• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What the purpose of the cash?

tmac13

• Premium Member

on another thread today will sum it up.

Hawkffan,

1. did you really want ben wallace at the contract he got?

Yes and No. Sorry for that but my reasoning is this; it is very difficult to fill the 5 position in this league. I agree with KB21 on the fact that the league is changing to more of a PF playing center than someone like Ewing, Shaq, Olajuwon, because those players really don't exist anymore. Most of your young 7-0 players want to take the Euro approach and shoot the three and play basically on the perimeter. The question I have is 1) Is there going to be a better player at the 5 over the next couple of years that we actually have a shot at or 2) are we just going to get a step gap player at the 5 and fill in with better players at the other position? We had Tree Rollins, Moses Malone, Steve Hawes and others play the post in the past. Tree was a rebounder, shot blocker and defensive force. Dan Roundfield and Nique were our scorers in the low post. So if your looking for a Center, Ben Wallace's contract might work out in two years to be a good deal.

2. based on what was been done what makes you think they are strapped for cash. they have spent to the cap in hockey and have invested a lot in jj and went out and didnt hesitate to offer cassell a contract and got speedy.

The JJ deal was a good deal for our team and we have some young players. This is the 3rd year of rebuilding and IMO we have enough young players it is time to bring in some vets to balance the roster and make this team more competitve. They have not done anything else besides Speedy and I agree with that. BUT, we need at least one veteran big to plug the defense, ZAZA is an off the bench player and will feel that role in the future. They haven't done enough IMO.

3. maybe most importantly when looking at our overall payroll you also have to realize that almost half of our team is young and on a rookie contract (smoove, marvin, chillz, salim, shelden, royal, batista, and even pachulia has a reasonable price) so you cant really look at overall payroll and say its run on the cheap. bottom line is everyone sees cap room and just wants to spend it when in fact making the wrong move can severely stunt the growth of any team especially one like ours that is filled with young talent. do you think it would have been worth it to sign dampier 2 years ago just because we had cash? because at the time a lot of people thought so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't believe in just spending cap money for nothing. I am and have been 110% against bringing in Dampier, AI, Curry, and KMart. But we should have been able to parlay Al Harrington into a veteran player that would help us now and the future, not give us cash and a future pick. As I said before we need a vet big not cash. If the Hawks do not make a move to get a Magiore or Wilcox this summer it really appears to me they are on the cheap. I am really getting tired of Bernie getting on the radio and spining the whole mess.

Bottom line if you get a good player there is a price. In the JJ deal thaey paid the price and I am good with that. When will they spend the money on a big to come in and help the team. IMO the time is now.

I sure hope the stalling thing is right...

on another subject (don't want to start a thread or drag up an old one that's a mile long) - I saw the end of the SL game that we won last night. Shelden hit another nice mid-range jumper and was boxing out nicely inside for rebounding position. I was pleased to see that.