• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who will take up this challenge?

Guest Walter

I believe 3 categories might best reflect interior defense without getting mired into a statistical bog: shot blocking per 48, rebounding per 48, and net points per 100 posessions differential with and without a certain player on the court (found at 82games.com). This reflects individual shot blocking and rebounding and the overall intangible effects on opponent's scoring. Since a player might so dominate one category but lose closely in the two others, percentage difference totaled between two players in each category will be strongly considered.

The comparison is between Sene and SW. Hmm? I wonder who is not going to show up on this one.

W

LOL @ you and your "challenges".

You and the rest of the world already know that Sene isn't going to see significant minutes in his rookie year. Sene could very well win that challenge, playing in "garbage time".

Shelden, on the other hand, is definitely going to be in the mix against starting frontline players, even if he isn't the starter.

Another significant difference between who Sene will be guarding, and who Shelden will be guarding, is that Sene will mainly be matched up against centers. And we all know how weak the center position is in the NBA. And if he's playing in garbage time, he'll be matched up against scrub centers.

Salim Stoudamire was the perfect example of a guy who excelled when the game was already decided. How many insignificant points did he score last year?

I believe if you go to 82games.com, Salim was one of our more effective players offensively and had good +/- minutes . . according to their statistics.

But every Hawk fan knows that Salim was at times more of a liability, than an asset. We know that because we actually WATCHED the games, not just go by what his stats said.

Quote:

I believe 3 categories might best reflect interior defense without getting mired into a statistical bog: shot blocking per 48, rebounding per 48, and net points per 100 posessions differential with and without a certain player on the court (found at 82games.com). This reflects individual shot blocking and rebounding and the overall intangible effects on opponent's scoring. Since a player might so dominate one category but lose closely in the two others, percentage difference totaled between two players in each category will be strongly considered.

The comparison is between Sene and SW. Hmm? I wonder who is not going to show up on this one.

W

i've given you tons of slack up to this point. you have become a troll. congratulations Walter.

Quote:

Sene could very well win that challenge, playing in "garbage time".

Then make a 15 MPG minimum requirement. It's not like the comparison is FAIR anyhow. It utterly favors SW! Shelden has THREE YEARS chronologically and FIVE YEARS of HS or college (vs whatever Sene played) basketball experience on Sene, yet you don't weigh that in SW's favor?!? It would seem if SW was any good he could beat out a player THREE YEARS YOUNGER with only THREE YEARS basketball experience period.

[]quote]Another significant difference between who Sene will be guarding, and who Shelden will be guarding, is that Sene will mainly be matched up against centers. And we all know how weak the center position is in the NBA. And if he's playing in garbage time, he'll be matched up against scrub centers.

Quote:

"spine", as in "courage"? for posting some crap on a basketball forum? yeah, that takes a lot of bravery.

It is a particularly cowardly to repeatedly insist everything from Sene won't outblock SW per minute to SW is a better overall defender and to not back it up.

I'm sure that was not your point, but while backing up your basketball forum rhetoric may not be your idea of courage, that only makes not doing so particularly cowardly. It's not like I'm asking anyone to lay their life on the line. Just stand behind your subjective claims with objective facts. Now, when has that ever been particularly challenging except in politics. To not do so when it is so easy to would be a concession.

W

Walter I will no longer give you a platform to spew your Anti-Hawks agenda.

I want to make sure you understand I will see your posts, however I will not respond to them until you change your stripes.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever team you choose to root for in the future.

You have repeatedly claimed SW the better shot blocker, then the better defender yet you have not once accepted or provided objective inofrmation to support your claim. Your continued failure to subject your own claims to objective consideration can only be seen as a concession on your part. Either you don't believe SW is the better shot blocker and/or interior defender or you fear he won't be shown to be.

W

• Moderators

I think a 15 mpg minimum criteria and a look at the raw numbers as well as the 82games information on how the team does when a player is on the court and off the court would be the best way to make the comparison at the end of the year. I would be interested in following up on that.

If it really makes you feel great, I will stand up and take this challenge. That's right I said it. I accept, and it will be tough, but I'm up for it. For starters I'm gonna be emailing both Sene and SW daily. Then I'll get in touch with their close friends and family. Maybe I could influence their coaches and teammates if I try hard enough.

I feel confident I can make a difference and will therefore win my challenge.

Quote:

If it really makes you feel great, I will stand up and take this challenge. That's right I said it. I accept, and it will be tough, but I'm up for it. For starters I'm gonna be emailing both Sene and SW daily. Then I'll get in touch with their close friends and family. Maybe I could influence their coaches and teammates if I try hard enough.

I feel confident I can make a difference and will therefore win my challenge.

exactly

Quote:

I think a 15 mpg minimum criteria and a look at the raw numbers as well as the 82games information on how the team does when a player is on the court and off the court would be the best way to make the comparison at the end of the year. I would be interested in following up on that.

I too am interested in the outcome. Regarding overall defense I'm not sure how a 20 year old with only 3 years basketball experience will fair despite being more physically talented. He'll kill in shot blocking, likely lose a little in rebounding, and it could go either way with team impact (as Sene will change so many shots besides just blockign them and SW will be more physical).

W

Just don't talk out of your ass about how much better SW is than Sene and then tuck tail when you are asked to objectively stand behind your strong opinions.

W

Oh, I'm gonna win my challenge. I'm a competitor. I'm a winner. Your negativity only makes me stronger.

I emailed Shell, and asked him to show me something and hit a three to surprise the naysayers. His foot was on the line, but the message was clear. Sure, I'm resorting to death threats with Sene, but I'm not gonna lose my challenge either.

Good luck, but I'll just tell you Sene is a momma's boy.

Quote:

W

I have a better challenge.

I will add up the total blocks for each game for Shelden. You can MULTIPLY each game for Sene. At the end of the year, I bet you $100 that Shelden's blocks are higher than Sene's.

An offer you can't refuse.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

W

I will add up the total blocks for each game for Shelden. You can MULTIPLY each game for Sene. At the end of the year, I bet you $100 that Shelden's blocks are higher than Sene's.

So if he has one game with 0 blocks it multiplies out to be 0?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

W

So if he has one game with 0 blocks it multiplies out to be 0?

You just cost me $100. Damn you.

Quote:

You just cost me $100. Damn you.

The multiplication was on Sene's side. Why not simple per48 it with a baseline of 10-15 MPG for a statistical sample? Sene wil play less important minutes but he's also the least experienced basketball prospects drafted (perhaps ever) against the most NBA-ready one. Rather than an algorithm just step up to this.

W