• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade Duckett???

DrReality

Quote:

I know that Dunn is a good back. No doubt. And my first thought is that we should be able to carry all three. However, if we must trade one, why is it automatically Duckette. He could be the next Bus.

Because we've been waiting for Duckett to emerge for a few years now. I doubt it's ever gonna happen now, especially since we've switched offensive schemes since Reeves left town.

Quote:

...Because we've been waiting for Duckett to emerge for a few years now. I doubt it's ever gonna happen now, especially since we've switched offensive schemes since Reeves left town.

Yeah j, I agree. If we can get anything decent out of him now we may as well. That is - a piece that can help the team. I don't see Duc setting the world on fire.

Quote:

I heard Mort on the radio address this rumor with the Jets. He thought the Jets would offer a 3rd or 4th round pick for Duck? Don't think that helps us now.

Just read a blurb on ajc.com that there's several teams interested. Of them, the Jets have confirmed interest in trading for Duckett for Justin McCareins. That would help solve our 3rd receiver need. The report also mentioned that the Falcons are looking to get depth at some other positions or possibly a draft pick.

Looks like we can forget the trade with NYJ. They just swung a deal for Kevan Barlow from the 49ers. AJC was reporting that Mora had gone up to a personnel guy after the loss to GB and was pleading for depth at WR and safety. I couldn't agree more.

And as far as the run defense is concerned, I'll worry if we're still looking as bad as last year once we have 3 or 4 regular season games complete. Until then, I think we have to wait for the new guys to get used to one another on the field and they're not playing the 1st string defense much as of yet.

Quote:

The deal is done. Duckett for Lelie.

Two things amaze me about this deal.

First, McKay pulled off not one but TWO three team deals in one offseason, both involving the Broncos.

Two, this finally rights the draft error we made when we took Duckett over Lelie to begin with in 2002. Using my 20/20 hindsight, I wonder what direction we would've taken if we had drafted Lelie to begin with. That would've given us the opportunity to NOT have made the Peerless Price mistake (trading a #1 for him and signing him to that contract). And while I liked having Duckett and Dunn both coming into the fold in 2002 I started to think back then it was only a matter of time before we had to decide on one of their two styles of running.

I like the deal for the Falcons. We get a burner for cheap since Lelie is in the last year of his rookie contract like Duckett. And if anything maybe we can lock Lelie up for a few years if he looks like a good fit. I wouldn't mind having him as the 3rd receiver to go outside and sliding Jenkins into the slot as our possession guy. Whether or not Lelie likes that idea - since he was complaining about not being a #1 - is a whole other thing though, especially beyond this year.