Why the Indy Deal May Be Best for Us

Nicholasp27

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Getting a power forward who can play D in no way diminishes the need to find a center who can play D.

You're still refusing to see the bigger picture.

If you already have a serviceable center and a good defensive PF, why would you go drop a bunch of money on an average center who offers nothing on the offensive side?

The answer: you don't.

Quote:

If you already have a serviceable center and a good defensive PF, why would you go drop a bunch of money on an average center who offers nothing on the offensive side?

Because the offense isn't the Hawks problem. The interior D is. The Hawks already have plenty of scoring.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Shelden can't guard 2 positions at the same time.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Because the offense isn't the Hawks problem. The interior D is. The Hawks already have plenty of scoring.

And Shelden should help tremendously. Adding Wright and Jones will help as well. Improvements in the post by Batista and Smith will help as well.

These players will be taking minutes that were reserved for two of the worst defenders on the Hawks: Al Harrington and John Edwards.

Essentially, the Hawks improved their interior D for less money than they would have wasted on Joel P.

Quote:

And Shelden should help tremendously. Adding Wright and Jones will help as well. Improvements in the post by Batista and Smith will help as well.

Agreed. The Hawks have gone from the worst interior D in the league to average. But average won't cut it. The Hawks are still badly undersized on the front line.

The Hawks need a big man who can guard guys like JO, Howard, and Shaq, which they don't have now. They need a center who can deter drivers instead of just relying on Smith and Shelden.

And in case you didn't know this opposing teams tend to attack the weaker defenders. Put Ben Wallace next to Zaza and what will other teams do? Take Ben away from the play and attack Zaza.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Agreed. The Hawks have gone from the worst interior D in the league to average. But average won't cut it. The Hawks are still badly undersized on the front line.

I think you're right here. Zaza is nothing more than a serviceable center at this point and has defensive weaknesses. Where we disagree is in our assessment of Joel P's worth.

Speaking of, it will be interesting to see what kind of minutes he'll get in Portland with the Magloire trade...Neither he nor Jamaal can play PF effectively.

You still haven't answered the Wade/Lebron question.

And you still haven't given one example of a defensive center that can be had for the MLE or less.

Your Shelden anwser is nonsense. The Hawks got JJ who is a good defender at the 2 but that didn't stop opposing 1s from abusing our 1s.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You still haven't answered the Wade/Lebron question.

Yes I did. I said that no center available to the Hawks would be a deterrent to LeBron or Wade but Ben Wallace. That includes Joel P. and Zaza.

Quote:

And you still haven't given one example of a defensive center that can be had for the MLE or less.

Joel P. can't be had for the MLE or less, so what's your point? Just because he's available and good defensively (which is debatable IMO) doesn't mean the Hawks are obligated to throw money at him. He's not worth it long-term.

Quote:

Your Shelden anwser is nonsense. The Hawks got JJ who is a good defender at the 2 but that didn't stop opposing 1s from abusing our 1s.

You're still not factoring in cost. It would be wonderful to have terrific defensive players at every position, but then you end up like the Pistons - not being able to afford them all. It's not feasible.

It was feasible, however, to bring in a defensive PF and address the PG situation.

Quote:

Yes I did. I said that no center available to the Hawks would be a deterrent to LeBron or Wade but Ben Wallace. That includes Joel P. and Zaza.

No you didn't. I think you need to re-read it. You should have noticed that the question made no mention of Prz or any player not on the Hawks.

The correct answer is NO.

And Joel is MUCH more of a deterrent than Zaza/Lo, who simply won't work.His whole game is based on his defensive ability. That is the only reason he is in the league.

And a front line rotation of Prz, Shelden and Smith would definitely be a deterent to anyone taking it to the rim.

Quote:

Joel P. can't be had for the MLE or less, so what's your point?

Then let me rephrase it. Give me one plausible scenario for the Hawks to get a center who can play D while not paying $9 million/yr or more, assuming they don't get one in the Indy deal.

• Premium Member

Quote:

And Joel is MUCH more of a deterrent than Zaza/Lo, who simply won't work.

No, I disagree. He's MORE of a deterrent, but for his 24 minutes a game (much of which would be spent in foul trouble or lagging his way up the court), he's not MUCH more of a deterrent. Certainly not enough to merit his price tag.

Quote:

Then let me rephrase it. Give me one plausible scenario for the Hawks to get a center who can play D while not paying $9 million/yr or more, assuming they don't get one in the Indy deal.

Why should I? I don't think the Hawks need a defensive C this season if it's going to cost them more than the MLE for a non-impact player.

I think the Hawks addressed their interior D as best as was feasible. If a good, young post defender had been available, I'm sure they would have considered it. Rumors from the Nuggets' board claimed that the Hawks were prepared to pony up to make Nene an offer. However, he wasn't made available.

Prz was 7th in the league in blocks playing only 24 minutes a game. Zaza blocked half a shot in 30 minutes.

Any guard in the league can score on Zaza. He is no deterrent at all.

And even though Prz was injured for much of the year I still watched him several times, including watching him play man to man against Shaq and shuting him down completely, in fact outscoring him through 3 quarters. This wasn't long after Shaq's dunkfest on Zaza's head.

You believe one of these to be true.

1)Zaza/Lo are good enough for the Hawks to be title contenders without an upgrade.

2) the Hawks can make a future upgrade at center without playing the max. (of course you have no examples)

Either that or you are content with the Hawks not being title contenders.

Hopefully the Hawks can get lucky with this Al deal. That appears to me to be their only reasonalbe chance to upgrade the center spot.

• Premium Member

Pryz vs. the Hawks..

Game 1:

Zaza 12 points, 6 rebs 56% shooting.

Edwards 6 points, 6 rebs 50% shooting.

Game 2:

Zaza 15 points, 10 rebs, 50% shooting.

I'm not so impressed with Pryz' defense.

Shotblocking is wonderful, but shotblocking is only one small compartment in the box known as defense.

At least 8. How many did he get head to head against Prz? 1

The rules change regarding the hand check puts an even greater premium on shotblocking since it is easier for guards to drive to the rim. I wouldn't expect you to be able to make that connection however.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You believe one of these to be true.

1)Zaza/Lo are good enough for the Hawks to be title contenders without an upgrade.

2) the Hawks can make a future upgrade at center without playing the max. (of course you have no examples)

Neither.

I would rather the Hawks pay someone like Kaman or Nene the max than give Joel P. $8M/year.

Quote:

Either that or you are content with the Hawks not being title contenders.

They're not winning the title this year even if they acquire Ben Wallace, a player 10x as good as Joel P.

So what center could we possibly get?

Kaman is restricted and we couldn't offer him the max anyway. We'd have to overpay for Mags, and that is assuming we could even get him.

I just don't see many options. This summer was the best chance for the Hawks to get a center.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I just don't see many options.

I don't either with one exception: the 2007 or 2008 draft. That's the Hawks' best shot.

Also, if Kaman doesn't sign an extension by the end of October, he'll be the biggest name on the market. He's a legit center...

Quote:

Kaman is restricted and we couldn't offer him the max anyway.

Depends on next year's cap and any trades... the Hawks will be close to the max, though.

• Moderators

Quote:

You do realize that Portland had the worst record in the league. They were also extemely short.

So why do you think he would impact our team?

Their PF was 6'9'' Zach Randolph who is as tall as our PFs.

They have 6'9'' SF Darius Miles.

Our record wasn't much better.