koncak

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

I see an artificial salary cap there that's much lower than the league's.

Again you are missing the point. When did the artificial cap come into play? After free agency had already started and players were agreeing to contracts.

I agree that its a spin, but the spin has some validity. I fail to understand where I am missing the point. It looks to me that the artificial lower cap was there even before we signed Speedy. BK was going to go over it only if something big (either potential or superstar) came up.

Quote:

Quote:

Again, they are thinking they are using Al's money to get Lo+Speedy

Al made 6.8 mil this past season. Speedy and Lo make 9 million.

I think you need to look at what Al would have made if he'd signed with us. Adding that to the 1M we gained from trading Edwards certainly adds up to 9M.

Quote:

The number is close enough to justify his argument

it is close enough to rationalize, but the reality is that they had no intention of resigning Al anyway.

Nothing but spin. I am seeing a lot of this lately. Maybe I should start trying it at work.

Somehow I don't think my boss will fall for it.

personally i think it's BK trying to pull something out of his ass in logic on why we only got a first round pick..saying something that basically connects 3 different offseason moves together is really pushing the limits of Pr bullsht...i don't think it's him though, i think he's doing the best pr on this as he can to cover the owners hide...or his own.

• Moderators

Quote:

Nene wasn't going to sign a reasonable contract.

Remember he turned down a 5 year 50 million dollar deal previously.

That is what I was thinking when reading people premising their evaluation of the trade on the idea that Nene would have agreed to a reasonable contract. IMO, there is no evidence for that given what he previously turned down and what he ultimately signed for.

The Hawks would have been bidding against themselves most likely.

Gooden and Wilcox didn't receive any offers that I know of and ended up signing 3 year deals. I am sure that isn't what they had in mind on July 1. And they weren't coming off a season ending injury.

• Moderators

Quote:

Gooden and Wilcox didn't receive any offers that I know of and ended up signing 3 year deals. I am sure that isn't what they had in mind on July 1. And they weren't coming off a season ending injury.

I still don't see how that translates into Nene taking a reasonable offer. Gooden and Wilcox are much less valuable than Nene because they are PFs and can't play C like he can. Nene is also a lower ego guy than someone like Gooden whose personality has led to him being passed around the league.

Nene turned down a 5 yr/50 M offer and ended up with a 60M deal. Isn't that a very, very strong indicator he would not take the kind of 3 yr/24 M offer that Gooden and Wilcox did?

• Premium Member

Quote:

You guys can go dig it up for yourselves, but a Nuggets insider on their "proboards.com" site said that several teams, including the Hawks, were prepared to offer more than $10m/year for Nene. Considering that the Hornets were willing to pay Chandler a similar amount, I would bet they were one of those other teams.

His market value was HIGH, even with the injuries. He wouldn't have taken a discount.

NOK was the only team that could have bid for him since I doubt Chicago would have chosen Nene over Wallace.

Signing Wallace made Chandler available. So it boils down to whether NOK would prefer Chandler over Nene. And if they made an offer for Nene they would be fairly certain that the Hawks would just match anyway since we were desparate for a center.

If NOK chooses Chandler then there is nobody left to offer Nene a big deal.

Charlotte wouldn't do anything. What free agent have they ever bid on.

Toronto has their sights on Mags most likely. Plus they traded for Rasho at 8 mill/yr.

Chicago signed Wallace. They wouldn't pay big for both.

Cleveland lol.

I know you like to live in fantasy rather than reality. If someone had told you Al would sign a 4 year $35 million deal you would have told them they were delusional.

I don't expect you to ever face reality.

Quote:

Or he could have walked.

Do you still think Nene was unrestricted? I thought we went over this already. Maybe I should go find the thread lol.

• Premium Member

Charlotte wouldn't do anything. What free agent have they ever bid on.

Let's see. 27 million to spend. We would like a big. Do we re-up Ely or do we go for Nene.

Toronto has their sights on Mags most likely. Plus they traded for Rasho at 8 mill/yr.

Let's see. Rasho or Nene? You must think Denver is lying when they said that there were several teams including the Hawks lined up to make Nene a comparable bid. They made their offer to Nene ASAP..

Chicago signed Wallace. They wouldn't pay big for both.

Why Not?

Cleveland lol.

[

Quote:

Or he could have walked.

Do you still think Nene was unrestricted? I thought we went over this already. Maybe I should go find the thread lol.

* UBB.threads™

About Us | Help | Donate | Contact Us

• Moderators

Quote:

If I had said in June that Al would sign at 4 yr $35 million deal what would you have said?

I would have seriously doubted it but not as much as I would have if Al turned down a 5 yr $50 M offer from the Hawks. Al would have signed that deal in a heartbeat last year. He had lower expectations than Nene. That is pretty clear.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

He had lower expectations than Nene. That is pretty clear.

It is also clear that Al had his best season ever while Nene sat out the season injured.

Al came into this offseason where he would have signed a 5 yr 50M deal in a heartbeat.

Nene demanded and got a better deal than that.

Al's expectations were still lower when FA started than Nene's were.