• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Boris Diaw a 10 million dollar player?

Johnnybravo4

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

potential's worth more when you're a pf/of fabled 'c'...then again, does Diaw now fit this type of label?

Nevermind, Amare's coming back...there's so many reasons I could list that make paying him this kind of money ridiuclous if the Suns predict any semblance of the old Amare (pt/production) in the new-microsurgeried-amare.

Quote:

I'm not excusing the guy. I'm saying he folded. He was under pressure here because he was expected to score and play in a way that he was not accustomed to, and there was a sort of awkward standoff between him, the coach, the fanbase etc... and he was our 1st rounder. It's not the pressure of carrying a top franchise, but there was pressure.

In Phoenix he came in as a throw in on a trade that they would have considered a success (2 1st rounders) regardless of his performance, and absolutely nothing was expected of him. If he hadn't scored a single point all season he probably would have gotten less crap from the media than he got here. The coaches saw that he was shy and didn't want to shoot and they made him shoot thousands and thousands of jumpers and were constantly praising him because they saw that he needed the confidence boost. He responded well and fit in perfectly on a team that didn't NEED him to score.

isn't it amazing how Colangelo is a "genius" because he traded for Diaw? LOL *shaking head*

Quote:

isn't it amazing how Colangelo is a "genius" because he traded for Diaw? LOL *shaking head*

Or maybe because he drafted Shawn Marion, drafted Amare, brought Nash over when nobody thought he was worth it, got Diaw and 2 picks from us for JJ, and got D'Antoni to implement a quick-paced free flowing Euro style to match the style of the players he acquired ...

But hey it's clear that you know more than me so he must not know what he's doing.

Quote:

Quote:

You have go to be kidding me? If Phoenix pays Diaw even the 8 million per year number they have lost their mind. With Amare coming back, they will see Diaw's numbers and effectiveness diminish. If they pay him 10 million that he wants I will troll the Phoenix board until they beg for mercy.

BWWAAAHHAHAHAHAAHHAA!!!!!!

Where is that Phx troll when you need somebody to laugh at?!?!?!

LoL.

Where do I begin.

Joe Johnson_________Boris Diaw

20.2 pts____________13.3 pts (24.2 in WCF)

4.1 rbs_____________6.9 rbs

6.5 asts____________6.2 asts

0.38 blks___________1.05 blks

1.26 sts____________0.72 sts

.453 fg%___________.526 fg%

.791 ft%___________.731 ft%

.356 3pt%__________.267 3pt% (.429 in playoffs)

40.7 mpg___________35.5 mpg

Eff +19.01__________Eff +20.09

13 double doubles____17 double-doubles

0 triple-doubles______3 triple-doubles

70 million___________40-45 million

So let me spell it out for you. Boris Diaw, whom is on his rookie deal and plays 5 fewer mins, is not only better overall then your 70 million dollar franchise player, but will make 30 mil less. Now tell me, Hawks fans, which deal is better?

Who is LOL'ng now, hmmm?

You and Billy Knight, OWNED .

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives...diaw_extension/

You have go to be kidding me? If Phoenix pays Diaw even the 8 million per year number they have lost their mind. With Amare coming back, they will see Diaw's numbers and effectiveness diminish. If they pay him 10 million that he wants I will troll the Phoenix board until they beg for mercy.

LoL.

Where do I begin.

So let me spell it out for you. Boris Diaw, whom is on his rookie deal and plays 5 fewer mins, is not only better overall then your 70 million dollar franchise player, but will make 30 mil less. Now tell me, Hawks fans, which deal is better?

Who is LOL'ng now, hmmm?

You and Billy Knight, Owned.

oh I am hardly owned!

Not only will Atlanta be contending for a lower level playoff spot this year, unlike Pheonix our team is built for the long haul.

if you look at the two rosters and come to any conclusion other than Atlanta will own Pheonix in 3 years you are drinking some serious homer koolaid!

In exchange for Joe Johnson the Pheonix Suns will receive the bad contract they sign the overachieving Diaw to along with the cash they traded for the Boston pick coupled with the mid teens pick they get from us this year which they'll probably turn into more cash.

so in essence you'll wind up with a richer owner and a player that prostituted you for a contract much like Al Harrington did us.

Welcome to the club son, we've got jackets!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LoL.

Where do I begin.

Who is LOL'ng now, hmmm?

You and Billy Knight, Owned.

oh I am hardly owned!

Not only will Atlanta be contending for a lower level playoff spot this year, unlike Pheonix our team is built for the long haul.

if you look at the two rosters and come to any conclusion other than Atlanta will own Pheonix in 3 years you are drinking some serious homer koolaid!

In exchange for Joe Johnson the Pheonix Suns will receive the bad contract they sign the overachieving Diaw to along with the cash they traded for the Boston pick coupled with the mid teens pick they get from us this year which they'll probably turn into more cash.

so in essence you'll wind up with a richer owner and a player that prostituted you for a contract much like Al Harrington did us.

Welcome to the club son, we've got jackets!

You are writing a check that your team can't cash. But if you got the belief in your team, then props to you. I support my team thru and thru as well. With that said, aint.. no...way...in...blue...hell will the Hawks surpass Phoenix in 3 yrs unless multiple players die in a plane crash.

Let me drop a little secret on you.. the Suns are the 4th youngest team in the NBA. ALL of our core is locked up for at least the next 3-6 years. Our oldest players are Kurt Thomas and Pike who both will be gone by next yr, replaced by stud rookies. Nash and Bell are in their primes. Marion is just about to enter his. STAT, Diaw, Barbosa, Marcus Banks, James Jones, are still 5+ yrs from their primes.. and they are all very good already, so imagine 3+ yrs from now how much better they will be?

Now check your team, who do you have on 5+ yr contracts besides JJ and Claxton? What kind of long term security does your team has for the forseeable future? What if Smith and Childress leave after the 07-08 season?

Marion is signed for the next 3 seasons, Nash and Bell for 4, Amare and Banks for 5, Barbosa and soon-to-be Diaw for the next 6. And our 3 draft picks in the stacked draft next year for the next 4 yrs at least.

Oh my Hawks fan, my team isn't going no where from the top. Not for a very, very long time.

While I think some of the things you said have kernel of truth, much of it is patently false.

Quote:

Let me drop a little secret on you....the Suns are the 4th youngest team in the NBA

Of the top of my head, these teams are all significantly younger:

Atlanta

Toronto

Chicago

Cleveland

LA Clippers

New Orleans

Portland

Boston

Charlotte

Orlando

Milwaukee

Golden State

New York (yes, even New York)

I don't feel like going through all the teams to find out just how many are younger, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Suns are older than average. If you want to look at average ages, you can go to ESPN.com.

I'm not saying they're old, and I'm not saying the Hawks have anything on the Suns. I'm just saying you're wrong about this *fact* you so adamantly and confidently state.

Quote:

Marion is just about to enter his [prime]

If by "prime" you mean "decline", then I agree. It's widely accepted that NBA players enter their primes between the ages of 24 and 27, with 26-27 being the most common age to have a career year. Most players begin to decline in the range of 29-32, and the descent is generally faster than the ascent. There are always exceptions, of course, but it's silly to count on them.

Finally, to say that James Jones is "already very good" at age 25 and expected to be better in 3+ years is silly, given that he hasn't really shown that much to date. I mean you have written off Marvin Williams at age 19 in another post, claiming that he "won't be any good". You obviously expect your own players to improve (even after age 30) while the Hawks teenage players stay exactly the same or get worse. Do you see the contradiction here?

I think the Suns are a great team, and I enjoy watching them, but I think you are unable to see your team or yourself from any sort of objective point of view. You expect all of the Hawks players to decline while the Suns all peak at un-natural ages.

You are certain that a 32-year-old Steve Nash will play well until 40, using the rare example of John Stockton. However, you conveniently ignore the much more common case for other great points:

Isaiah Thomas retired at 32

Mark Price declined severely after 30, retiring at 33

Tim Hardaway declined severely after 33

Gary Payton suddenly lost it at 34

Walt Frazier became injury-prone after 32

Bob Cousy began his rapid decline at 32

Oscar Robertson declined more gradually after age 31, playing his last "good" season at 34

You ignore all of these cases of resilient point guards, blinded by hope, despite the fact that Nash relies on his youthful quickness more than any of these. He's a great player, and I hope he plays a long time because I like watching him, but you never know when an NBA player is going to hit a wall. From this list, it looks like 32 or 33 would be a good guess. Whatever is the case, I would bet last season was Nash's best. This season may be very good, too, but I wouldn't count on too many more. The time is NOW for the Suns. In 3 years, you might be asking some tough questions such as whether to trade Marion while he still has some value or whether Nash should just go ahead and bow out gracefully.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives...diaw_extension/

LoL.

Where do I begin.

Who is LOL'ng now, hmmm?

If you think the stats on the right are better than the stats on the left them you are blinder than Stevie Wonder. Jojo beats or matches him in pretty much every category, but to boost him up, you throw in inflated playoff stats. Also keep in mind that Jojo has about 3 years of good production as opposed to Boris' one year. Go ahead and pay that stiff 10 million dollars...but then again your franchise is too cheap to pay for Kandi man's plane ticket..so it probably won't happen.

• Moderators

phx suns - I think the Suns are taking some unfair bashing here but you lose a LOT of credibility when you try to make it out like Boris Diaw is better than Joe Johnson. Diaw is not on the same level as JJ. Arguing stats on that is like arguing from stats that Jason Terry at him prime was comparable to Jason Kidd because he scored more, shot a much better %, etc.

Nash, Marion and Amare are all much better than Diaw and Diaw has prospered because he is playing in his ideal style with a host of offensively talented players. Nash, Marion, JJ, Amare, etc. all could play in a variety of styles with or without stud teammates and be great.

Diaw is going to have to show a lot more for a lot longer to get me to believe he is near any of those guys.

Quote:

While I think some of the things you said have kernel of truth, much of it is patently false.

Quote:

Let me drop a little secret on you....the Suns are the 4th youngest team in the NBA

Of the top of my head, these teams are all significantly younger:

Atlanta

Toronto

Chicago

Cleveland

LA Clippers

New Orleans

Portland

Boston

Charlotte

Orlando

Milwaukee

Golden State

New York (yes, even New York)

I don't feel like going through all the teams to find out just how many are younger, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Suns are older than average. If you want to look at average ages, you can go to ESPN.com.

I'm not saying they're old, and I'm not saying the Hawks have anything on the Suns. I'm just saying you're wrong about this *fact* you so adamantly and confidently state.

Quote:

Marion is just about to enter his [prime]

If by "prime" you mean "decline", then I agree. It's widely accepted that NBA players enter their primes between the ages of 24 and 27, with 26-27 being the most common age to have a career year. Most players begin to decline in the range of 29-32, and the descent is generally faster than the ascent. There are always exceptions, of course, but it's silly to count on them.

Finally, to say that James Jones is "already very good" at age 25 and expected to be better in 3+ years is silly, given that he hasn't really shown that much to date. I mean you have written off Marvin Williams at age 19 in another post, claiming that he "won't be any good". You obviously expect your own players to improve (even after age 30) while the Hawks teenage players stay exactly the same or get worse. Do you see the contradiction here?

I think the Suns are a great team, and I enjoy watching them, but I think you are unable to see your team or yourself from any sort of objective point of view. You expect all of the Hawks players to decline while the Suns all peak at un-natural ages.

You are certain that a 32-year-old Steve Nash will play well until 40, using the rare example of John Stockton. However, you conveniently ignore the much more common case for other great points:

Isaiah Thomas retired at 32

Mark Price declined severely after 30, retiring at 33

Tim Hardaway declined severely after 33

Gary Payton suddenly lost it at 34

Walt Frazier became injury-prone after 32

Bob Cousy began his rapid decline at 32

Oscar Robertson declined more gradually after age 31, playing his last "good" season at 34

You ignore all of these cases of resilient point guards, blinded by hope, despite the fact that Nash relies on his youthful quickness more than any of these. He's a great player, and I hope he plays a long time because I like watching him, but you never know when an NBA player is going to hit a wall. From this list, it looks like 32 or 33 would be a good guess. Whatever is the case, I would bet last season was Nash's best. This season may be very good, too, but I wouldn't count on too many more. The time is NOW for the Suns. In 3 years, you might be asking some tough questions such as whether to trade Marion while he still has some value or whether Nash should just go ahead and bow out gracefully.

I appologized for calling Marvin a bust, but he won't be the best player in that draft, ever. I hope he'll at least become a good contributer that can give you guys some substance. This is a key year for him, I'll change my tune altogether if he averages double figures.

James Jones isn't part of the core, our core is Steve, Amare, Shawn, Diaw, Barbosa, and Raja. But James is a solid player that was giving us 12-15 pts per game until injuries slowed him down for the entire second half of the season. I expect the dude to blow up this year. Both he and Marvin should improve, hopefully.

Steve Nash plays soccer in the offseason, the man is in tremendous shape. No one runs around the floor as much as Steve Nash does, which is the reason why we want to rest him more. No I do not expect him to suddenly forget how to play, he just came off his best statistical season at the age of 32! None of those guys you listed can say that they had their best year at that age, their time had already passed. Therefore I can state with confidence that Nash has more than a few years of being a very good point guard left in him. Plus the fact that he won't have to run around so much now that he can just dump it into Amare in the post, and will get more rest due to our defensive stud stopper Marcus Banks.

Every team saids 'this is the year Nash starts going down'. They have said it for the last 3 years. Come on, give it a rest. He's great now, so what if he's just very good next year? A very good Nash is more than what we need, and is still the best PG in the league.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LoL.

Where do I begin.

Who is LOL'ng now, hmmm?

If you think the stats on the right are better than the stats on the left them you are blinder than Stevie Wonder. Jojo beats or matches him in pretty much every category, but to boost him up, you throw in inflated playoff stats. Also keep in mind that Jojo has about 3 years of good production as opposed to Boris' one year. Go ahead and pay that stiff 10 million dollars...but then again your franchise is too cheap to pay for Kandi man's plane ticket..so it probably won't happen.

Your right about one thing. Diaw just finished his 3rd year and JJ his 5th....and Diaw's already better or at least just as good.

Maybe its denial on your part, but I could never look someone in the eye after seeing those stats and say that Joe Johnson is worth 30 mil dollars more than Boris Diaw. 3 triple doubles? And he did it without Nash even playing in those games, and did it playing PG!

He is the ONLY player in the NBA that can play PG, SG (I thought he couldn't shoot, Billy? Could have fooled me), SF, PF, and Center. And he's just in his 4th yr now, so that means he's just scratching the surface of his potential? The dude is a STUD. How can anyone of you say he isn't worth 8-10 mil a year? Diaw is about to blow up, and Knight will be left looking even more stupid for trading him + 2 draft picks.

Diaw is younger, plays ALL positions, is a triple double waiting to happen, makes everyone around better, shoots better, is better in the post, and does it all in fewer mins...and he got even better in the playoffs! If Diaw is worth 8-10 mil/yr, then Joe Johnson is worth 6-8 million/yr. It was a pleasure watching Leandro Barbosa eat him alive in the world championships anyways.

Oh and about the cheap owner thing, don't make me laugh at you son. Don't ever, everrrrrr accuse ANY owner of being cheap when your owners won't even let you sign players for more than 1 yr deals.

Phx Suns- over 65 million dollar payroll. 10th in the NBA

Atl Hawks- over 44 million dollar payroll. 29th in the NBA

Thank you and good night, OWNED.

Quote:

phx suns - I think the Suns are taking some unfair bashing here but you lose a LOT of credibility when you try to make it out like Boris Diaw is better than Joe Johnson. Diaw is not on the same level as JJ. Arguing stats on that is like arguing from stats that Jason Terry at him prime was comparable to Jason Kidd because he scored more, shot a much better %, etc.

Nash, Marion and Amare are all much better than Diaw and Diaw has prospered because he is playing in his ideal style with a host of offensively talented players. Nash, Marion, JJ, Amare, etc. all could play in a variety of styles with or without stud teammates and be great.

Diaw is going to have to show a lot more for a lot longer to get me to believe he is near any of those guys.

I laid out my case in the post above, its clearly obvious that Diaw is at least just as good and Joe Johnson. Diaw's 3rd yr numbers destroy Johnson's 3rd yr numbers. And as shown, is even better than Johnson's 4th yr numbers with the Hawks.

And Diaw may not be as important as the big 3, but we call them the big 4 now. Diaw is vital to this team's success. Behind Nash, he IS the best playmaker on this team. Im just glad that he has the COMMON SENSE to not be a spoiled, egostitical loser like Joe Johnson to demand a 70 mil dollar contract. Diaw is a steal in every sense of the word.

Quote:

Quote:

I laid out my case in the post above, its clearly obvious that Diaw is at least just as good and Joe Johnson. Diaw's 3rd yr numbers destroy Johnson's 3rd yr numbers. And as shown, is even better than Johnson's 4th yr numbers with the Hawks.

And Diaw may not be as important as the big 3, but we call them the big 4 now. Diaw is vital to this team's success. Behind Nash, he IS the best playmaker on this team. Im just glad that he has the COMMON SENSE to not be a spoiled, egostitical loser like Joe Johnson to demand a 70 mil dollar contract. Diaw is a steal in every sense of the word.

Keep trying to convince yourself that Diaw's numbers were better. Also, Jojo had a triple double last year. The fact that Boris had three shows how overrated that stat is. Especially on a team that scores as much as they do. Hell they made Tim Thomas look like an all star.

But anyone who has seen them play knows that Jojo and Diaw get their stats in totally different ways. Diaw gets most of his points on stickbacks, and assists on fast breaks. His rebounding numbers should be superior being that he played the majority of his minutes at the 4-5 while JoJo on the other hand played his minutes at the 1-2.

By contrast, Jojo scores his points on the perimeter, in the lane, at the line, everywhere on the court. His assists come from running the offense, not on alley oops or whole court fast break passes.

Face it, Diaw couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his jump shot. His only offensive move is a right handed hook shot from about 3 feet away from the goal. The rest of his points come from put backs off of the millions of shots that the Suns take per game. Put him back in the East, where we play DEFENSE, and he'd revert back to his 6ppg self.

• Moderators

Quote:

Wow. I guess if Brady Anderson had played for the Diamondbacks when he hit his 49 home runs then you guys would have annointed him better than someone like Andrew Jones.

Diaw is a steal in every sense of the word but is nowhere near as good as you are making him out to be. He is like a linebacker who racks up tackles because he is allowed to run free by his great defensive tackles.

Diaw is less than a year younger than JJ and has one good season under his belt where his minutes were greatly inflated due to the injury of Amare. Hell, Tim Thomas got significant minutes in the post because you guys were so starved for depth.

Color me skeptical before you go appointing him part of the Big 4 for future years in Phoenix.