• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best Young defensive player.

Diesel

Quote:

Not to mention Yankees/Red Socks, Tex/Tex A&M, USC/Notre Dame, Indy/Perdue, SC/Clem, and FSU/Miami..

I believe SC actually has to beat Clemson in some sport for it to be considered a rivalry...but in terms of just flat out hatred for one another? Big time, definitely should be up there among the tops in College.

Tell me, when was the last time you saw two teams just flat out brawl after a game? With one player ripping a helmet off of the opponent and then carrying it around the stadium for everyone to cheer? Now THAT'S a rivalry.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I believe SC actually has to beat Clemson in some sport for it to be considered a rivalry.

I use to say the same thing about the Red Socks and the Yanks...

However, I think SC beat Clemson in baseball this year... and I think football... if not football then Football will be a lock this year coming.

• Moderators

Quote:

If I needed a defensive player and I was down to my 5th player and there was Okafor and there was Smoove and there was GWallace...

I don't know if I'm picking Smoove.

I agree for Smooth 2005-06. I'll admit I am projecting by going with Josh Smith. However, I don't think that is completely unfair given that Wallace is about 4 years older than Smooth. For Okafor, I don't trust him to stay healthy and that reduces his impact on either end of the court in my mind.

• Moderators

Quote:

I know the Bobcats are our rivals, but Gerald Wallace is the best defensive player of that group.

Hands down.

I agree he is right now. I believe Josh Smith will be better at age 24 than Gerald Wallace is right now, though.

If the question is for today, I definitely agree with Wallace. However, I think that is a product of Wallace's greater experience more than him being a bigger impact defensive player.

Quote:

However, I think SC beat Clemson in baseball this year... and I think football... if not football then Football will be a lock this year coming.

No, Clemson went to Omaha and was ranked #1 for pretty much the entire year. SC beat them in one baseball game out of the four we played against them. We hosted all of our Regional and Super Regional games in the CWS, SC did not and lost to UGA in the Supers. We lost to Cal State Fullerton in Omaha.

And football? The last time SC beat Clemson was 2001 when we lost in Columbia. Clemson is returning just about everyone on D except Tye Hill. The only major loss on O is Whitehurst, but he has sucked the past two years and Proctor is a better fit(plus he isn't a pansy). We are going to run down SC's throats this year with James Davis and CJ Spiller (ESPN has him ranked as the 7th best RB recruit). Not to mention the game is in Death Valley this year and we just finished construction on the new West End Zone which will close off part of the stadium and only make the loudest stadium in the ACC even louder. You forget that Clemson's 4 losses last year were by a combined total of 14 points (6 to UM, 3 to BC, 4 to WF, 1 to GT).

• Premium Member

You're right, I'm not considering what Clemson is bringing back. And you're right it's probably a rivalry like the hammer and the nail. I just happen to know people who went to Clemson/SC and some people who went to Ala/Aub and some people who went to Tenn/Fla and some people who went to MSU/Mich and Mich/OSU and OK St/OKlahoma... and of all those I would say the Clemson/SC rivalry is only second to the Ala/Aub... and I was in Nashville for a Tenn/Fla game and it had nothing on Clemson/SC or Ala/Aub. During College football's rivalry week, I laugh when Ga Tech/UGA happens. It's usually a good game, but there's no rivalry. Rivalry is when your National Championship winning coach is giving his walking papers because he losses to Aub.. Ask Gene Stallings what I mean.

Spurrier has me a little worried, but not much. I believe SC still has some scholarships revoked and maybe some other sanctions from good ole Holtz. But besides that, I just don't think recruits will want to go to Columbia, its just such an ugly campus. I think the major recruits in the SC area will be more inclined to go to Clemson because of the campus, the fan support, and the education. We already have Will Korn committed to Clemson (people in the upstate know who he is, ESPN has him #2 ranked QB for '07). Of course I am biased, but it would be hard to convince anyone that SC has a nicer campus, better fans (from Anderson to Greenville it is exclusively Tiger country), or a better education.

Wow, this is a mighty big tangent, maybe we should move this part of the thread to another forum and just discuss college rivalries.

Looks like I'm not the only one surprised by the inclusion of Paul. I always thought that was the only justification one could offer for not picking him over MW. The fact that his size would be a factor on the defensive side of the ball.