• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

One Question regarding Mihm talk

CBAreject

Guest Walter

Quote:

If Mihm isn't better than what we have at center, there's not a real point in acquiring him. You could argue that we could flip him at the deadline, but that is highly speculative...

Whoever votes for Mihm in this case, please show yourself.

W

This isn't a question of whether Mihm > Bynum, mind you. I'm just thinking that there's no point in acquiring Mihm. I was interested until we signed Lo Wright. If you go acquire Mihm now, it makes no sense. It's also a slap in the face to Wright, who will see his minutes reduced to nil.

Well, Mihm is better than Bynum, but I don't think this should be a question as to whether Mihm is better than what we have. It's been pretty clear from the very beginning that the Hawks management loves Zaza Pachulia and has no desire to replace him as the starter. It doesn't really matter if the fans think he should be replaced, because it's pretty obvious that he isn't going to be replaced. Considering that he is 22 years old and finished in the top 12 in all but one category among centers this past year, I don't see any need to replace him unless we are getting a complete stud of a center.

Chris Mihm is simply a guy that will give us good depth and an average center to have in rotation with Zaza and Lo. Personaly, I don't think this deal will happen anyway, because as it is being rumored, no draft picks will be coming to the Hawks. That's what Billy is wanting in an Al Harrington deal. Draft picks.

Guest Walter

He is one of the last centers that should play along a two, Sf lineup and he is boarderline starter-worthy. If we intend to maximize our stud forwards in MW and JS we cannot rely on ZaZa to make up for their lack of height, heft, and interior post skill. If it means taking JS or MW out and putting SW in because we're getting our ass kicked inside we have lost the battle of dictating game to the other team.

Mihm is simply a waste of our time. He's not better than ZaZa and after this year we're not going to resign him because of that fact and ZaZa's lower price tag. Moreover, he isn't the type of center that we can leave manning the post all-but by himself either. His rebounding and defense are weak.

KB, don't rely on what "management" says to make your argument. Whatever happened to the BK, I mean KB I loved that would at least argue for BPA (when not caught contradicting himself.)?

W

• Premium Member

In the case of us getting NOTHING for Al or getting something for Al, Mihm is a very good something.

Mihm is BETTER than Zaza or Lo.

Mihm has offensive game from the low post to the midrange.

Mihm plays defense.

Mihm is a shot blocker.

Mihm can pass.

Lo has his roots as a Pf and he doesn't move his feet well on defense.

When you compare them head to head, you will find that Zaza does not shoot well. He has a low FG%. Mihm is shooting over 50%.

But more importantly than anything else, Mihm has a very good tradable contract.

Therefore, if we can trade Al to LAL get Mihm, filler, and a 2007 first...

I think that would be very good becuase we could also use Mihm later in trade or he can prove to us that we should keep him. Either way, having a good 7 footer should not be something that scares us off...

The other question is...

What happens if Zaza gets hurt and we don't have Mihm? Do you realize we go to a C rotation of Lo and Edwards?

Yeah but it's not Mihm or nothing. It's Mihm or a 1st rounder. I don't think Mihm would be that useful because it would mean that either he or Wright would get extremely limited minutes (prob. Wright). If we're just going to let Mihm walk in a year, I would rather have a pick. I would have preferred Mihm over a pick if we hadn't signed Wright, but apparently we're committed.

It's a good question, but I'm not sure it tells the whole story.

BK has been known to pick up players simply for their value, without much intent to build with them. He traded for Rasheed, Antione Walker, and perhaps Harrington without an intention that they would have a future with our team.

Mihm and Cook are two good trading chips, and maybe they don't need to fit in with our future apart from that.

• Premium Member

In essence, you look at Mihm the same way.

IF we traded for Mihm, and he came in and had his breakout year with us, we have hit the Jackpot. Because we can either decide to re-up him and trade Lo or we can decide to SNT him for something else.

Either way, it's much better than us getting a pick alone.

Quote:

well in some states verbal agreements are binding.

It can't be binding in this case simply because the Hawks don't have the cap space to sign Lo until the Al deal is done.

In other words the "agreement" is contingent on the Al SNT deal working out in such a way that the Hawks have the money and a NEED for Lo. Since the Hawks didn't know ahead of time how the Al deal will work out, and still don't, how could it be binding? What if the Hawks wound up taking back $10 million in salary?

Quote:

Unless the argument was that we promised that we would sign him to the deal immediately after trading Al.

And again that would be assuming the Hawks had the money to do so and assuming they didn't get a center in the SNT. That is why the Hawks were silent about Lo for so long. My guess is that they had this "agreement" in place weeks before we found out about it.

Remember that everyone thought the Indy trade was a done deal and that the Hawks would get just a pick.

If this Lakers deal goes through, which i doubt, and the Hawks get Mihm or Bynum I would certainly bet Lo won't get signed.

And if Lo got a better offer for another team you can bet he wouldn't hesitate to sign with them.