• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Breakfast w/Bernie

DJlaysitup

I heard the first part of BwithB before pulling into the parking garage and losing the signal. They discussed AL options and pushed him a bit about possibly resigning AL. Bernie was kind of evasive - saying that it could be a possiblity but he also mentioned the playing time issues for our young guns. He said AL was a great player for the Hawks and a great human being. The call in session was about to start when I had to turn it off.

Anybody hear the whole thing? Any new news?

He didn’t talk about much that wasn’t already known.

I don't believe a trade is happening later this evening. He can't talk about certain players or a 5 million dollar fine will be placed over his head. He said many teams have an interest for Al and that Billy Knight is looking for athletic players that are young. Bernie went on to talk about the LW signing, but couldn't go into detail, and it sounded as if Bernie was saying read the rumors.

That's the parts I caught.

I heard the whole interview. Bernie's quote was essentially that the Pacers deal is, at least for now, no more. He said it is another situation in which the GM and the owner are not on the same page (on the Pacers side). He said there are other deals out there, and in most cases, it is guys offering overpaid veterans that they're not willing to take. He said the most desirable deal involves someone offering 3 guys, 2 of them are young and they want them, 1 a veteran that they don't want, but will live with. The issue is that this other team doesn't want to meet Al's salary demands. But, if Al lowers demands or team ups willingness to take on Al's deal, that one can work. He also said if they resigned Al and traded him later, they can't deal him till December 15th. He wasn't really saying that was an "option", he referred to it when somebody asked him if they might do that.

• Premium Member

Quote:

the most desirable deal involves someone offering 3 guys, 2 of them are young and they want them, 1 a veteran that they don't want, but will live with. The issue is that this other team doesn't want to meet Al's salary demands. But, if Al lowers demands or team ups willingness to take on Al's deal, that one can work.

Hmm..

That sounds like either LAL or SEA...

Cook, Mihm, McKie....

Petro, Ridnour, Fortson...

Well at least this is getting more interesting - with the chance of our Hawks getting better immediately instead of getting a 2007 or 8 draft pick.

I suppose it would mean we'd have to take back considerable salary after all...wonder what our owners are thinking?

Did we call DW on a bluff?

I'm just satisfied that all the snotty Pacer fans who thought they had us cornered are coming out of this with nothing. Good luck trying to make a deal with that exception, hope it expires, and look forward to losing to the Hawks 5 times a year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He said the most desirable deal involves someone offering 3 guys, 2 of them are young and they want them, 1 a veteran that they don't want, but will live with.

Vet they don't want = McKie

Young player = Cook or Vujacic, Mihm

Not sure if Mihm qualifies as young, but...

...there's also a small (read: 1%) chance Bynum is included.

Quote:

He said the most desirable deal involves someone offering 3 guys, 2 of them are young and they want them, 1 a veteran that they don't want, but will live with.

That is good news in my book.

I think the only way the Hawks can get a young center with potential is through a trade. Getting a player like that by trading Al is a no brainer since we don't want Al anyway.

A pick and cap space don't mean squat to me.