played a lot of minutes compared to some rookies. His age is not that big of a factor especially considering that JSmoove was as young with no college experience and did better in his rookie campaign.

The only thing the homers have is that they have hope. They refuse to call it hope and insist on it being reality.. BUT IT'S STILL HOPE.

Quote:

Quote:

Well said. Regardless, if the ROY is a homerun (logical) then MW is definately not one yet and remains at the plate. I believe JS is still at the plate hitting them long but just foul. We'll see what number of extra bases he manages in the next two years.

W

Hm, I think Smoove is a solid single at this point.. but given where he was drafted, it's like getting a clutch single from a guy like Belliard. Marvin is indeed still at the plate. He's got a pretty swing, and he's been fouling off pitches, but he hasn't put it in play yet.

I'll refrain from beating a dead horse with the summer league MVP, and talk about C3p0. I can think of two other PGs who had fantastic rookie seasons, and went on to be nothing more than good/solid players.

We have Andre Miller and Damon Stoudamire. I think it's clear that Chris Paul will be good, but will he be Andre Miller good or Isaiah Thomas good?

I really don't understand the JJ complaints. Here's a guy that's a threat for a triple double every night, and has shown to be one of the best players on Team USA thus far. People want to complain about that? Well, what can I tell you.