• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why can't we give Olowokandi a shot?

Blunt91

Arizona Republic - Former No. 1 draft pick Michael Olowokandi is coming to Phoenix - at least for a day.

Olowokandi, a 7-foot free agent with 393 career starts, is paying his own way to work out for the Suns today but is a long shot to stick.

Phoenix's post play is depending on the returns of Amaré Stoudemire, who had a good informal workout debut Monday, and Kurt Thomas, who is back to weighing 245 pounds like before his foot stress fracture in February.

Olowokandi, the 1998 draft's top pick, could play for a one-year minimum deal ($1.07 million in his case). He has career averages of 8.6 points and 7.1 rebounds.

"He's eager to get out and play a little bit," said his agent, Bill Duffy. "You can get away with stuff in the regular season that you can't in the playoffs. A 7-footer can make a difference. It comes down to isolated plays. You've got to have a big guy."

The Hawks don't even have to offer him a full 1year deal. We have given partial guareenteed 1year deals to guys like Lee Nailon and Leon Smith in the past so why not give Micheal a try? I know there is no roster space but seriously Knight jumped the gun by picking up the options on Royal Ivey & Esteban Batista so soon in the offseason. You don't have to tell me Olowokandi is that good of a player, I know that, but he would help and could play 15mpg. Are we so cheap we can't offer a NBA vet $500,000dollars? We paid Edwards 1million last year, and Mike is way better than him even if he is a bust.

So I guess the Hawks are willing to take chances on young players like Leon Smith,(when he played for us),John Edwards and someone like Batista, but if you are 30years old and haven't accomplished anything it is not worth it?

He may stink but I just wanted someone with some size coming off the bench.