IMy ideal trade based on this scenario:

Joe Smith (expiring contract)

Michael Pietrus

2007 first round pick from Denver

Chill to LA for Bynum?

I can hope can't I.

W

Quote:

I'd love to get Biedrins or Ellis, but I just don't see the Warriors letting those guys go. Pietrus, on the other hand, is expendable for them and is a great young prospect and lockdown defender.

He initially broke into their rotation by guarding the opposing PG, so he could play with JJ in a big-guard lineup and allow JJ to run the offense w/o worrying about guarding smaller, quicker players--Pietrus can handle that.

Plus, we could really use a lock down defender off the bench to handle guys like Kobe, etc., and grabbing up good young prospects is always a positive and allows you to have more options later.

My ideal trade based on this scenario:

Joe Smith (expiring contract)

Michael Pietrus

2007 first round pick from Denver

i'll trade you North Carolina and Pennsylvania Ave for Boardwalk after you're done.

Quote:

i'll trade you North Carolina and Pennsylvania Ave for Boardwalk after you're done.

Instead of sarcastic remarks I'd like to here an actual critique of this proposal. If it's your stupid "$8 million is a lot to pay for a good young prospect and a pick" theory then I'll have to disagree.

Sure, $8 million is not monopoly money, but a pick and a young prospect on a rookie contract together with an expiring contract are the best thing we could possibly hope for absent the trade exception.

We can't do a deal with anyone but Indiana if we don't want to take back salary, and no one is going to give up an all-star veteran in return for Al Harrington.

It sounds to me like your the kind of person who's too cheap and short-sighted to actually buy any of the Monopoly properties you land on and instead save your money to pay all the people who took the initiative to buy properties and build hotels.

This deal would definitely give us some depth up front although no legitimate 7'ers. I'll assume the deal nets us Joe Smith and a 1st.

Claxton / Lue / Salim

Johnson / Childress

JSmith / (Childress)

MWilliams / JoeSmith / SWilliams

Zaza / Wright

I like the idea of having Joe Smith, Lo Wright, Speedy Claxton, Tyron Lue and Joe Johnson as veterans.

Quote:

Quote:

Instead of sarcastic remarks I'd like to here an actual critique of this proposal. If it's your stupid "$8 million is a lot to pay for a good young prospect and a pick" theory then I'll have to disagree.

Sure, $8 million is not monopoly money, but a pick and a young prospect on a rookie contract together with an expiring contract are the best thing we could possibly hope for absent the trade exception.

We can't do a deal with anyone but Indiana if we don't want to take back salary, and no one is going to give up an all-star veteran in return for Al Harrington.

It sounds to me like your the kind of person who's too cheap and short-sighted to actually buy any of the Monopoly properties you land on and instead save your money to pay all the people who took the initiative to buy properties and build hotels.

i'm the type of person that's in a 35+% tax bracket. you're right I am cheap when I see your type come along looking for ways to redistribute.

you are asking, excuse me demanding the AS to shell out 8 million dollars of their money for a third level NBA prospect and a 1st round pick outside of the lottery.

this deal makes zero sense from a financial standpoint. of course that's not a big deal when it's not your money.

LOL @ "$8 million is a lot to pay for a good young prospect and a pick" being stupid.

Quote:

I'm the type of person that's in a 35+% tax bracket. You're right I am cheap when I see your type come along looking for ways to redistribute.

I guess that explains why you don't think Bush is ruining the universe. (Just kidding.) And by the way, what is "my type?"

But on a serious note, we can either pay one year of Joe Smith's salary (or something comparable) to get a pick and a prospect in return for Al, or we can revive the Indiana deal (seems unlikely), or we can convince a team to trade us a very good veteran in his prime in return for Al (seems very unlikely), or let Al walk (seems stupid).

Personally I'll take the first option...and it's not like it's unusual to take on an expiring salary to create cap space or to get a young asset...this ownership group has already done it in the past.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm the type of person that's in a 35+% tax bracket. You're right I am cheap when I see your type come along looking for ways to redistribute.

I guess that explains why you don't think Bush is ruining the universe. (Just kidding.) And by the way, what is "my type?"

But on a serious note, we can either pay one year of Joe Smith's salary (or something comparable) to get a pick and a prospect in return for Al, or we can revive the Indiana deal (seems unlikely), or we can convince a team to trade us a very good veteran in his prime in return for Al (seems very unlikely), or let Al walk (seems stupid).

Personally I'll take the first option...and it's not like it's unusual to take on an expiring salary to create cap space or to get a young asset...this ownership group has already done it in the past.

anybody working on a commission based pay plan with common sense votes his/her wallet. I'd buy you know who a beer anyday of the week because I think he is a cool guy but he killed me every Thursday.

OK here's my biggest problem with your proposal as opposed to let's say the Mihm proposal.

Joe Smith is in the twilight of his career. Really the only reason we are talking Joe Smith here is because his salary figure matches.

Joe Smith isn't going to be a one year "try it and see if you like it" type of acquisition.

Joe Smith isn't going to be a coveted player (Mihm will be one of two or three centers available on the market in 2007) on the FA market. If we trade for a young expiring or an expiring that plays a desireable position we'll be in a position next offseason to exert even more leverage than Al currently allows us in a S&T this summer.

The pick and the slightly above average prospect i'm ok with. the fact that we're getting nothing out of Joe Smith is what i have a big problem with.

Quote:

OK here's my biggest problem with your proposal as opposed to let's say the Mihm proposal.

I'm with you on getting Mihm and a pick (or Bynum)--that would be fine with me also. But I thought you were against the idea of paying too much in useless salary just to get a young player or a pick, and I therefore assumed you would be against the Lakers deal because we would still have to pay Cook and McKie around $6 million to sit on the bench. If you're just saying that you prefer the Lakers deal to the Golden State deal then I can understand what you're saying.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm with you on getting Mihm and a pick (or Bynum)--that would be fine with me also. But I thought you were against the idea of paying too much in useless salary just to get a young player or a pick, and I therefore assumed you would be against the Lakers deal because we would still have to pay Cook and McKie around $6 million to sit on the bench. If you're just saying that you prefer the Lakers deal to the Golden State deal then I can understand what you're saying.

which is precisely why i was so against the Indy deal. i didn't feel like we were getting anything to help the team in return outside of salary relief.

Houston may/can get involved in this deal also. they may want Troy Murphy.

Quote:

gsuteke said:

Joe Smith isn't going to be a coveted player (Mihm will be one of two or three centers available on the market in 2007) on the FA market. If we trade for a
young
expiring or an expiring that plays a desireable position we'll be in a position next offseason to exert even more leverage than Al currently allows us in a S&T this summer.

The pick and the slightly above average prospect i'm ok with. the fact that we're getting nothing out of Joe Smith is what i have a big problem with.

Great point gsuteke.

With the Hawks, Mihm could have a career year and look really good in the free agent market. This has been overlooked in this board. Turning a cheap free agent SJ into 2 first round picks? Thats magic! Mihm will be worth the money. Will Wright walk out if we get Mihm? Will BK even want him?

Dallas's 1st round pick will be slightly better than an early second round pick. I would rather have LA's 1st round pick.

I haven't seen Smith play in a while, but stat-wise he is far behind AL. Smith is skinnier than AL (6'10" 225lb - not exactly a big body. So why would why take Smith rather than keep AL? Is he a great defender? Or is he on an ending contract. Just doesn't seem to make much sense - so what am I missing?

• Premium Member

I don't think it's been overlooked. I like both options Mihm or Smith. However, there haven't been enough said about why Smith. If we get Smith, we get a player who can play both PF and C. A player who is good defensively (period)... plus he blocks shots. But mainly we get a guy who is not taking up 30 minutes a game. I see Smith as a natural surrogate for Shelden Williams. I hope Smith is able to play the same role as McDyess in Detroit. Not the starter, but the guy who can spell the starter and put in good work.

About GSU take on Mihm is this. It's somewhat Niave considering our situation.

IF we did get Mihm and he did have a career year, Do you think we would pay him considering our current situation? Our owners seemingly want to put up the check book and we don't seem to be coming out of the woods in the matter for 2 more years. Still, if we did come out... Mihm will still be a free agent, we can still pay good money to get him!

Quote:

I don't think it's been overlooked. I like both options Mihm or Smith. However, there haven't been enough said about why Smith. If we get Smith, we get a player who can play both PF and C. A player who is good defensively (period)... plus he blocks shots. But mainly we get a guy who is not taking up 30 minutes a game. I see Smith as a natural surrogate for Shelden Williams. I hope Smith is able to play the same role as McDyess in Detroit. Not the starter, but the guy who can spell the starter and put in good work.

About GSU take on Mihm is this. It's somewhat Niave considering our situation.

IF we did get Mihm and he did have a career year, Do you think we would pay him considering our current situation? Our owners seemingly want to put up the check book and we don't seem to be coming out of the woods in the matter for 2 more years. Still, if we did come out... Mihm will still be a free agent, we can still pay good money to get him!

hopefully Billy will offer him what he's worth if they want to keep him and not a dollar more. if that's not enough for Mihm once again we can trade him to someone else.

next year's FA period could see a whirlwind of activity.

In the end we can argue which trade in particular helps or hurts the Hawks the most with pretty much everyone being able to make valid points on both sides of each argument.

I think I may have to change my sig.......

• Premium Member

Don't get me wrong, I like it too. I have mentioned getting Mihm and deciding to use either him or Zaza as trade material at the break in order to get a pick.

Still... I don't see us keeping the same happy family without trading one or the other. Salaries are just too much.

The other point is don't underestimate the effect that Smith could have on the team. Joe Smith knows how to play defense. I think that would be a very good match for our young guns to have a guy who can run with them while playing either C or Pf.

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I like it too. I have mentioned getting Mihm and deciding to use either him or Zaza as trade material at the break in order to get a pick.

Still... I don't see us keeping the same happy family without trading one or the other. Salaries are just too much.

The other point is don't underestimate the effect that Smith could have on the team. Joe Smith knows how to play defense. I think that would be a very good match for our young guns to have a guy who can run with them while playing either C or Pf.

i don't know much about Joe Smith outside of he was drafted #1 out of Maryland and the TWolves got busted that one time offering him a promise.

in terms of a solid veteran locker room presence I think McKie out of my preferred trade would serve the same purpose as Smith in this one. but then again it's not like I've ever met McKie either.

Clips fans don"t think too much of the trade. This off of Realgm:

I've seen this rumor to on ESPN and in the SF Chronicle. I don't see the Clips doing this deal because of 3 reasons.

1. Baylor is not stupid enough to send Meggette to a Western Conference rival that will be fighting them four a good playoff spot.

2. Mike Jr. is not a good defender and has a bad contract.

3. Clips don't get Harrington.

Makes no sence and I don't see Clips doing this trade. Only way I see Clips doing this trade or a similiar trade is if Harrington is coming their way and Meggette is going to the East. That does two things. Keeps Harrington from going to the other LA Lockerroom in Staple Center and does not give a another Western Conf playoff a strong piece like Magettee