Please some explain something to me!

Peoriabird

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

you'll be able to sure, BUT WILL YOU????
wink.gif

I can only point to Exodus combine stats that support that Marvin is Smooths equal in the athleticsm department. I'm not dogging on smooth at all. I'm just saying that just because smooth can and often does jump very high and dunk the ball, he's not a better athlete because of it.

I'll watch most... But then again, the season hasn't started.

Stats. I read the stats, but I think I'm going to go with my eyes to let me decide. If they both turn out well, it doesn't truly matter though.

Guest Walter

Not one stat plays the majority of the below BS out. Just LAME!!!

You act like it's objective, even putting up collumns with "stats" like "FG shooting". Then you insist upon post your opinion about them in a veiled manor. Empirical evidence be d@mned! Shameful.

W

Quote:

Why is Smoove considered a better basketball player than Marvin? Other than block shots, what does Smoove do better than Marvin?

FG Shooting; Marvin > Smoove

FT Shooting; Marvin > Smoove

Scoring; Marvin > Smoove

Ball Handling; Marvin > Smoove

Finisher in half court; Marvin > Smoove

Finisher on the break; Marvin = Smoove

Post up player; Marvin > Smoove

Inside scorer; Marvin > Smoove

Outside Shooter; Marvin > Smoove

Slasher; Marvin = Smoove

Rebounding; Marvin = Smoove

Assist; Marvin = Smoove

Block Shots; Smoove > Marvin

Defense; Marvin = Smoove

Coachability; Marvin > Smoove

Team player; Marvin > Smoove

There are a lot of people on this board that think that Smoove is a better Small Forward than Marvin and for the life of me I can't figure out why! Please help me out. If you saw any of the SL games then you would know that Marvin is a polished scorer with polished moves outside and around the basket. And is a superve ball handler! Smoove is anything but a ball handler with a polished offensive game.

Quote:

you'll be able to sure, BUT WILL YOU????
wink.gif

I can only point to Exodus combine stats that support that Marvin is Smooths equal in the athleticsm department. I'm not dogging on smooth at all. I'm just saying that just because smooth can and often does jump very high and dunk the ball, he's not a better athlete because of it.

Another part of my point is that Smoove might be a player that puts his athletic ability to more use. If Marvin doesn't put his athletic ability to use, then it doesn't truly matter if he is just as athletic or not?

Kobe Bryant has the skills to be as good as the mid-late 90's MJ... But just because he has the skills to be that good doesn't mean he really is.

If Marvin is equal to Smoove in terms of athletic ability I'd expect to actually see it in the games.

If you had seen the games late last year you would have seen Marvin blowing past guys off the dribble regularly. He is quicker than you think and he can drive left and finish well with his left also.

Marvin also does a surprisingly good job on defense cutting off guys who are trying to drive.

His athleticism won't show up in highlights like Smith's does but it certainly shows up on the floor.

I think Marvin and Smoove are two different types of players. Marvin is the kind of player you could build an offense around, his skills are such that he should be able to generate offense regardless of the situation. Smoove's game is more complimentary in nature, he doesn't have the half court offense skills necessary to be the main cog. The conflict is going to be because Smoove doesn't want to be a PF, and Marvin has been anointed by the club as the SF. This situation is going to get interesting this coming season.

Quote:

I think Marvin and Smoove are two different types of players. Marvin is the kind of player you could build an offense around, his skills are such that he should be able offense regardless of the situation. Smoove's game is more complimentary in nature, he doesn't have the half court offense skills necessary to be the main cog. The conflict is going to be because Smoove doesn't want to be a PF, and Marvin has been anointed by the club as the SF. This situation is going to get interesting this coming season.

Well Marvin will be a 6th man at the start of the season. It will start to get interesting when both are in the starting lineup down the road. Smoove should obviously settle for PF since he is the better post presence on D and because Marvin has the better handles and shooting stroke. Together they will compliment JJ nicely.

Marvin has CLEARLY been working on his game and he is clearly better than he was at the end of the season. Hearing Marvin say that he wanted to go to the summer league and dominate the week before he actually went out there and did it suggests to me that he is primed to take a significant step in his development.

Summer league is by no means an end all be all but it does allow the guys to get their competitive juices flowing and depending on what Smoove has been doing, Marvin may have made up some serious ground. At any rate, Marvin should have a lot of confidence going into training camp. I hope Smoove has been working hard because I think the competition is going to make them both a LOT better.

Quote:

If you had seen the games late last year you would have seen Marvin blowing past guys off the dribble regularly. He is quicker than you think and he can drive left and finish well with his left also.

Marvin also does a surprisingly good job on defense cutting off guys who are trying to drive.

His athleticism won't show up in highlights like Smith's does but it certainly shows up on the floor.

Oh, I seen enough in the summer league game that he can blow past alot of guys. I even brought that up in the summer league thread... I figured that's probably the main reason someone would think of him possibly playing PF fulltime.

I guess I was talking more about the defensive end. I'm not a huge fan of blocks, but I'd think that if he was Smooves equal in terms of athletic ability, that his blocks would be alittle higher.

Quote:

Busboy,

Marvin isn't the 6th man next season. Sorry, pal, your draft pick is going to be watching Marvin most of the year. Childress is your first guy off the bench.

This one is not even close.

And how do you figure Marvin will be starting since

A)Josh Smith is our starting SF

and

B) We see Marvin as a pure SF?

Josh Smith will eventually have to play PF so Marvin can play alongside him but that's not going to happen on opening day.

Trust me I can't wait till it does happen but there will be a different Williams in the starting rotation next year.

Quote:

Josh Smith will eventually have to play PF so Marvin can play alongside him but that's not going to happen on opening day.

So you refuse to accept that a third year player who excels at blocking shots, has the body of a PF, and showed late in the year that he can score in the post against NBA talent will start. But on the other hand you take it as a given that a guy of the same height / weight with a shorter reach, who couldn't get it done against summer leaguers is going to somehow be given the starting spot on a silver platter? Makes no sense.

I'm not sure who'll start, and I doubt Woody does either yet, but after summer leagues, my best bet is that we start

Speedy/Lue

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Chill

Smith/Shelden

Zaza/??

Call me crazy, but depth wise it also makes more sense than

Speedy/Lue

JJ/Salim

Smith/Marvin/Chill

Shelden/??

Zaza/??

If Shelden starts you'd almost have to play Marvin at the backup PF a lot. I think at this point in time he wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as Smith is at the PF.

I'm not sure who'll start, and I doubt Woody does either yet, but after summer leagues, my best bet is that we start

Speedy/Lue

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Chill

Smith/Shelden

Zaza/??

Yeah, people just don't want to hear that Smoove/Marvin will start, but they will.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Speedy/Lue

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Chill

Smith/Shelden

Zaza/??

[/indent]

That's the linup I'm hoping we see.

[/indent]

I would be shocked, if that is not are starting lineup at the start of the season.

It is just wishful thinking. When you look at the actions OF THE TEAM there is absolutely nothing to suggest Smith will start the season at the 4.

Granted if i had my way the Hawks would have drafted a guard and started Smith at the 4 next year but unfortunately the Hawks didn't consult me on the draft.

Quote:

Quote:

So you refuse to accept that a third year player who excels at blocking shots, has the body of a PF, and showed late in the year that he can score in the post against NBA talent will start. But on the other hand you take it as a given that a guy of the same height / weight with a shorter reach, who couldn't get it done against summer leaguers is going to somehow be given the starting spot on a silver platter? Makes no sense.

Speedy/Lue

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Chill

Smith/Shelden

Zaza/??

Call me crazy, but depth wise it also makes more sense than

Speedy/Lue

JJ/Salim

Smith/Marvin/Chill

Shelden/??

Zaza/??

If Shelden starts you'd almost have to play Marvin at the backup PF a lot. I think at this point in time he wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as Smith is at the PF.

I totally agree unless we do something desperate and give someone like Chris Wilcox a big contract.

Quote:

Read slower next time. I said that MARVIN WILLIAMS won't start. Josh Smith will start because he's our starting SMALL FORWARD. I said that Marvin won't start because we view him as a 3 and that job is already taken by JOSH SMITH. I said nothing about Josh Smith sitting on the bench because that makes no sense.

Marvin unfortunately will start the season on the bench because of Zaza taking up space in the starting rotation forcing Shelden to play PF leaving no room for Marvin.

I'm saying one day Shelden, Marvin, and Smoove will all play together but not right now. Right now one of them is bumped out the starting rotation for Zaza and that somebody is Marvin because he plays the 3 and the 3 is occupied. Get it? Got it? Good.

After his summer league performance, and his draft status, there is no way that Williams is coming off of the bench this year. Shelden has shown nothing yet which would garner him a start at PF, even by default. We'd run a 2SF lineup first, which is essentially what we have been doing for the past 3 years.