• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should we have just trade AL for Artest and ......

Wurider05

worked from there. I mean Artest probably would have gotten us more than Al. Indiana would have done the trade and maybe we could have worked out something with the Lakers. We were the only team in the league that had what Indiana wanted. We could have traded Artest this summer. Indiana essentially trade Artest for AL. Remember Artest has a bargain contract. I think that that trade could have been very big for us.

Hell no!

Not only would Ron Artest have been a bad influence on the Hawks younger players, he would have been nearly impossible to trade. Teams weren't lining up to take on his services this past year, and the teams that were lining up were offering only bad contracts....i.e....Golden State and Troy Murphy.

Ron Artest would have been a problem from day 1 in Atlanta with his attitude.

Guest Walter

Roy/Speedy

JJ/Childress

Artest/MW

JS/MW/Batista

ZaZa/Lo/?

Trade Childress for a center a true with potential and this team is set.

Artest is a monster on the court. Dennis Rodman helped teams win how many titles? Artest could be our Rodman. Since we have missed out on so much talent at positions of need in the drafts, we can't sit on our hands or make safe deals and expect to contend.

Artest certainly could get us a 20 something pick this year. NO less.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

It doesn't work like that. For starters, if we get Artest mid-season we're not in a position to draft Foye/Roy

Which would you rather have Sene (or another at 7-10)/Artest or SW/lotto protected Indy pick?

Should I even ask?

The reason you don't think we could have gotten Roy or Foye ( but don't exclude SW) is 1) Artest would have made us significantly better immdiately than Harrington did after being a member of the team for some time, 2) no other team would have drfted SW ahead of Roy or Foye.

W

Quote:

Not only would Ron Artest have been a bad influence on the Hawks younger players, he would have been nearly impossible to trade. Teams weren't lining up to take on his services this past year, and the teams that were lining up were offering only bad contracts....i.e....Golden State and Troy Murphy.

Hard to trade? Have you seen his contract? It is by far the best non-rookie contract for his production.

And I do believe Maggette was offered by the Clips, it wouldn't be hard to trade him at all. We have seen how slow Indy is at doing trades, so the wait on Artest wasn't because of the lack of offers.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Artest is dangerous to a team, especially a young team. think T.O., Moss, Rider

The question is can a 26 win team missing out on the best talent through poor drafts afford to not take a flyer on Artest for Harrington? If it doesn't work out Artest will always be worth more than a lotto protected 1st.

W

Again, I submit that Ron Artest, as good of a player as he is, was not garnering much interest when Indiana was trying to deal him. What makes you think the Hawks would have been able to get a first round pick for him, knowing full well that Artest would have showcased his thugish attitude on a losing team?

Atlanta wouldn't be able to get rid of him. In Sacramento, he's happy for now. He's a Terrell Owens type though, and something will go wrong that causes him to shoot off even in a winning situation. He didn't get along very well with Rick Carlisle in Indiana, and I don't think he will get along well with Eric Musselman longterm in Sacramento.

Trading Al for Artest would have been a disaster from the first day.

Quote:

The reason you don't think we could have gotten Roy or Foye ( but don't exclude SW) is 1) Artest would have made us significantly better immdiately than Harrington did after being a member of the team for some time, 2) no other team would have drfted SW ahead of Roy or Foye.

Yeah, so what? I'm not running around claiming BK is God. You don't listen to anyone else man, just start a blog if you just want to see your own thoughts. All I said was that you are acting like we could have had Artest and Roy/Foye, which we couldn't, and you're only doing that to make BK look worse than he is. Just like the people who act like we could have had Paul and still had the #5 pick, it doesn't work like that.

For the record, I was in favor of getting Artest at the time (though very hesitant), and I would definitely do it in retrospect. What we didn't know at the time, is whether he would blow up on us, go nuts, or even just refuse to play from day 1. It now seems that he was ready to come here, but there was no telling that at the time. Also, Artest is like TO. If he blows up in your fact, he's not going to do it his first month on the job. You're permanently at risk of him losing it and destroying your franchise. And the risk is amplified on a young team. Why do you think Indy put him on permanent suspension?

As far as Roy or Foye over SW, that's probably true with the order how it turned out, who knows what the order would have been if we're not there. When you draft for need, it's generally true that other teams wouldn't have picked that guy at that spot unless they had the same needs. We had 2 glaring needs, we helped adress one with our draft.

Get over it.

BK's nowhere near as bad as you make him out to be, and nowhere near as good as KB makes him out to be.

Quote:

Trade Childress for a center a true with potential and this team is set.

As much as I like Chill, I can't think of any team that would be willing to trade a promising young big man for him. Who do you have in mind? Howard? Okafor? Or some boom-or-bust types like Swift, Sene, etc..

Quote:

Indy lacked leverage while attempting to trade Artest last season. therefore they got below market value for him.

They would have had Maggette if he hadn't gotten hurt.

They also lacked leverage because they were only looking to trade him out West and they were over the cap. The Hawks didn't have those problems.

And as a general comment (not directed to you) if the Hawks had gotten Artest I can't see any way he would actually play for us. They just would have sat him out and looked to trade him.