Hawks and Warriors...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

By most accounts, the Warriors are out of the running for Atlanta free agent forward Al Harrington. Given that, what options remain available? The free-agent market leaves much to be desired, and it appears several star players reported to be available -- Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Allen Iverson, Paul Pierce -- aren't going to be traded, if their respective teams' management can be believed.

Even more cause for concern is that forward Troy Murphy, the bait the Warriors are using to lure potential suitors, may not be as valuable as first thought. The Warriors couldn't parlay Murphy and the No. 9 pick to move up in the draft. He wasn't enough to get Harrington from Atlanta (though that could be more the Hawks dysfunction than a knock on Murphy).

My question is will the warriors go back to their deck and fish out some other deal?

Maybe Murphy, Biedrins, and an unconditional first 2007 for AL, Lue...

I would hate having Murphy...

But with GS's 2007 first and Biedrins.. I think I'd get over it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

At this point I'd be willing to throw in Shelden to get back Biedrins. Harrington and Shelden for Murphy, Biedrins, and a first rounder.

SOLD! Where do we get Chris Mullin to sign off on that? Bierdrins is a young stud I would love to see in a Hawks jersey.

• Premium Member

The kid is 19,20 years old and is a 6'11" big man who thrives on interior contact. He is manic on defense, rebounding and can finish around the rim. He is exactly the kind of 20-22 year old center you would kill to have on your team. The only weaknesses in his game (besides his youth) would be his horrible free throw shooting and he can't make a jump shot past 10 feet from the basket.

Still Waiting On Harrington

Authored by Payam Jahromi - 24th July, 2006 - 12:36 pm

From RealGM

Sounds like they are still interested in Al:

For weeks, the talk has been that Al Harrington is either going to the Pacers or Warriors. And for weeks, nothing has happened. I don’t know about you, but I am tired of waiting for this thing to get resolved.

I don’t know if Chris Mullin has any other plans for the off-season, or if he’s putting all his faith into acquiring Harrington.

Either way, it hasn’t been a very inspiring summer. The way Mullin talked about changes at the end of last season, it sounded as if there would be one or two big trades.

Unless you consider sending Derek Fisher for a lot of nothing a big trade, that hasn’t happened yet.

In all fairness, I’m intrigued with a couple of the players the Warriors got back from Utah, particularly Keith McLeod, who is currently one of two pure point guards on the roster. He may end up getting a lot more playing time than anyone expects.

The Fisher trade does one important thing: It creates more playing time for Monta Ellis. I don’t think anyone is complaining about that.

But the longer we wait, the more likely it seems that the entire off-season falls on what happens with Harrington. If the Warriors get Harrington, the fans have something to be excited about.

Bringing in Harrington would give the Warriors more athleticism and toughness at the small forward position. It also puts Mike Dunleavy on the bench, somewhere most Warriors fans would like to see him.

But let’s be realistic here. We’re talking about Al Harrington, not Michael Jordan. At best he would be the third-best player on the team, and he could come at a price over $10+ million a year.

But what if they don’t get Harrington? Then what? Then all these “changes” that Mullin was talking about is one minor Fisher trade?

At this point, the Harrington situation will go one of three ways, and two of them are bad for the Warriors:

1) They make a good trade for Harrington (eg. Troy Murphy) and sign him to a decent contract.

2) They get Harrington but give up too much talent (like Ellis, Ike Diogu or Andris Biedrins). Or they just give him too much money (we’re talking about Mullin, the same guy who gave Dunleavy $9 million a year).

3) They don’t get Harrington at all.

Only #1 looks good for the Warriors. But something tells me that #3 is the most likely, with #2 being second.

Maybe I’m being pessimistic.

Or maybe I’m just being a Warriors fan.

Quote:

Hell no i wouldnt toss in Shelden in that deal.. its stupid.. Give this guy a chance... i give GS Harrington Lue Edward..

Honestly I can't wait till the man plays because I'm confident that several dishes of crow will be served up on HS and everywhere else around the city of Atlanta.

This is absolutely horrible. Please tell me you are joking here.

1) Biedrins has done jack in 2 yrs in the league. I'd like to have him, but it's only for his upside. He hasn't shown anything on the floor yet.

2) Shelden Williams has yet to play an NBA game. We just used the #5 pick on him. Now you want to not only trade him but throw him into a deal we are getting the worst of to begin with?

3) Murphy is a player not too different from Harrington. His stats are decent, but he's a liability in many ways, not the least of which is his MASSIVE CONTRACT. Throwing in a 1st round pick doesn't excite me too much.

Harrington for Murphy/1st/Biedrins begins to sound decent except for the massive contract we're taking back. I'd consider it because of Biedrins and the 1st, but you have to be sick to jump all over this and throw Shelden in like it's a coup.

• Premium Member

Quote:

AND GS drafted a center in the lottery. That tells me that Mr. Biedrins might have potential but even GS is FAR from convinced that he will ever amount to anything.

Its Golden State. How many young players did they give up on that turned out be good?