• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bust Rule 101, Shelden qualifies

Final_quest

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Coach K didn't do the same thing for Corey Maggette when he went pro. He gave Elton Brand his blessing to declare early, but he told Corey and the NBA people that called him about Corey that he wasn't ready.

I don't see Coach K talking up his players just to get them a contract, and I call BS on this whole "I talked to a coach in the Big 12" crap.

Considering that since 1999, Coach K's players have had a lot of success in the NBA, I would take Coach K's word.

Quote:

There are parts of his game we haven't seen alright. Have you seen the chapter where his behind is planted on the pine next to Grundy? Thats what happens to guys who foul every 2-3 minutes.

You guys complain about foul trouble and wanted that Harrison kid out of Indiana? A lot of those weak foul calls in college don't translate to the NBA ESPECIALLY in the post where they let the game be physical.

Quote:

15-18 foot J's consistently. If he can already, that is great but even if he can't yet, there is no reason he won't be able to in the future. His shooting mechanics look fine to me.

Yeah he may not be an Elton Brand on the mid-range jumper but like you said, to suggest he can't improve is silly because there isn't any flaw in the way he shoots. And although he may never be an offensive juggernaut, we won't need him to be one. If he can score double figures while being a presence on interior D that will be all we need from him.

I personally say 2-3 years from now he could be Carlos Boozer on offense, Elton Brand on D. There is nothing in his game that suggests this isn't a possibility especially since he was better in college than both players at those respective parts of the game.

Sheldens J is fine. I watched a lot of Duke games this year and while he didn't shoot it often he looked good when he did. He also has a good first step for a guy his size.

I have to wonder about his measurements though. They don't make sense. He measured only 1" shorter than Okafor and they have the exact same wingspan. Yet somehow Sheldens standing reach was only 8'8" and Okafors was 9'2.5". That doesn't add up.

Are Shelden's shoulders really that much wider than Okafor's? And how did Shelden block so many shots with such a short reach and only a 33" vertical?

Quote:

Sheldens J is fine. I watched a lot of Duke games this year and while he didn't shoot it often he looked good when he did. He also has a good first step for a guy his size.

I have to wonder about his measurements though. They don't make sense. He measured only 1" shorter than Okafor and they have the exact same wingspan. Yet somehow Sheldens standing reach was only 8'8" and Okafors was 9'2.5". That doesn't add up.

Are Shelden's shoulders really that much wider than Okafor's? And how did Shelden block so many shots with such a short reach and only a 33" vertical?

I laughed when DraftExpress had nothing positive to say about the guy in the SL. They even downplayed his blocked shots saying "it looks like he blocked shots by luck more than anything." That assessment couldn't be any further from the truth. Shelden Williams has great timing on blocked shots. He knows when to go for the block and when not to. That's something an elite shot blocker Josh Smith is still trying to figure out.

If you watch that SL game that was posted, you could see the quick burst of Shelden Williams on that first step. HE just got caught overthinking a couple of times or thinking too slow leading to a help defender taking the ball away from him. The game will slow down for him and he will start working those big men with those signature up and under moves.

I have a friend who sits on the bench for Texas Tech. I was around the IU basketball program for awhile including being a ball boy for the 1976 undefeated IU team with Knight's oldest son who was never an athlete and manages Knights cash. I used to know Knight and have played golf with him several times in the 90's. He didn't like Coach K for awhile but has since reconciled with him. He felt that K didn't remember his roots and got full of himself. Plus, the 1994 Final 4 game ripped him up as Bobby Hurley and company got EVERY call and won. Knight had his assistants video tape every bad call and sent it to the NCAA and Coach K thought it classless. After he left IU I kept in touch with a couple of his assistants...I hardly see what the big deal is. I'm not claiming to be friends with George Bush. He is a assistant basketball coach. KB, you are one strange ranger. I hope just once in my life that someone kisses my a$$ to the extent you do Billy's.

BTW, I also met Woody at a couple of IU golf tournaments in the 90's and loved him. He was a great guy and very popular with the alum and ex-players. He had a bad habit of constantly grabbing his crotch and everyone gave him crap for it. Knight loves Woody to this day. The irony for me is that as nice a guy as Woody is I just can't take him as coach. He has too many loose ends and makes too many mistakes. Back then I never pictured him as being a head coach one day.

Guest Walter

All I hear about are undrafted rookie FAs and 2nd rd picks who made it good or decent as comparisons to SW. Ben Wallace (snicker), Boozer. If SW managed there careers to date I'd be very suprised, especially Wallace, but SW a top 5 pick and people insist upon comparing him to 2nd rd values, perhaps because they don't realize that further indicates you don't waste a top 5 pick on him and think that somehow increases his value (that exceptions, not the rule are a reason to draft anyone like SW).

Anyhow...

Do I really need to respond to why a 1-dimensional 4 yr college player who is short, has a short reach, and is 1-dimensional doesn't have much upside or potential to improve?

W

You shouldn't have to explain the obvious but our supposedly mediocre GM didn't see it. SW's has issues that are usually not found attached to #5 picks but lets let fantasy trump reality in the pre-season. In the end it will be become clear. It just takes some longer. And some like BK never admit to making a bad move. Billy lives by the credo that if I made the move...it just has to good! He has the Spirit conned so I guess its all good.

Quote:

The first two better players, all three better pro prospects.

Sene was 10th?

W

Sene and Patrick O'Bryant went back to back. You're basically telling me they proved they were better than Shelden Williams.

Oh and as far as Shelden not having any upside because he can't jump out of a gym, that's ridiculous. I guess Karl Malone didn't have a lot of potential either did he?

Guest Walter

Quote:

Sene and Patrick O'Bryant went back to back. You're basically telling me they proved they were better than Shelden Williams.

Well, O'Bryant, Sene, and Reddick went back to back to back. I guess if you connect every player to the next regardless of what I say, SW wasn't top 60.

I can't be sure about Sene or O'bryant. Certainly both are projects, centers are harder to predict in some sense, and they take more time, but I believe both have more upside than SW. BTW, Sene avg. 3.8 BPG in summerleague play to lead the RMR. Pretty good for an 18 y/o with no college or US exp. who just recently started playing.

W

Quote:

I think that Diener kid outscored Foy and ROye should we trade SHelden for him?

I wanted the Hawks to draft Travis Diener when he was there. I loved him at Marquette. He was an unsung player with some skills.

• Moderators

Quote:

I found the thread in question.

click

Thanks for the link and post on the thread. I would bother to add to it but the guy's critical thinking skills are non-existant and I think everyone else recognizes that as well.

There are arguments to be made against Shelden but that "rule" was just not critically in any sense of the word.