• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

At least we know BK does not make rash decisions

Packfill

I really think the slow, somewhat embarrassing manner that the JJ situation was handled and now the AL snt is panning out are more a function of ownership than BK.

I'm no huge BK fan, but I can imagine what he has to go through dealing with this gaggle of geese we have for an ownership group. When it's all said and done (and if it ever comes to light) i think we will find that Bernie's quote saying BK is free to spend to the cap to make the team better is a bunch of BS for fans consumption.

If he is hamstrung, at least he's made some moves to get us help at the point and big positions at reasonable prices. Not my dream line-up as it stands...but it should be watchable and have a chance to be competitive.

Guest Walter

Quote:

At the end of the day we can all take comfort in the knowledge that Billy Knight will not make rash, split-second decisions which could handicap this franchise for years to come.
grin.gif

...all the better, higher rated talent likely to be available or that could be traded up for.

That wasn't rash, that was flat out stupid and arrogant.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

missing out on a diop or a butler won't cripple the franchise

But it may prevent you from building an actual contender. Seems that many GMs do well enough to neither cripple the franchise or sit on their hands for months.

Quote:

giving dampier/pryz/etc the max would

Pryz would not have gotten the max from anyone, but he would be extremely valuable to us starting at just slightly above what he was eventually signed for.

BK offered Kenyon Martin the max. Phew.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

BK offered Kenyon Martin the max. Phew.

W

Martin was coming from a 16.7pts and 9.5reb season, and he was only 25.

...and everyone should have known how GD limited Martin's game was to not nearly offer him a max contract.

You've got to stop apologizing for his mistakes, even the ones that didn't come to fruition. Accept them and weigh him as a GM in that light, not as a blind man would. Has BK done everything wrong? No. But we are a seriously flawed, nøt nearly a contending team as constructed. We could have been much, MUCH better. We should have been MUCH better after this offseason. Admit BK is human and makes mistakes and we can start there, but otherwise I'll be arguing against your GM god-concept and I have neither the time nor energy for that.

W

You've hit the nail on the head. Ownership is the problem with the team. BK is dealing with that situation daily and can't make moves because they can't see eye to eye on things.

• Premium Member

I posted it in another thread but I've heard from reliable sources (you can guess who one of them is heh) that the AS ownership had told BK to spend up to the cap before the Belkin situation. Now those funds are frozen because they (AS) is not going to spend more money on the Hawks than they have to with a real risk of losing everything to Satan er Belkin.

So yes, BK is handcuffed here. Other teams know the real reason the team won't take back salary and are putting BK over a barrel over it. Or attempting to do so. You have an ownership that only wants to meet the NBA minimum payroll until the Belkin situation is finally done (which can take another two to three years I might add) and they know where they stand.

The Hawks are literally screwed from top down. Think how many times Sekou Smith inserts a comment about the ownership situation affecting our team and this Harrington deal. He knows. He's just not going to report it as it really stands. The Atlanta Spirit publically will say they have told BK to spend to the cap limit which WAS true but is not any longer. Unless they change their minds in regards to Belkin this team won't be spending much money.