No deal yet - Sekou

mountain_jim

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h.../0815hawks.html

No deal for Harrington -- yet

Hawks still waiting for Pacers to finalize trade

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/14/06

Al Harrington's immediate NBA future remains a mystery for at least another day.

By the end of business Monday the Hawks and Indiana Pacers still had not come to a mutual agreement on a proposed sign-and-trade deal that's been in the works for weeks.

The Hawks have already agreed to sign Harrington to a six-year, $57 million deal and then send him and third-year center John Edwards to the Pacers for a future first-round draft pick.

After a week of vacation Pacers officials made it back into the office Monday with plans to sort through the details of the proposed deal and come to a decision this week, perhaps as early as Tuesday.

"I'm hopeful that we can find resolution to it one way or another," Hawks general manager Billy Knight said by phone Monday night. "We're just waiting for them to tell us what they want to do."

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh told the Indianapolis Star Monday that he expected "some type of breakthrough this week — at least that's what I'm hoping for."

If the Hawks and Pacers don't come to an agreement Harrington and his new agent, Arn Tellem, are prepared to restart the negotiating process with more than a half dozen teams interested in Harrington, a 6-9, 245-pound, eight-year veteran who co-captained the Hawks in each of the past two seasons.

"It's at the point where it has to get done or it doesn't get done," Walsh said of the Hawks-Pacers deal. "We like Al and we think he fits in with what we're trying to do here."

The Pacers know both Harrington and Edwards well. They selected Harrington with the 25th pick in the 1998 draft. Edwards went undrafted but made the Pacers' roster as a free agent before the start of the 2004-05 season.

Quote:

No deal yet - Sekou

Well color me absolutely shocked 229031_eek2.GIF , as if this thing hadn't dragged itself out halfway to infinity already.

Hopefully it'll get done by Christmas! That'd be nice, eh? Though at this rate, I will not exactly be holding my breath on that one.

RealGM board.

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:58 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donnie Walsh was on a phone interview with RTV6 @ 6:20p today.

Interviewer: Is it pre-mature to say that the deal is in place and all you have to do is say yes?

Donnie: Yeah, that is the case. I don't think we are finished up with everything.

Interviewer: Do you still feel like you are the front runner for him?

Donnie: Well, I would like to think so, but these things are very fluid. We are dealing with them and they are dealing with us in a very serious way. I mean that they are trying to get a deal done.

Interviewer: So, you believe this is going in a very positive way.

Donnie: Yes, I do!

-end-

sounds very smug. he knows billy doesn't want any contracts back, which is what every other team but the pacers have to offer.

donnie: "come here, billy, let me bend you over and [censored]"

billy: "i want an unprotected 2007 first rounder, plus $3 million"

donnie: "i'll give you a protected 08, and a foot in the a**."

billy: "okay, a protected 07, and 3 mill."

donnie: "protected 08"

billy: "unproteced 08 then, and no cash?"

donnie: "protected 08"

billy: "fine, protected 08--but your taking john edwards! and i want a reach-around, too."

donnie: "i'll compromise. protected 08 + edwards, no reach-around, you just have to take it."

billy: "deal."

It seems that BK and his mentor are a lot alike in ways, which would make sense given that that's where BK learned alot of what he knows. But you have to wonder if Walsh is taking advantage of BK given that the teacher knows his student very well. Two of a kind butting heads and waiting to see who will blink first. I think BK is in over his head on this one and fear it could come out worse than we thought.

At this point I think it would be a good thing if the deal fell apart and we went to another plan?

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't want to sound like a fatalist here but...did anyone here actually think BK was going to make a good trade? Anyone? Has he made one trade where we got back better value than what we gave up?

The record speaks for itself! Our team is unfortunately runs by a bunch of clowns.

i think we should go another direction....i like how BK plays hardball but he's playing hardball with another hardballer. could go on forever...we should look at another team..if we have to take back salary i'm fine, as long as it's a solid player with a short contract.

• Premium Member

From someone with claims of "inside information" at PD.com:

Quote:

I do want to add one thing in to this discussion - as I understand it, I think there is still the discussion of a player vs a draft pick being exchanged in this trade from our side and I believe that is the main sticking point.

Since the "AL" part of the trade requires the full exception, the Hawks and Pacers must be debating what the Hawks want in exchange for John Edwards - either a 2nd rounder or a player.

My guess is that the Hawks are interested in Josh Powell. His contract is non-guaranteed until October 1st. It would give the Hawks one month to evaluate him.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

While no breakout rookie, Josh Powell shows great promise in a solid jumpshot and an incredible leaping ability. He is quick, can rebound effectively and block an occasional shot. His offensive game is either open jumpshots or a layup, but he will also catch the alley-oop pass for a dunk. He is also a solid defender.

Quote:

I don't want to sound like a fatalist here but...did anyone here actually think BK was going to make a good trade? Anyone? Has he made one trade where we got back better value than what we gave up?

Here are some good trades:

Sjax for Al- say what you want about what we are getting for Al, this was a lopsided trade.

SAR+Theo for expiring contracts and Josh Smith- Sped up our rebuilding efforts and got us a possible franchise player

Antoine Walker for expiring contracts and 1st round pick- How could you get anymore for Antoine Walker? Not sure what the Celtics were thinking on this one.

Jon Barry for Lue- I think we got the better of this deal. It certainly helped us in the short term.

JJ trade-?? I think the jury is still out on this one. If nothing else, it seems we got an excellent player who never tires and is in his prime.

JT and Hendu for Antoine and Delk-?? This is one where you can question if we got equal value or not. We gave up the best player in the deal, but got out of Hendu's contract.

Nazr for a 2nd rounder- a definite stinker for BK