• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Breakfast with Bernie

gsuteke

Quote:

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but why does the Indy pick have to be unprotected? If they add Al to their lineup, they will be in the playoffs. Protecting the pick does not add value (in a realistic sense).

Personally, a non-lottery pick for Al is not getting adequate compensation for the young and talented Forward. However,
IF
this deal involves enough budgetary relief to make a big move in Free Angency next year, then do the deal.

Billy is getting flamed for this one if it goes down.

anybody notice how a certain someone has not weighed in on the Indy/Al deal. i guess it takes some backbone to get off the rail and stand on one side of the fence.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pacer's fans think the change of agent changed nothing except delayed BK having to agree to their position (after Tellem showed nothing else BK wanted was out there presumably).

So BK does have to answer as to why he did not trade Al last season when he could not have been worth any less than now, and ownership should have to answer as to whether their own $ requirements forced BK into accepting this crappy deal now.

At least that's how it would seem to me.

• Premium Member

I think its a sad statement when our GM can only get a 2007 first rounder (protected I'm sure) IF that for a 26 year old two position forward who went 19/7 last season. We will get ZERO help for our team and can only hope that when we add yet another rookie and have to find yet even more minutes for one that he pans out.

Quote:

So BK does have to answer as to why he did not trade Al last season when he could not have been worth any less than now, and ownership should have to answer as to whether their own $ requirements forced BK into accepting this crappy deal now.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Quote:

Quote:

Pretty much what I was thinking.

He will most likely say something like,,, they were planning on resigning Harrington, but changed thier mind after

Smoove and Marvin's 2nd half improvements.

Quote:

If Indy loses Jermaine ONeal for the year like Phoenix did Amare last year or SA did Robinson during his prime, etc. then the lottery protection becomes huge. If everyone is healthy and performs near expectations, then I agree protection isn't an issue. However, I value the pick significantly more without protection because all it takes is Indy to miss the playoffs and a lucky bounce in the lottery to turn into a franchise changing player.

Exactly! If Jermaine goes down for a 3rd of the season or more, Indy could easily miss the playoffs. Protection for a pick this year is a valid concern...

However, I value the pick significantly more without protection because all it takes is Indy to miss the playoffs and a lucky bounce in the lottery to turn into a franchise changing player.

If we got that lucky and were a position to draw for the lottery, history has shown that Stern has "helped" certain franchises get the number one pick. With all the crap going on in Atl with the owners, Stern could smile on us??????????

Guest Walter

Quote:

I think its a sad statement when our GM can only get a 2007 first rounder (protected I'm sure) IF that for a 26 year old two position forward who went 19/7 last season. We will get ZERO help for our team and can only hope that when we add yet another rookie and have to find yet even more minutes for one that he pans out.

I'd rather have let him walk 6 weeks ago, particularly if the pick is 2008 and protected. Just a lousy return if it is protected.

Will we ever get a true center capable of dominating the post? Not at this rate. I'm scared to death of watching a 2, Sf lineup with hybid Pf/C in ZaZa. We'll get toasted should we ever make the playoffs.

W

I also noticed that when he talked about depth, he mentioned everyone but Grundy and Edwards and I'm hoping that means Edwards will be going with Al. He also mentioned Solomon and said that he wouldn't have any pressure and would have time to develop. Does this mean NBDL for him?

Stats on Solomon from the web page: Pretty impressive when you think about the tallent he played against and how little talent he had around him. His high blocks (7) and rebounds (17) are impressive.

Career Highlights: Honorable Mention All-Big East selection his senior year. Three-time member of the Big East weekly honor roll. Ranks fourth all-time at South Florida in blocks. Spent his first two seasons at Daytona Beach Community College.

Senior (2005-06): Led South Florida in rebounds (285), blocks (90) and finished second in scoring (13.2 ppg). Finished second in the Big East in rebounding average (9.8) and third in blocks (3.1 bpg). Finished 12th in the conference in free throw percentage (.778). Had 13 double-doubles. Scored in double figures 21 times. Posted seven points, five blocks and set career-highs with 17 rebounds and five assists against Villanova. Had a career-high 23 points on 9-for-10 shooting against Georgetown. Totaled 12 points, 12 rebounds, three steals and tied a career-high with six blocks against Connecticut. Blocked five or more shots six times.

Quote:

I don't want to get off on the wrong foot here , but I've heard the Hawks may get a lottery protected pick in 2008 or 2009 , may not be the 2007 pick.

Rick Carlisle was on local radio Aug 9th, WNDE The Drive sports talk program and pretty much said it was a done deal.

The Hawks will receive the future #1, cash and the famous future considerations in the deal. At the time he said picks so he may be alluding to a #2 pick also. Currently the Pacers have no #2 pick next season. He said the Pacers had a couple more moves planned perhaps something gained there is part of the future considerations.

Just thought I'd relay what has been said here.

If it's a 2008 first round pick, Indy management whipped Billy like a red headed step child. If it's a 2007 pick, that's fine I guess.

Quote:

Well the question is did Indy whip BK or did Indy whip a restricted-by-ownership-financial-issues BK by leaving him with no leverage for any other type of deal than a no-salary-back deal.

In hindsight BK's biggest mistake on this deal was (as many have argued) to not trade Al last year.

mj

I agree with the person that said Billy wouldn't hang around if he wasn't allowed to do his job. ESP with all these stuff going on with the ownership and Belkin.

Quote:

I agree with the person that said Billy wouldn't hang around if he wasn't allowed to do his job. ESP with all these stuff going on with the ownership and Belkin.

I really like a lot that Billy has done, I really question some thngs as well, but I personally don't think Billy has anywhere to go. Owners probably aren't knocking down the guy's door with other jobs. Billy has one chance to keep his career going. He has to make the Hawks successful, in my opinion, before any other team has a job for him.

Quote:

I caught far from everything, but some of the comments he was making about Shelden made it sound like Shelden would have to earn a starting job.

Well I would sure hope he'd have to earn the job, and that should be the case for any and every player. No one should have it just handed to them, jobs should be earned by virtue of hard work and most importantly merit. If he shows the best stuff to warrant a starters job, then give it to him. If not, then give it to the guy who does. It's really just that simple.