• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Maybe we should watch them play first?

Diesel

I don't think people are questioning whether the Hawks have talent - they have some great talent but most of it is very young.

The debates center around whether the Hawks' "talent" is distributed properly and whether the team is constructed to eventually win a championship.

We argue about enough, so no point in making an issue of something that isn't an issue.

• Moderators

Actually, I agree with you. I think this team has some potential to do some damage. But honestly its only Shelden that no one has seen play. In a larger sense no one has seen the Hawks squad as a team but talent wise on an individual basis I think we know what we have with the exception of Shelden and a lesser extent Marvin and Salim.

I'm thinking that this is the year we really see Smoove and Chill step up and be leaders on this team. Compared to where we were 2 years ago I think we've come a long way. If we limit turnovers and improve our perimeter defense I think we're in good shape. I think we'll rebound, score and pass really well. We may still get abused by Shaq but how many Shaq's will we face. We were able to handle Duncan last year so I don't see our lack of size as keeping us from winning.

• Premium Member

I mean, once you remove Al... This team is different.

regardless of who plays in his place.

Well we become a team that runs nonstop with an open offense that resembles Phoenix or something else.

I do know that before Phoenix got Nash, nobody was talking about how good they could be. Like us, they were considered young and incomplete. Well, let's see what they do after about 20-30 games before we start talking about their demise.

It's gonna be interesting for sure. For better or worse I can't wait to see it.

A lot of our team identity was in Al, and now we got a big upgrade at PG. To a lesser extent we strengthened our interior, as well. This season we will find out if our roster needs to be tweaked or dramatically changed again.

• Premium Member

If we re-signed Al right now and signed Lo, I think that team that we can field would win probably 42-45 games.

However, we will have some difficulty adjusting to chemistry changes but depending on who we get back for AL, it could make all the difference in the world. For instance, if we get back Joe Smith (and everybody stays healthy) I think we can win about the same 42-45. IF we bring back Mihm, I think we can win maybe 40 games. That's why I was so against just taking the indy deal from the fans perspective. I don't see how a pick or capspace improves us. Capspace can't suit up. He doesn't play and he doesn't give you any promises. Another first would be nice but depending on the position it may not be worth much.

• Moderators

Cap Space doesn't turn the ball over though.

I keep forgetting about Lorenzen. He may not be perfect but he is a solid nba player and big at that. Considering we wouldn't even play Edwards when we were getting beat up inside this will be a big help.

I agree getting a player for Al is important for the fans and the players. Everyone has to be thinking playoffs this year and we could use another body for that. Even if its Joe Smith we've basically added Speedy, Lo, Shelden, Joe Smith to our squad and only lost Al. That's good addition plus some improvement from the young guys.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I mean, once you remove Al... This team is different.

Really we have seen this team. We've seen it make a similar change in trading Walker. We have the same coach. There is some change about to happen, but it will not all be positive despite our youth developing and could be rather disheartening if our increasing lack of an offensive post option and continuing lack of defense from the center position play a major role.

Of course we all want and are willing to see what happens, but we're a 26 win team, we're losing 19/7, and we replaced it with some mediocre pieces despite all the capitol we could ever hope for. I think we know this team better than we think we do and that may be the problem.

W

Walker was not similar to me. We did not have a complete roster that year. It was composed of cast offs, two decent NBA starters, and two somewhat capable rookies.

This team is totally different. We have real backups at every position. I posed this question before, are our backups now better than our starters from 2 years ago? After trading Walker, you have to say yes.

• Premium Member

However, BK picked up players with the same weakness. NO defense. I think we've made some moves this time around to get players that play a stronger brand of defense. So you can expect some different play.

What I'm saying what is just wait to see what our changes change on the floor before making statements like: " There is some change about to happen, but it will not all be positive despite our youth developing and could be rather disheartening if our increasing lack of an offensive post option and continuing lack of defense from the center position play a major role. "

Comeon man... You have absolutely no basis for this statement. Just a want for this team to fail.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I posed this question before, are our backups now better than our starters from 2 years ago? After trading Walker, you have to say yes.

I won't disagree, but I don't see the other question that way. Do we have a better team? Yes. Is it one in which Al leaving changes us from a developing team towards at best mediocrity to a developing team developing towards title contention? A definate NO! Harrington leaving does not qualitatively change our team or it's players. Just my take.

W

I think we won 3 games after trading Walker, maybe 4.

The identity change with Al is forcing more ball movement. He was called a black hole for a reason, and hopefully we are getting higher % shots because of increased ball movement and a better PG. Everyone has to be involved, and a lot of our guys can score 16-20 points on any given night.

Since I'm a fan, and a Hawks fan in particular, I'm going to enjoy watching our team play before I proclaim it a stinker.